It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are alone in the galaxy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Not my opinion but that of former NASA scientist William Borucki , his opinion echoes that of English physicist and all round smart bloke Professor Brian Cox who made similar statements in 2014.
William Borucki made his comments in Hong Kong where he was receiving the Shaw Prize in Astronomy , Borucki said....

"We have a galaxy full of 10 billion planets, in habitable zones, roughly Earth-size, [but] no visits, no communications we've picked up. How can that be? Up until now it was just an intellectual question. It isn't anymore. There could be 10 billion civilisations or none. The evidence certainly is none ... the evidence says, no one's out there.

"Just think of what [Kepler] has shown us ...today we know most stars have planets, today we know many of these planets are Earth-sized, we know many of these are in the habitable zone. Today we know one of the biggest questions mankind faces is: why haven't we been contacted?"
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

Brian Cox believes the reason for the silence is evolution on this planet was given a special set of circumstances that allowed us to evolve...

"There is only one advanced technological civilisation in this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us," Professor Cox said. "We are unique.

"It's a dizzying thought. There are billions of planets out there, surely there must have been a second genesis?
"But we must be careful because the story of life on this planet shows that the transition from single-celled life to complex life may not have been inevitable."
"We still struggle to understand how this happened," he said. "It's incredibly unusual.
"We're confident this only happened once in the oceans of the primordial earth. Life here did squeeze through."
www.smh.com.au...

I don't believe we are alone in the Galaxy mainly because I don't want to , the thought that we are the pinnacle of creation in our Galaxy is more scary to me than the thought of a Borg like race touring it , but what if it's true and technologically advanced species in this Universe are a statistical blip and in reality every Galaxy in the Universe only has one , two or fewer ?

It would explain the silence but could be the most depressing revelation in the history of Mankind.

edit on 27-9-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Most people are not alone even in their own heads!

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Being alone in the galaxy isn't the same as being alone in the universe. Personally I think we're alone in neither.

+28 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
That's a surprisingly stupid thing to hear coming from a NASA scientist.

I do think other life exists in our galaxy, it might be intelligent life or it might be non-intelligent life like our version of Dinosaurs or other animals. Human kind has been around for about 200,000 years out of those 200,000 years, we've only had technology capable of picking up alien signals for about 50-70 years...the galaxy is 180,000 light years across, so if there were a civilization on the other side of the Galaxy sending out signals, we wouldn't get these signals for about another 60,000-80,000 years
edit on 27-9-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Sounds very narcissistic to think we are the only intelligence in the entire universe. Perhaps they remain silent because we are too primitive to handle the information. Perhaps (gasp) the government's of the world have chosen to keep mankind in the dark. It's plausible when you consider all the major religions would suddenly be proved inaccurate. Perhaps to save everyone the heartache.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Another thing, it might be possible that earth has been visited or has received signals...but maybe these things happened billions of years in the past when we weren't around to receive them.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
If every intelligent species are as self destructive as we are, intelligent life wont last long anywhere, we are just a blip in the time line.

It's hard to say life could form anywhere, when you use earth as a norm. Earth position, Moon, rotation and wobble in the solar system is very unique, does it require the same uniqueness every where for life to form.

edit on 27-9-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

Being alone in the galaxy isn't the same as being alone in the universe.

But if it were the case it could be an indication that technologically advanced species are the exception rather than an inevitable consequence of evolution , Galaxies may be like oysters in that not every one contains a pearl.

Add that to the vast distances between Galaxies and if we are alone in this Galaxy we may as well be alone in the universe.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Very arrogant of William Borucki. I hope that he gets abducted by alien.
His wife probably left him and he is feeling lonely.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

You base that opinion on current technology and accepted information.

The people of the earth were isolated for many years. Nowadays they can instantly speak with someone on the other side of the world 24/7.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

WOW - both Mr Borucki's and Mr Cox's opinions are utterly laughable in my opinion. They have postulated a theory based upon the absence of (what they consider as) evidence and decided this if fact. There is plenty of what I consider as evidence right here on planet earth that we have been visited.

That's my opinion and it is based upon travelling this planet, studying ancient sites and consequently postulating my own theory that the absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence and indeed we are not alone.

It just means we do not have 100% proof YET, which is somewhat irrelevant because I am satisfied we are not alone in the universe.

Just look up at night and gaze upon the universe in all it's splendor and say "we are alone, there is no-one and nothing else alive up there - because NASA told the propaganda mouthpieces to tell me so"

What is NASA's announcement going to be tomorrow? and will it contradict or confirm tweedle-dumb and tweedle-dumbers sentiments?

LOL - the delusion appears strong with these 2.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Stupid is as stupid does, how can NASA find so many super earths and earth like planets and think theres no life on them. We have even found life on mars. . . .

This dude needs to have his degrees taken away and be sent back to jr high school.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: everyonedies

Very arrogant of William Borucki.

He's basing his opinion on evidence (or lack of) obtained from the planet hunting Kepler mission , I think his opinion is valid and worth considering being as he was chief investigator for the mission , not saying he's right but what if he is ?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

We have even found life on mars. . . .

Have we ?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
We have only had the ability, to transmit radio waves sense the 1890's ... so.
We have have only been able, to listen for signals for the last 50 or so years... outside our planet.
This is not long and as stated above this galaxy is 180,000 light years wide.

Gonna take some time to get a transmission from anyone or thing.
Now with around 100 billion and 200 billion galaxies, "depends on the expert you ask".
We seem to have a lot to pick from and vie versa.

No we are not alone, that would just be arrogant.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

We have even found life on mars. . . .

Have we ?

Oh yeah.....you don't find that out until tomoz....somebody dropped the ball.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Don't entirely agree.

Remember radio waves only travel the speed of light.

Our signals from earth has only traveled just over a hundred light years which is a TINY distance.

There could be a post industrial civilization 1000 light years away that got the technology of radios 500 years ago and there signals would not have reached us yet.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I hope he is alive if and when the mothership lands !

If even one percent of the UFO stories are real E.T.s then his ideas are already proven wrong for they have been/are here already.

There were many learned men who said people could not breathe if they traveled above 30 miles an hour not to mention the "Man will never fly crowd". Thank goodness most ignored them and continued to push the boundaries of known science.

It is true that intelligence such as ours also sows the seeds for self destructiveness; all we have to do is look around to prove that, however, I tend to believe life preservation and progressive science can and will win the day for mankind... at least I hope so... 350 to 450 billion known galaxies with trillions and trillions of stars.. What a ???? words are not enough to describe his thoughts on the matter... not for me anyway.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
If anyone developed superluminal communication, and the universe was awash with communications, we'd be the last to hear about it.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Stupid is as stupid does, how can NASA find so many super earths and earth like planets and think theres no life on them. We have even found life on mars. . . .

This dude needs to have his degrees taken away and be sent back to jr high school.

my feelings exactly....saying there is no evidence is laughable....they just refuse to believe the thousands of eyewitnesses from the past decades.....there is quantitatively more evidence than there has ever been for any of the major religious gods. aliens lack of communication with us, says more about their distrust of our maturity to handle it, rather than their desire to do so.
edit on 27-9-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join