It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are alone in the galaxy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sovaka
Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence.

I can't believe someone actually said "we should have had contact by now, since we haven't, there isn't any others out there".

Pfft puh-lease.

Look at the state of our planet... Do you really think anyone out there wants to get involved with us?
Are they also overlooking the fact that there COULD have been contact and the Governments don't want anyone to know?

Very much this. given the sheer size and diversity of just our own galaxy never mind the BILLIONS of others
simply on the balance of probability there has to be life elsewhere than on our damp rock!
the hard part is how much of it is around our level or ahead of it.
just because we haven't found it yet does not mean it is not there to be honest our efforts at looking
are painfully primitive and we could miss whole civilisations if they fall outside of the narrow perimeters
we are looking for. the way we are doing it amounts to using a sniffer dog to find a single mouse in the next town

those two really should know better and DO know better which makes it very odd they should say this!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Not my opinion but that of former NASA scientist William Borucki , his opinion echoes that of English physicist and all round smart bloke Professor Brian Cox who made similar statements in 2014.
William Borucki made his comments in Hong Kong where he was receiving the Shaw Prize in Astronomy , Borucki said....

"We have a galaxy full of 10 billion planets, in habitable zones, roughly Earth-size, [but] no visits, no communications we've picked up. How can that be? Up until now it was just an intellectual question. It isn't anymore. There could be 10 billion civilisations or none. The evidence certainly is none ... the evidence says, no one's out there.

"Just think of what [Kepler] has shown us ...today we know most stars have planets, today we know many of these planets are Earth-sized, we know many of these are in the habitable zone. Today we know one of the biggest questions mankind faces is: why haven't we been contacted?"
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

Brian Cox believes the reason for the silence is evolution on this planet was given a special set of circumstances that allowed us to evolve...

"There is only one advanced technological civilisation in this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us," Professor Cox said. "We are unique.

"It's a dizzying thought. There are billions of planets out there, surely there must have been a second genesis?
"But we must be careful because the story of life on this planet shows that the transition from single-celled life to complex life may not have been inevitable."
"We still struggle to understand how this happened," he said. "It's incredibly unusual.
"We're confident this only happened once in the oceans of the primordial earth. Life here did squeeze through."
www.smh.com.au...

I don't believe we are alone in the Galaxy mainly because I don't want to , the thought that we are the pinnacle of creation in our Galaxy is more scary to me than the thought of a Borg like race touring it , but what if it's true and technologically advanced species in this Universe are a statistical blip and in reality every Galaxy in the Universe only has one , two or fewer ?
It would explain the silence but could be the most depressing revelation in the history of Mankind.

The simple answer to Brian Cox's 'query' or William Borucki's is the same as your or my belief that there is life out there, neither they or us, actually know unequivocally, if no contact has been made.
It's all a bit suss really, and seems to ignore our own solar system's other planets including Mars, Mars being where Richard Hoover swears that one of the Mars pictures shows a fosssil of a Crinoid which are, as he says, "Animals"

It's a bit suss too when they only say,"Galaxy" what about the Universe? Think about it, if there is life in the Universe, it could be anywhere, that could just as easily include our Galaxy. Don't forget Richard Hoover's remarks about the meteorites he examined...his keyword was nitrogen, as against what other scientists said was Earth contaminated meteorites, however the meteorites had no nitrogen where there should have been, to make Earth contamination a true analysis.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Well what if humanity is the last intelligent species on the galaxy?
edit on 27-9-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Interesting & scary. Funny coincidence i was watching a SETI docu today and was thinking the same thing.
Wouldn't it be a huge burden if we really were alone? So much space and we kill each other over this tiny marple. Oh the irony....😈

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I don't think he's saying there's no other life out there mate just that maybe we were an evolutionary quirk , there will be other Galaxies in the Universe where that quirk also happened but we may be few and far between.

If you think about it if Humans hadn't evolved there would be no signals from this planet either , no other creature has obtained that level of evolution even though it is teaming with life.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: smurfy

I don't think he's saying there's no other life out there mate just that maybe we were an evolutionary quirk , there will be other Galaxies in the Universe where that quirk also happened but we may be few and far between.

If you think about it if Humans hadn't evolved there would be no signals from this planet either , no other creature has obtained that level of evolution even though it is teaming with life.

or....the spectrum of communication is so vast, that humans are not yet aware of intelligent alien "signals"

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It's hard to take someone seriously that even THINKS this, after all we have learned about the cosmos, which isn't much.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

He's working on the assumption that any advancing species would have to use radio in their progression through the tech tree so we already understand and can receive those signals , I agree we are looking for just one thing but if our tech evolution is typical then the signals should be there , what we don't know is if they were there but we missed them.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

There could be a xenophobic species out that that cull's or even wipes out any species that makes itself known, other species may be more intelligent than us in that they do not broadcast information into space.

Attenuation means also that the largest radio observatory in the world would only detect radio emissions over a few light years before they dropped below background noise level's and became undetectable.

As for never been visited, well that is news to the UFO community as they have a somewhat different view on that matter.
www.ufoevidence.org...
Take this battle over Nuremburg in the mid 16th century.

Note the Wood Carving made almost a year after show's what may be smoke ploom's coming from potential crash site's, did the Nazi's use there vast Nuremburg architectural projects as a cover to hide there search for and recovery of these downed high technology object's be they drones or ship's and was the bell actually an alien/time travelling/interdimensional relic of some kind?.

So have we been visited, Rendleshem forrest incident, Betty and Barney hill detailing holographic display's and star map's and many other's.

