It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Consequences of Putin's "Holy War."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Russia's entry into the Syrian civil war marks a renewal of the long standing war between Russia and Islam. Make no mistake, although Putin is supporting a secular regime, and making reassuring noises to his Muslim subjects, it is definitely being colored as a holy war:

Russian church: The fight in Syria is a ‘holy war’

By AFP | Moscow
Wednesday, 30 September 2015
Russia’s powerful Orthodox Church on Wednesday voiced support for Moscow’s decision to carry out air strikes in Syria against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group, calling it a “holy battle.”

“The fight with terrorism is a holy battle and today our country is perhaps the most active force in the world fighting it,” said the head of the Church’s public affairs department, Vsevolod Chaplin, quoted by Interfax news agency.

english.alarabiya.net...

What has been the response of the Sunni world?

52 Saudi clerics, scholars call to battle Russian forces in Syria

By Huda Al-Saleh | Al Arabiya.Net
Monday, 5 October 2015
Fifty two Saudi inciters, both academics and clerics, have called on the public to “hurry” to Syria where they should be fighting Russian forces.

The clerics, some of which are members of the International Union of Muslim Scholars, called on “all those who are able, and outside of Saudi Arabia, to answer the calls of jihad” and to fight alongside one of the extremist groups facing Russian forces.

According to experts, by issuing this statement, inciters seek to implicate Saudi, Gulf, and Muslim youths in the fight against Russian forces, mirroring Al-Qaeda’s and the Taliban’s recruitment of young fighters during the Afghan-Soviet war.

The statement also called for Syrian opposition fighters to “unify their front” and urged those with capabilities to fight and expertise to remain in Syria and not leave.

english.alarabiya.net...

In other words, instead of destroying Islamist terrorists, Putin's actions are creating more. Everyone could see this coming. The Russians have had experience of this in Afghanistan, Chechniya and other places. What was Putin thinking? Isn't wrestling with NATO difficult enough without mobilizing a fifth of the population of the Earth against Russia?

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Wow!

Second line!

Third line? How has the US done anything different than you are accusing Putin?

People who live in glass houses?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Third line? How has the US done anything different than you are accusing Putin?

Exactly! And you see how well the United states is loved in the region. I wonder how long it will be before an airplane hits the Mercury City tower?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Holy,moly , crusaders ..., call them what you like, just wipe ISIS from the face of Earth!

edit on 5-10-2015 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Russia's entry into the Syrian civil war marks a renewal of the long standing war between Russia and Islam.
Gee you must have been off the planet for the past few years if you think it's a civil war . But if you are looking for another angle to spin what is going on in Syria then I have to commend you on your creative narrative . Next we will hear the the Ukrainian Maidan was actually a civil war that Putin started . The west is running out of believable stories to spin in this crazy Washington war on humanity imo .

Oh and maybe yu missed this tidbit of info

edit on 5-10-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)
and this

edit on 5-10-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i don't know what anybody else thinks, but the language being used against Russia is laughable. It's exactly the same language Russia used when the U.S/ U.K invaded Iraq.

Russia demanded they stop any attacks and complained about civilians being killed, but it was unfortunate collateral damage, we all know that. ............ Not!!
edit on 5/10/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/10/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Gee you must have been off the planet for the past few years if you think it's a civil war .

The definition of a civil war is when factions fight over control of a country. Are you saying that isn't happening in Syria? What do you think is going on?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You do realize that as not only being a Vet but a US citizen I am sick and tired of the rest of the world blaming ME for what my government has done don't you?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

And maybe you missed this:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's a strange thing this civil war word . Think Ukraine and maybe you might be in the correct neighbourhood but Syria is a proxy war ...I thought every one knew that but I guess you dont .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

You do realize that as not only being a Vet but a US citizen I am sick and tired of the rest of the world blaming ME for what my government has done don't you?

I understand. Now Russians will be blamed for the mess Putin is creating. That's all I've been saying for weeks.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

It's a strange thing this civil war word . Think Ukraine and maybe you might be in the correct neighbourhood but Syria is a proxy war ...I thought every one knew that but I guess you dont .

And you're saying Ukraine isn't a proxy war? Anyway, civil wars can be proxy wars. Syrians are dying and Putin wants in on the fun, apparently.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: seeker1963

I understand. Now Russians will be blamed for the mess Putin is creating. That's all I've been saying for weeks.

Your confused! I am confused! I guess in a world full of lies, the truth is a luxury most of us can't afford?

We may fight, we may argue, but it is those of us who don't believe BUT question what we hear who will save the world?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
What Putin deserves is support to fight IS, period!

To label Holy War is laughable, I don't think Putin is forcing his religion on the Islamic State, Violence is violence, whether Holy or not, IS have to go and Putin is doing the right thing of bombing the Western backed insurgents.

edit on 5-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

To label Holy War is laughable, I think Putin is forcing his religion on the Islamic State, Violence is violence, whether Holy or not, IS have to go and Putin is doing the right thing of bombing the Western backed insurgents.

The problem is, the factions that he has been bombing have not been Daesh for the most part; he is trying to determine the outcome of the civil war. He can do that, but it's going to have major blowback, as they say in the trade.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Pretty much all opposition groups in Syria fighting Assad have essentially declared war on Russia in response to the Russian attacks. The leader of Chechnya apparently asked Putin for permission to deploy his forces to Syria. There is also talk of "militia" groups in E. Ukraine being deployed to Syria.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

To label Holy War is laughable, I think Putin is forcing his religion on the Islamic State, Violence is violence, whether Holy or not, IS have to go and Putin is doing the right thing of bombing the Western backed insurgents.

The problem is, the factions that he has been bombing have not been Daesh for the most part; he is trying to determine the outcome of the civil war. He can do that, but it's going to have major blowback, as they say in the trade.

Daesh?

Yea, that is a factor that many don't know about. We need to though! Wonder why the MSM never mentions it?

Honestly? I wouldn't even know what the word meant if it wasn't for some of my Military friends.
edit on 5-10-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Putin would not do that to his people. Bush did.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Daesh?

It is the organization's Arabic abbreviation. It is used in the Arabic press and by US government officials.

Yea, that is a factor that many don't know about. We need to though! Wonder why the MSM never mentions it?

Because ISIL is catchier to the American ear. Note that the Secretary of state always refers to it as Daesh. Wait... you didn't know that Daesh is IS/ISIS/ISIL?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Putin would not do that to his people. Bush did.

What do you mean? He just did!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join