It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

trying to find a legitimate free dating site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So I've been trying to find a dating site that actually works, any "free" site I've tried to join asks for a payment to be able to read or reply to any messages. Tried using google and found nothing helpful. Figured someone here might have answers. Thanks ahead for any replies.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87

Try plenty of fish

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I hate those sites where they claim that it's free but you have to pay to even read messages. It's a rip off. I wouldn't pay for a dating site because it's no better than going to a hooker, in a way.
There's Plenty of Fish. That's free; although, you do have to pay for some features. You can send messages for free; though. I haven't had any luck with it but then I'm really picky-or the women there are. You might have luck.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

POF and tinder are the only free ones...

Tinder is full of Bots though... and POF is kinda scary, but it works...

Women get tons of messages.... guys, not so much... but if you send a lot of messages you'll find someone that's willing to chat... take it from there

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Tinder won't work on my phone and pof seems pretty depressing. Part of the reason I haven't been here a while, I think pof SUCKS. So I've been searching for alternatives. Akragon you're right about pof. And here I am, thinking about the ratio between men and women. And I agree with you Skid Mark, if you pay for one of those sites you might as well get a hooker. And I don't do that sort of thing, so I guess ill just wait for school to start. Seems like my best option at the moment.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Well you're not missing anything on Tinder... You think POF sucks... get a taste of that tinder app...

Nothing but Bots trying to get you to sign up for other sites, but I've talked to a few real people on there...

POF puts tinder to shame... how sad is that... POF should actually be called Plenty of Freaks lol

Yeah man, find someone in school... at least you already share something in common

Though again... POF sucks it hard, but it works... you just have to send a lot of messages

Unless you happen to be a chubby chaser... I'll apologise in advance for that remark

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Datingdna.com its free, and its not too bad.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I have to tell you this funny story! My kids, who were pretty young at the time (about 8 yrs ago? Probably about 8-10 yrs old) signed me up for Zoosk, and put a picture of our family dog on as my picture (black cocker spaniel). Imagine the chuckles that were given over that one! lol. I made them take it down when I found out, but I could only laugh. I couldn't be mad.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

True, POF has the most ppl, for free and at one time they had events, in even medium sized cities. They had one in a Country music bar not far from me a few years ago. Not my type of music, but I brought a friend, I rode the electronic bull and we had a blast.

I don't do dating sites anymore. I even thought geek2geek would be interesting, but it is the same jerks that are on every mainstream site and charges just to see a mail a guy sent to me.

I put tindr on my phone. ehhh...swipe left or right to decide? Not enough to decide on.

So, ya. POF is probably still the best bet.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Oh crap, this isn't a dating site? Well that explains a few things....

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

LOL

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Oh the stories I could tell of POF I had plenty of fun in there, Tinder is excellent also, put it this way... Women are worse than men haha

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
POF sucks...the decent ladies tend to stick to the pay sites.

OKcupid is somewhat worthy.
edit on 2-12-2015 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Try the laundromat. It worked for me.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
All online dating is the same, trust me. It all boils down to what your expectations are, how many people are in your area, and the number of dates you actually go on.

If your expectations of any given site are too high or too low you will either be disappointed, or your brain won't take the endeavour seriously. You need to approach dating on a neutral level with the full realization that no one on the site owes you anything; and, if you're serious, you should attempt to always present yourself respectfully.

How large is the dating pool? If you're in a large city, your chances obviously outweigh those of a potential dater in a small or remote area. Always ask yourself: How far am I truly willing to travel on a regular basis to get to know a potential date? If you live in a metropolis like NYC, even crossing the bridge can be too much for some. Inversely, dating someone too close in a smaller area can make some daters feel insecure. ...The date didn't go so well, now I have to see Jim/Jill at the only grocery store in town. This can be a problem for anyone with anxiety; but seems more prevalent when online dating, as users expect to be able to 'delete' poor matches from their app, and their lives.

How many dates are you willing to go on? A lot, expecting nothing? Great, you're a perfect candidate for online dating. If you're 'pickier', online dating likely isn't a great match for you, or your emotions. Why? Because, as you scroll through all of your potential matches and pick out the few who you believe, for whatever reasons, fit your standards you make a tiny mental investment. The chances of something working out with these selected potentials are ...slim to none. No return on your investment. If you're the type with a long list, make an appointment with a matchmaker, they really do exist, or turn it over to your most trusted friend with the best opinion of you with the largest friend group.

Otherwise...just...become more social. More people meet their significant other through social connections than any other method.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

stick to ATS

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have a Brother who uses dating sites and I can't tell you how many time's we were told the girl he was dating was a keeper. A couple of weeks later there would be another...keeper. LOL

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think it really depends on what you're looking for... If you want something long term... Or a real relationship, online dating isn't a great option. Try to connect with someone you have things in comon with

IF you're looking for a piece of tail... Online dating is the way to go

And keep in mind that theres a reason you'll see the same people returning to said sites over and over and over again

Not saying a great relationship can't happen online though...

But i would say its a rarity

edit on 3-12-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Yeah, is OK Cupid not a thing anymore? Everyone I knew (who was single) was on it a few years ago. I know the digital world changes fast and I'm a bit out of the loop on that world these days.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I will say that through online dating it was a whole lot easier to actually find people that I had something in common with. What are the chances that that random person you approach at *insert location* is anything like you? Online dating makes it pretty easy to find someone who would actually be into your weirdness... ya know, like being totally cool with someone who spends a bunch of time on a conspiracy website. Just sayin.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join