It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace John Boehner, stunned his Republican colleagues on Thursday by withdrawing from the race -- a decision that will postpone the vote for speaker.

Fox News is told McCarthy simply said it was not his time. McCarthy faced opposition from some conservative members and groups, but was thought to have more than enough support to win the party's nomination in the vote initially set for Thursday.

It's unclear what specifically made McCarthy change his mind and drop out.

His comments on how the Benghazi hearings have helped to tank Hillary's Presidential bid could not have helped him. I guess the party just viewed him as too much of a liability now?

It's so odd to me how the GOP can be the dominate party nationally - both House and Senate majorities and 30 governorships - and yet be in such disarray.
Even their broad field of Presidential contenders reflects this. There is a civil war that is preventing them from fully establishing power.

Apparently there is growing support for Daniel Webster (FL) as Speaker.

GOP representatives also want to prevent Democratic filabusters and shut downs over core issues and ensure more stability in committees and party politics. Basically, they want to be able to challenge the leadership on behalf of their independent constituencies but without systemic penalties at the Capitol.

“We’ve been clear — we want rules, policy and process. Regular order was the big word from the last couple of weeks. We want that on paper ahead of time,” said Rep. David Brat of Virginia. “We just go day by day by day.”

Interviews with more than a half-dozen members of the Freedom Caucus point to a deep skepticism of McCarthy’s promises to reform how the House operates. They want McCarthy to put out a written statement on his plans to empower committees and do away with punishments for lawmakers who vote against leadership.

edit on 10/8/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The word "debacle" comes swiftly to mind here...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I saw that on the morning news. I wonder if they even agree long enough to get someone elected. It should be interesting.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It's so interesting, especially as the Speaker of the House is 3rd in line to the Presidency.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
It's so interesting, especially as the Speaker of the House is 3rd in line to the Presidency.

Webster and chaffitZ still in the running though. Glad that guys done

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure, at this point, that Republican leadership is a myth.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
I'm pretty sure, at this point, that Republican leadership is a myth.

Except of course the majority in the House represents the majority of the population.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I read a earlier piece about Kevin ...it's quite funny but not really ...

Fortunately there were other candidates. Quite a few of them, in fact, but I will limit myself to the two most outstanding individuals, soon-to-be Speaker of the House of Representatives Kevin McCarthy and the ubiquitous celebrity journalist at large Charlie Rose.

There is only one requirement to be considered for the award and that is that the candidate must believe that the United States of America is really and indisputably a force for good and that it is the absolute God-given center of the known universe, which means you can forget about those funny looking people speaking their odd languages and eating weird stuff. In fact, the less one knows about that kind of trash the better because you might make the mistake of thinking that they are actually human beings just like us Americans.

Beyond that an award winner can be found anywhere on the political spectrum. Kevin wants a really big army, navy and air force because you can do a lot of different things when you have all those toys to play with. A career politician who never served in the military himself he appreciates that if some soldiers and hapless natives get whacked due to his wanting to play at war it’s no skin off his nose. Charlie, on the other hand, is kind of a closet leftie democracy-promotion type who is vaguely skeptical about all that hardcore jingoism type talk but nevertheless toes the line for his corporate ownership by making clear that guys like Vladimir Putin and Bashar al-Assad are really bad and somebody has to do something about them.

Kevin wins first place in this month’s award ranking due to his brilliant understated impersonation of George W. Bush mangling the English language during a speech intended to solidify his bid to become the next Speaker of the House of Representatives. Knowing that the bumbling John Boehner had been forced to resign due to his feckless behavior in being too nice at least some of the time, Kevin fired with both barrels before a group of GOP foreign policy experts, admittedly an oxymoron. He told the gathering of the John Hay Initiative, which is sending out its neocon Myrmidons to advise nearly all the current crop of GOP presidential wannabes, that he will be no slouch when it comes to sticking his thumb in the eyes of guys like Putin and those treacherous Iranians. And of course always deferring to our good friend and greatest ally in the whole world Israel.
www.informationclearinghouse.info... Your posts give a few people some hope I think ...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Which doesn't say much for the average intelligence of the population.

It also doesn't refute their blatant inability to lead. Lead a country? They can't even lead themselves.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
it would be rather humorous if the party was in such disarray and at odds with each other that no one really wanted to take the leadership role.
as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if that is why McCarthy dropped out. He just didn't want to play babysitter for all the little kiddies.

Quite frankly, I don't really see anyone out there, in congress, or competing for the presidency that seems to be a suitable candidate. I think it's the worst I've even seen it.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Blazemore2000

so if youre a conservative that means you dont have any intelligence?

edit on 10/8/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Here's an interesting piece of info:

The Speaker of the House not only doesn't have to be a member of the House of Representatives, he doesn't have to be in Congress at all.

The rule is, "The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker..."

They can pick a Kardashian if they want to, and God forbid any of them gets the idea.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Webster Tarpley might consider it . Give him a shout out ...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Webster Tarpley might consider it . Give him a shout out ...

again like i posted above, he already has considered it, hes been on mulitple programs saying it

So has Jason Chaffitz

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

A Laroucheite. That's all we need.

(post by Blazemore2000 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
it's not only the Benghazi remark, but, it's his actual speech syntax...listen to how he puts sentences together, even when he reads them off a piece of paper....his title would be "speaker".....he has to be coherent in basic sentence, and speech structure.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Wut!? Seriously?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I missed your post and didn't know he was even in the running but know from his pod-casts he would be someone to consider . There doesn't seem to be much dust on him when it comes to US and world affairs .

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Yes, I seriously hope a Kardashian is not the next Speaker. And there's nothing in the 'rules' to prevent it from happening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join