It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is just a symptom of the same problem that has Trump and Carson leading in the polls.

The GOP has more or less taken a giant dump on their voting base, and that has finally resonated far enough up the chain that you're seeing it at the national levels. Those representatives who remember why they were elected and what they promised are standing on those promises.

The others are threatening to try an alliance with Democrats to push a new speaker.

The GOP is really a party in trouble. Their traditional base refuses to change, and they can't pick up enough constituency from Democrat blocks to plug that hole. Either they have to go back to their base and make their traditional ideas attractive or they die trying to scrape crumbs off the Democrat leftist table.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I want Kevin McCarthy in that place.. He is the best choice, to bad they dont do it like Escobar style.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19902517]tinymind[post]
a reply to: kosmicjack

I did not catch their name, but didn't a fellow member of the House send an open letter to "those who were seeking leadership offices" to with draw from these positions if they had any "bagage" which they did not want exposed?

This was mentioned on one of the talking head shows last night. I wish now I had been paying attention

insider.foxnews.com...

Just one day ago, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) sent a letter to fourth-ranking Republican House member Cathy McMorris Rodgers, calling Speaker candidates to withdraw if they had any embarrassing secrets that might become public. 

"With all the voter distrust of Washington felt around the country, I am asking that any candidate for Speaker of the House, majority leader, and majority whip withdraw himself from the leadership election if there are any misdeeds he has committed since joining Congress that will embarrass himself, the Republican Conference and the House of Representatives if they become public," he wrote. 

Pretty coincidental timing, I mean IF there actually are any coincidences in politics....

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I don't know about coincidence in politics;

but I have heard it said that often "perception is as good as proof".

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
Cruz is a Senator. He can not be Speaker because has not been elected to the House of Representatives. He was elected to the Senate. I don't know why people keep saying these things. The House and Senate are not the same thing.

Because you don't have to be a member of the House to be speaker. The House can elect anyone they want to be speaker regardless of their current position in Congress. In theory they could elect President Obama, Mitch McConnell (what a consolidation of power either of these would be), or even Kim Kardashian. I don't think it has ever happened historically but there are no rules against it.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well....Jones and Ellmers are both from North Carolina, so maybe he knew? I wonder what's up with the crazy DHS twist?

But, basically, the GOP is such a hot mess the radical wing of the party is now resorting to blackmail/extortion for control.

edit on 10/8/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Well....Jones and Ellmers are both from North Carolina, so maybe he knew? I wonder what's up with the crazy DHS twist?

I don't know.

Drudge is saying Boehner just might stick around.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Of course it all could just be theater.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Also speculation on Paul Ryan, who had once dismissed any interest in being Speaker but as now cleared his calendar ....

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

LOL check this out:

Newt Gingrich: If 218 Republicans wanted me to be Speaker again, I’d have to serve

Yeah I saw Paul Ryan was asked.

Re port: Boehner phones Paul Ryan, asks him to run for Speaker — or else he might stay on as Speaker himself

I will admit the longer they screw around the more harm they do to themselves.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: xuenchen
Read the Constitution.

The constitution says there is a member of the house for every 20,000 people. In practice that has proven to be unsustainable so is ignored. You can have over a million people served by a single representative now, and with gerrymandering it represents population groupings much more than the will of the people, but because the number of people in each district varies you can't infer that more Republican house seats means more Republicans in the population.

Right now it's 700,000 (apprx) per district.

They go by the Census every 10 years.

Again, read the Constitution.

And here's a good table to see the population of each District:
113th Congressional Districts Demographic-Economic Ranking Tables

The majority in the House represents the majority of the population as much as many people hate the fact.

edit on Oct-08-2015 by xuenchen because: read@education

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Newt Gingrich: If 218 Republicans wanted me to be Speaker again, I’d have to serve

Crap! Please tell me that's satire....but no, I don't think it is.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Did Someone At DHS Edit The Wikipedia Pages Of Kevin McCarthy And Renee Ellmers?

Call it like you see it.

If it's true that there was an affair and it's also true that Jones threatened to out it and it subsequently tanked McCarthy - then I damn well think the media should cover that. It seems it's just a wink and a nod at this point. But actually covering that story would underscore just how crazy and cut-throat the GOP in-fighting and politics in general has become. Not covering it shows just how complicit the media has become.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Crap! Please tell me that's satire....but no, I don't think it is.

I can't.

Hot Air deals in hard news.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Republicans need to stay clean - *REAL* clean.

Probably because they are poised to be in full power from 2017 until 2028.

edit on Oct-08-2015 by xuenchen because: nick.nick

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This says the affair was an open secret since earlier this year.

gotnews.com...

Pretty obtuse of McCarthy to think the "Hell No" wing wouldn't use it to tank Boehner's annointed successor. That article is from the 9/25, why is every talking head on Capitol Hill who has been interviewed about this acting so surprised?

It seems like payback:

Ellmers leaked sensitive details from Tea Party-linked representatives to McCarthy and Boehner, says a congressional staffer familiar with the early discussions.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

LOL check this out:

Oh my word, Newt the Chameleon; the utter hypocrisy of that man.
Like he never had an affair with a co worker, and then he married her.

Get all of these lifetimers out!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The smart move would be to bring in an outsider that is an expert on P.R.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My advice for the republicans seeking to be the new Speaker
is to send your skeletons and "family values" to an offshore Swiss closet.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
This is just a symptom of the same problem that has Trump and Carson leading in the polls.

The GOP has more or less taken a giant dump on their voting base, and that has finally resonated far enough up the chain that you're seeing it at the national levels. Those representatives who remember why they were elected and what they promised are standing on those promises.

The others are threatening to try an alliance with Democrats to push a new speaker.

The GOP is really a party in trouble. Their traditional base refuses to change, and they can't pick up enough constituency from Democrat blocks to plug that hole. Either they have to go back to their base and make their traditional ideas attractive or they die trying to scrape crumbs off the Democrat leftist table.

Strange because I feel the exact opposite. The Republican party used to be the party of good ideas and good fiscal policy. Ever since the Tea Party moved in though, they've all gone completely crazy. The Republicans have dropped the people in the middle in favor of catering to the fringe.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join