It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy born with no brain then 2 years later giggled and said "Mum"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Isn't there a "brain" type formation in the solar plexus? Could this take over some of the functions of the missing brain?

The neurons outside the brain don't serve any purpose towards 'higher function'. That I know of.

And the word "mum" is just a sound and may not be related to the child understanding that "mum" means mother.

If it makes any difference the article quotes the mother saying it was "mummy" and not "mum".

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I am sure that the child is a great study case for scientist to see how far the infant will go and develop with what nature has provided him.

He is not completely without a brain he does have a brain stem, for now is enough to keep him alive but as he grows and develop I can only imagine the scientist to see if the brain stem will keep up with the body needs or if the brain stem is able to grow.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
How can he hear if he doesn't have the part of the brain that allows for hearing to occur? If he can't hear the word "mummy" then how does he know to say it?

I think this might be a little bit of wishful thinking on the mom's part. Maybe the baby mumbled something that sounded like "mummy" and she mistook it as him calling her mummy? Maybe I'm wrong but this seems a little TOO good to be true. Awesome and amazing story if true.
edit on 10/28/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
now im not going to call the mother a liar
but how clear were these words?
would it be possible that a grief stricken mother desperate to believe her child will have a normal fulfilling life mistook unintelligible noises for genuine communication?

(because i think that would be very possible)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hilary was born without a brain and she can say lots of words, like : "its not my fault", " I didn't do it", "women", "no legalization", "Monsanto" and maybe a few nore.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

It took me a while to get that one but I finally got it,

You just made my day.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

This baby just being alive is quite confusing because of what we think about the brain or lack there of .A study case for sure and if true ,opens up such a vast question mark on what we think we may know .....I am just blown away by this even if it only has a shred of truth to it .

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I believe that is more to the brain and its functions that scientist have not found yet, I am not very sure that the child was able to make words rather than just sounds, or if they have any meaning as what the mother will want it to be.

But that the child is still alive when doctors said it should not is what will be the best case story to establish new scientific studies.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

The article also states he has said "hello" a couple of times.

In any case, this is an absolutely astounding article.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm going to take a stab at it & guess that the brain stem formed pathways the brain would normally have, probably some yet-unknown genetic switch controlling it in the event of prolonged living. If it could be anthropomorphized to an extent, the brain stem & genes could have thought along the lines of "Huh, still kickin'. Might as well form some pathway connections here, it's all we got."

Pretty cool adaption either way.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Got me thinking, that. A quick Google on "grow a brain" yielded this:

www.theguardian.com...

Fascinating stuff!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Well, thanks for a few little happiness tears.

Simply amazing...I love it when the medical community, so prone to thinking in absolutes, is proven wrong in wonderful ways.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Looking at the picture of the mom and child it seems that the little one is looking at the mom . How does it even open it's eyes ? ..is it seeing ? it must be eating . There would be volumes of medical text books this story would bring under review imo . hoax is the only reasonable think I can think of at the moment . one thing the child will never have to endure is being called a complete idiot .too many parts missing for that judgement ....

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
And how do we know the baby really said mommy?

I would hate for a mommy to use her handicapped son as a media hoax.

Hate to think of such an evil, but shouldnt it be considered?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Uhm I'm a bit sceptical on this as there doesn't appear to be much information on this case.

Jill Yaz, from the Association for Spina Bifidia and Hydrocephalus (SHINE) said

“But what is remarkable about this case is that the brain stem doesn’t control our thinking or consciousness, so the fact that he can do things like giggle and smile and say a basic word like ‘Mummy’ is fascinating.

However, its not clear if the speech was observed by the doctors or Jill Yaz or if she is just taking the mothers word for it?

If its not a HOAX then its an amazing story for sure.
edit on 141031America/ChicagoWed, 28 Oct 2015 09:14:41 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

This is...incredible. There is no other way to describe it.

I will tell you this for nothing though. Every bit of research that has been done into the function and mechanical process of the brain, tells us that this should be impossible.

I suggest however, that the brain stem this little chap has, cannot be regular in construction. It must have some adaptations, which allow it to mimic the function of things like the neurolinguistic processes, which have allowed this young fellow to speak the word "mummy" for the first time. Ordinarily, having nothing more than a brainstem would mean that nothing more than the simplest biological functions could ever be processed. The ugly term "vegetable" would normally apply. Therefore, it stands to reason that this young fellows brainstem has some unique properties, not shared by the brainstem of others.

one more unsolved mystery. perhaps in time science will be able to explain. or maybe we can only wonder.
edit on 28-10-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There have been known cases of people who had just a brain stem and a few brain cells, that didn't know until they were cat scanned. One of those with hardly any grey matter, was a Maths Student at University.
It is these cases that make Neuroscientists meet Physicists and cam up with the theory that our memory or our [knowledge/conscience] could be 'stored' outside the brain.

Size of the grey matter doesn't seem too important in some individuals and Homo Florensis has sown us that humanoids with the size of Chimp brains can be just as creative/intelligent than humans with larger brains.

I think when it is a case from birth onwards, the body can somehow find a way [maybe through other cells in the body. We have nerve cells in or stomach for example linked to 'thinking' - see gut instinct. Or what about memories after organ transplants etc].

Lets see how this boy gets on, cases like this are important for the understanding of our minds and force us to come up with new theories.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I thought the OP titled this:

2 years later goggled and said "Mum"

Blew my mind!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

This is not a hoax, i live in the same town as Emma and have met her little boy who clearly has a disability however still smiles and makes baby noises etc.

Wasn't aware this was his diagnosis which makes it even more amazing looking back.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
Surely this begins the rewriting of the medical journals on the human brain and it vital importance for life and consciousness!

Any smart brain experts out there got an opinion on this because I think its frigging incredible and opens a whole new chapter about the brain or no brain.

www.msn.com... ailsignoutmd

so, the boy is able to say "mummy"......so can a parrot, which can repeat a lot more words than "mummy"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join