It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask me anything about Creationism!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I saw that there is a thread (several, in fact) for people who want to know more about evolution. Well, though science fascinates me, my training is as a theologian. I thought it'd be nice to have a thread answering questions people have about Creationism. Fire away and I'll do my best to explain everything to you.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
who created us?

if your answer is God

who created god?

We are speaking of creationism right?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yes, we are talking about creationism
Don't forget, though - there are various types of creationists.

who created us?

God

who created god?

God

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: scorpio84

then I am god, hence the egg. Thanks see ya god.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Where do you get that you are God? God created you. You did not create yourself.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Where do you get that you are God? God created you. You did not create yourself.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I want to learn about the various types of creationists, are there some that agree with evolution?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Are you first assuming that the universe is intelligently designed?

Are you than assuming that the designer is immortal and infallible?

Are you than also assuming that the designer is more closely related to one(out of thousands) particular creation myth?

Are you than also assuming that the designer can enter our universe and intervene with said universe?

Are you than also assuming that said designer is against it's creations becoming like the designer?

Are you also assuming that we could not create a simulation of our own universe sometime in the future?

These are serious questions BTW.
edit on 30-11-2015 by NateTheAnimator because: ETA

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Yes. Creation need not be in conflict with evolution. Evolution tells us how we got from point A to point B. Creationism tells us how we got to point A.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: scorpio84
I saw that there is a thread (several, in fact) for people who want to know more about evolution. Well, though science fascinates me, my training is as a theologian. I thought it'd be nice to have a thread answering questions people have about Creationism. Fire away and I'll do my best to explain everything to you.

When, where and by who did the literal interpretation of the book of genesis used by creationists start?

e: for information it's not "originally" since the texts from the Church fathers clearly show that they do not favor a literal reading of Genesis. It only came later. I have an idea when and where but want your opinion about it.

thanks
edit on 30-11-2015 by gggilll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

a reply to: darkbake

Yes. Creation need not be in conflict with evolution. Evolution tells us how we got from point A to point B. Creationism tells us how we got to point A.

That's actually a misunderstanding of what modern science says:

Both creationism and science start with the birth of time and space and matter and energy. Neither creationism nor science knows anything about what was there "before".

"Evolution" is the theory explaining the evolution of living organisms. Science also studies how we got to point A (the origin of life); it's called Cosmology, geology and organic chemistry.

e: and to clarify my position, I'm not an atheist. Like the grand majority of believers worldwide I believe in a finality and meaning for creation and existence, but without ascribing to theory known as "creationism" which is mostly a modern American invention. Like the Church fathers before me I trust science and the observation of nature to better understand the laws and origins of creation, and study sacred texts to get spiritual wisdom, not as a physics or chemistry manual, which it never intended to be.

God gave us eyes and a brain to study its creation. The Bible is a sacred book with a vastly different objective than to explain how the cosmos was created and how life appeared. Anyone believing it is is greatly mislead.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Why did God create all the other planets?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

That is a sweet offer, but unless you begin with "close your eyes and imagine", I'm afraid that 'creation', of anything, ever, is impossible logically, scientifically, philosophically!
It can only exist in the imagination/ego.

There are those who imagine that dumping the 'creation' error, implies dumping God.
That is not the case, just the dismissal of the "creator God" is necessary.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Are you first assuming that the universe is intelligently designed?

Yes - this does not mean that all creationists believe in "intelligent design" per se - but in the broad sense, the universe is intelligently designed - by God

Are you than assuming that the designer is immortal and infallible?

Yes.

Are you than also assuming that the designer is more closely related to one(out of thousands) particular creation myth?

No relation at all. Other cultures may have had an idea of God's workings, but their mythologies did not get everything right - for example, worshipping several deities when everything is done by one God.

Are you than also assuming that the designer can enter our universe and intervene with said universe?

Yes - not only that, He does so frequently.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Are you than also assuming that said designer is against it's creations becoming like the designer?

No. God wants His children to know Him. "Becoming like" is the best way to know. The best way to become like God is to follow in the ways of Jesus Christ.

Are you also assuming that we could not create a simulation of our own universe sometime in the future?

Your own universe would not be the same as the one created by God.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gggilll

When, where and by who did the literal interpretation of the book of genesis used by creationists start?

e: for information it's not "originally" since the texts from the Church fathers clearly show that they do not favor a literal reading of Genesis. It only came later. I have an idea when and where but want your opinion about it.

thanks

As you missed it.

If you are such an expert you will know. So far I've seen nothing that suggests you are a bible scholar. You are just spouting Christian talking points.

A good starting point is the age old Atheist vs Creationist argument. How did God create Light before Stars? A concept of Night and Day before Planets etc?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: scorpio84

Why are one not allowed to have other gods than god? (ten commandments, rule #1)

Why did god create satan?

Genesis 11:7
"Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

Who is god referring to, when he says "us" ? I thought there was only one god?
Why does he not wants us to understand each other? Isn't that the sole purpose of god/jesus, to understand each other?

How can god create himself?

Did god put the dinosaur bones in the ground to test our faith ?

Why would god tell us that the earth was in the center of the universe? Why is he lying to us ?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
edit: whoops misread post

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
When the gods Tepeu and Gucumatz were creating the universe around us through the act of contemplation, they used clay to create Humans once they felt that something in their creation should be praising them (and of course, the mountains, animals, and oceans could not). When they found that clay was a poor substance to create humans with, they instead used wood, but then found that it caused problems for earth. To start over again they flooded their creation and wiped them out.

What distinguishes can we make that show that tepue and Gucumatz were responsible for a great flood, rather than Yahweh?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
So the other day you create a thread about the belief in God being irrational and say:

Do you have a concept of god you think can stand the strain of logical scrutiny? Tell me about your god and I will show through simple reasoning why your belief is irrational.

And now you're attempting to...teach people about creationism?

Pick a side in the religious trolling.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join