It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new ATS server coming soon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The end of the pain is near, but not before a little more inconvenience. A new monster-server is on the way to help ATS cope with our high traffic. But everyone should know that a transition of the current universe of ATS sites and services will be much more difficult and time consuming than our last transition, and certain to cause unforeseen problems. Over the next two weeks, there will be more announcements related to this transition, and the expected service interruptions. We're going to do our best to keep disruption to a minimum, but there will likely be at least a 4-6 hour period where the forum is not accessible. In the end, we will have two servers managing all that is ATS. The new server will be our primary engine for the sites, and the existing server will remain for support services. Transition will be in stages, and some services such as member upload, new webmail accounts, and others will be disabled during the transition period. For the geeks out there, the new machine is: Dell Dual 2.8 GHz Xeon, 4 gig ECC RAM, 73 gig SCSI RAID, running RedHat Enterprise. Overall, about 2x the server horsepower, 2x system bus speed, and 5x HD speed compared to our current server.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The end of the pain is near, but not before a little more inconvenience.

A new monster-server is on the way to help ATS cope with our high traffic. But everyone should know that a transition of the current universe of ATS sites and services will be much more difficult and time consuming than our last transition, and certain to cause unforeseen problems.

For the geeks out there, the new machine is:
Dell Dual 2.8 GHz Xeon, 4 gig ECC RAM, 73 gig SCSI RAID, running RedHat Enterprise. Overall, about 2x the server horsepower, 2x system bus speed, and 5x HD speed compared to our current server.

Ayy Caramba!!! Wow impressive. Thank you Sir.

And where do we send donations to help defray the cost of this advancement?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm And where do we send donations to help defray the cost of this advancement?
As always, the best thing members (who are concerned about costs) can do is to continue to develop quality threads and posts. Guests to ATS see 80% of all the advertising impressions, the guests come because of our content, and the current advertising income (saved up over 4-6 months) supports these upgrades.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Dell Dual 2.8 GHz Xeon, 4 gig ECC RAM, 73 gig SCSI RAID, running RedHat Enterprise. Overall, about 2x the server horsepower, 2x system bus speed, and 5x HD speed compared to our current server.

Will you get me one if I ask reeeeeel nice? PPPLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEE?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
ATS is gonna go from about 450HP to 1000HP...lol

That sounds sweat man....I'll be glad to see that little blue text "operating in low bandwith mode" gone forever

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Wow thats a awesome upgrade to hear about thanks SO no more low bandwidth for us

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
HAPPY to see ATS grow and HAPPY to see a dell being used to help ATS

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Can't wait for the change. Any other changes you have considered? Maybe in the site's appearance and such, or is this just specifically a server thing?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
...I'll be glad to see that little blue text "operating in low bandwith mode" gone forever

I second that emotion.
No more watching 1%.....5%.....5%....20%.....22%........23%......30%.......33%.....51%.....
*snores*

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet or is this just specifically a server thing?
Just a server thing. We'll likely go back to the slick/cool 3D buttons at the top of the sites, as we'll have image hosting on a different server to reduce load on the board server.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

We'll likely go back to the slick/cool 3D buttons at the top of the sites, as we'll have image hosting on a different server to reduce load on the board server.

sweet. i did love the slick(:cool
buttons.

look forward to the upgrade

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

ONE WORD:

DROOL.

That is an awesome upgrade, and being a proud owner of 2 Dells, I can say I am happy that they are REPRESENTIN' here on ATS!

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the 4-6 hour "blackout" period. Oh well... it'll be WORTH IT.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
A little pain for a boatload of gain is something I can handle.

As far as quality postings are concerned...I'm sure that won't stop after what I've seen in ATS over the last 6 months. As long as quality material is rewarded in the way Valhall and Banshee's efforts have been, I think you can count on it continuing.

It was also nice to see that go down just when so many new members were coming in. It's certain to make an impression.

Excellent news, SO!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Geeks
haha Anyway I cant wait for the server change hopefully We will never see the "High Traffic ats is functioning in low bandwith mode" THank you guys for making this possible

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Please restore our editing capability, now that bandwidth is getting a boost. At least allow us to tag a few hours for that purpose through a U2U at an appropriate terminal, such as administrators and others. All in all the quality of this website is looking good with this upgrade. Thanks ATS, and "deny inflexibility," or whatever.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
That is pretty darn cool....I won't miss the low band-width mode

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Way to go Skeptic, by mentioning this, For the geeks out there, the new machine is:

you would of put allot of these Geeks into a short blood supply to the Grey Matter.... I don't think I need to mention where it went to.

Thanks for the update!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I want one. Please, please, please can someone buy me one, pretty please

Anyway, great news for the continual growth of ATS

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
DUDES!
We're gettin a DELL..

Cool..

Putting the old machine out to Pasture?
Or will it continue to function at a lesser capacity?
Bless it's overworked heart..

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wow... I also drooled when I saw the new server spec. Geez... I can still remember last time you changed the server. Seems like it was just a few months away but... I guess it must have been almost a year since? At the time, ATS was "relativly small" (relativly because it has growed again since). Back then, we could have almost made the same error Bill Gates once made by saying something like "We'll never need more than that" hehehe...

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I'll be glad to see that little blue text "operating in low bandwith mode" gone forever

I'm wondering about that, is this mode turned on only to save on server performance, or also to save on bandwidth use? Just curious. I know at the time only a fraction of the total bandwidth u had was used, but I guess this also might have changed since.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join