It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time to wake up!

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

It is impossible for something to happen without something influencing that cause. Having free will implies making an effect happen without a previous cause. It's impossible for something to happen without something influencing it.

I am not talking about having the will to desire something opposed to something else. I am saying that whatever happens, or whatever decision is made has to have had a cause over there was no control over.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Andy1144

free will: the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion

If you want to read more about this :wiki
And i would read it if i were you, interesting stuff
edit on 22-11-2015 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
And also

Even with that it is wrong because people do a lot of things because they need to be done and not because it brings them pleasure.

My point is they do it because they think it's the best decision they can make. We all do what we think the best decision is, we can make.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

But to be fair: you said pleasurable....

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Pleasurable doesn't mean you don't sacrifice your pleasure for something else even if it brings pain. But the only reason you would do that is because you think it will bring you more pleasure in the long term.
edit on 22-11-2015 by Andy1144 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

You should look up the words you throw around. Here the next definition for you:

pleasurable: pleasing, enjoyable

How are we supposed to get what you are saying, if you don't know what it means?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

By pleasurable, I mean the most positive experience possible, or the furthest experience from any sort of negative experience.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Then you could say: the lesser of two evils.

As you said it it did make just as much sense as your abuse of the term free will: none.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Do you choose to prefer the flavour of icecream that you prefer? Is there any particular food you can't stand to eat?
No one chooses to prefer the things they prefer. And no one chooses to dislike the things they don't.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

That's personal preference and not free will...
What does that have to do with anything?
Read the definition...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Read the definition...

Which one in particular?
At present I am reading -en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is quite interesting:

The six orthodox (astika) schools of thought in Hindu philosophy do not agree with each other entirely on the question of free will. For the Samkhya, for instance, matter is without any freedom, and soul lacks any ability to control the unfolding of matter. The only real freedom (kaivalya) consists in realizing the ultimate separateness of matter and self.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Good, that was the term Andy.... had a few problems in comprehending, the difference between impuls and free will to be precise.
Maybe you can explain what he ment without confusing everyone by using the wrong words?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Good, that was the term Andy.... had a few problems in comprehending, the difference between impuls and free will to be precise.
Maybe you can explain what he ment without confusing everyone by using the wrong words?

Maybe you can elaborate - your post is unclear. And impulse is spelt impulse by the way - I think that is what you mean when you write 'impuls' - I could be wrong?
edit on 23-11-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Let's not go around in 80 pages for this. We can obviously follow the thoughts/feelings and impulses to do what we think is the best option possible. But how we do that is out of out control. Whatever next thought or feeling happens is our of our control.

edit on 23-11-2015 by Andy1144 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-11-2015 by Andy1144 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Thankfully we can wait for more thoughts and than choose what feels right. Once we chose, after that, the result is out of our control the responsibility stays with the acteur.
edit on 23-11-2015 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You only choose what feels right to your brain. Your brain is shaped from forces beyond control, so you can't choose what you desire on a grander scale. You can only do so if your brain has been conditioned in some way to make that choice.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You need to establish a whole lot of things before your statement can actually be considered factual.

Who are "you"?

What is control?

What do you desire on a grander scale?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

My brain is shaped by experience, logical capability and my interpretation, not mystery forces. I can learn and enhance my capability, i can decide which interpretation i want. The experiences i have are out of my control, but i don't have to follow the drunken man into a dark street... So i can choose if i really want to experience everything the universe offers me.

Conditioning can be broken.

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join