I actually think he is wrong but the silence in the Galaxy is something to worry about for the more obvious question of Why is it so silent or rather why have we not detected something (that the public has had disclosed to them) and if there is a predatory civilization culling super race out there have they attacked our own world or solar system in the past?.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I wouldn't call a species that is hell bent on destroying itself..."intelligent"

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

But you're not taking into account 2 very important things when it comes to electromagnetic energy (radio/TV signals).

1) They travel at the speed of light.

2) Space is B I G.

The closes star to us is the Alpha Centauri system. It takes about 4 years for a radio signal to get there or from there to here.

Sirius is 8 light years away....so it takes radio signals 8 years to go one way from there.

Rigel is a star that is 772 lightyears away from us. NONE of our radio or TV signals have reached it yet. It will be another 600 years before they do.

Our galaxy is Somewhere between 100,000 light years to 120,000 light years wide (actually: we are not sure exactly how big it is....just that it IS very big).
It would take a radio signal at least 100,000 years to get from one side to the other if it's on the small side.

We are about 26,000 to 28,000 light years away from the galactic core. It will be at least 25,900 years before any of our radio signals get to there. A LOT longer if we start talking about the other side of the galaxy.

Again: there could be a HUGE galactic empire on the other side of the galaxy, and we don't even know about it. It could have been around for over 10,000 years, and NONE of their radio signals would have reached us yet. Not unless they developed radio a lot longer ago than that....and then: It might be that they don't use radio anymore at all. Instead, they may use some form of FTL comms that we can't even detect......and they developed it long ago, which would mean that there are no more radio signals coming from there.

There are a multitude of reasons why we may not be detecting any (and I'm really reaching here. We have NEVER done a FULL listen of our entire sky for radio signals. Just go and research on how much of the sky we've actually listened to. The numbers are very small compared to what is out there), and for anyone to declare that there is no one out there because we have not detected anything right now is a completely ignorant statement.

That's like saying: "There is no cure for [insert disease here] because we have not found one yet. Therefore there is no cure at all."

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I actually agree with the assessment.

In 4 billion years abiogenesis has only occurred once on this planet, we know this because all life is based on the same engine, DNA.

In the same 4 billion years only one species has evolved that has enough intelligence to transmit detectable signals.

Basic understanding of our own technological evolution suggests that any intelligent life would begin communications by transmitting signals that we could detect.

What are the odds of intelligent life based only on what we know?

1. Abiogenesis 1 time in 4.5 billion years suggesting extreme rarity.
2. DNA and genome complexity of even the simplest organism is mind blowingly complex, suggesting extreme rarity.
3. Single cell to multi cell evolution still unobserved by science, suggesting extreme rarity.
4. Only one species with the capability of intelligent electronic transmission, suggesting extreme rarity.
5. We have no evidence of any noise in our galaxy that suggest other intelligent life.

We may want there to be other intelligent life, but scientifically speaking it is not stupid to hypothesize that it does not exist.

edit on 27-9-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I find it ironic that the scientific establishment likes to claim a lack of "direct" evidence is proof that there is no God but how dare someone from that same establishment apply that same thinking to the question of extraterrestrial life. People have even claimed that eyewitness accounts are proof enough of advanced visitation yet dismiss all religious notions as fairy tale and myth. This just goes to show no matter how objective you try to be there is always a bias somewhere.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Take this battle over Nuremburg in the mid 16th century.

An invention of Ufologists , the Nuremburg UFO battle were fireworks , the woodcut was commissioned to commemorate a mock battle using fireworks at the castle.

Rendleshem forrest is open for debate but I don't see ET as a viable answer there.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That's more scary than not being alone in the galaxy, i id like to think there is something out there, a more advanced us or something.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Stupid is as stupid does, how can NASA find so many super earths and earth like planets and think theres no life on them. We have even found life on mars. . . .

This dude needs to have his degrees taken away and be sent back to jr high school.

my feelings exactly....saying there is no evidence is laughable....they just refuse to believe the thousands of eyewitnesses from the past decades.....there is quantitatively more evidence than there has ever been for any of the major religious gods. aliens lack of communication with us, says more about their distrust of our maturity to handle it, rather than their desire to do so.

Let us know of any of that evidence when some actually appears.

Funny how you want everything to match some story that actually is rooted in religions, about maturity of a race etc.

What a waste of time believing in theories that you never came up with, now you are disagreeing with the same guys who have actually seen no evidence exists ??

Do you all just get led around by the nose much or what ??

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If their is no other life in the universe.... How did we get here?

We may be indeed alone... Yet we are not by any circumstances intelligent enough to prove it.

I doubt we are alone thou to be honest.. LOL the positioning of Earth and her satellite is a intelligent design kids... It is not our technology..

just my opinion I believe in Big G.
edit on 9 27 2015 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Well you have to realize that the Evolution believers actually believe subconsciously that no GOD exists but some other force with another name that randomly and yet somehow on a percentage basis created LIFE all on its own with a pattern that MUST create LIFE because it is so random how could it not.

They believe they are not religious, yet they believe in the most extreme of fairy tales yet.......that life MUST exist without cause or meaning, and that system that came from nowhere must have some logic behind it that OF COURSE would create similar conditions just by it existing!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Anthropocentric NASA employee?
Skip him..he is just ri-di-cu-lo-us.
Who he is to tell us, that we have EVERY method for picking up alien signals...moron, that's all.
edit on 27-9-2015 by xoenneox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

What if the other Aliens see human beings like we see the Ebola virus and aren't going to risk it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join