It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: neo96

no, neo, I mean a REAL theocracy. Like your guys Cruz and Huckabee want. You know.

sigh

And to be logical, the easier these guys make it to enact religious laws that favor Christians, the more they give Muslims and other religions a foot in the door for Sharia Law and whatever other religion wants a law enacted. Somehow, I don' think that's what they want.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Nah - I'm sticking with the false flag implosion scenario.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Totemic

As I said, sure compromise is a necessity. It's how much compromise that I question. Ceaseless compromise, especially when it boils down to one's principles, is harmful. There's a point that one reaches with too much compromise where they discover they've compromised away who they are and what they believe.

edit on 9/25/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousMoose

read the hobby lobby ruling, the judge specifically mentioned the title x money as an alternative way for the gov't to get the birth control to women and meet the gov't's objective.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Ceaseless compromise, especially when it boils down to one's principles, is harmful. There's a point that one reaches with too much compromise where they discover they've compromised away who they are and what they believe.

Yep! This seems to be very hard for some folks to understand as an honest, genuine concept, though.

I've walked away from more than a couple of jobs, and relationships... because of that very thing.

When you've had your belly-full, you walk away. (As my bestie said)

edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: AnonymousMoose

read the hobby lobby ruling, the judge specifically mentioned the title x money as an alternative way for the gov't to get the birth control to women and meet the gov't's objective.

the hobby lobby case was a classic example of a billionaire Christian being able to get religious tax breaks for his corporation.........and with the Kim Davis case, nobody should wonder why atheists get pissed and vocal.....remember, there was witch burning being done by the religious right in America before the constitution came along....

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
Glad to here it. Later, Useless.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

To tie my last few posts back to the topic at hand, it's why I'm glad to see any politician who wavers as much as Boehner, leave their post. Yes, there's a balance that needs to be struck because we live in a nation where the views are as diverse as the people that live here. However, across those diversities are core principles that are shared with groups of voters. That said, there's just some issues that voters don't want compromised. That's why we vote.

I can respect someone so much more who makes their position known, and sticks with it, than I can someone whose positions change with the wind (or the money). I am more apt to vote for someone who has a consistent record, regardless of my personal stance, than I am for someone who's record is all over the place.

edit on 9/25/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Women better beware if that idiot Louie Gohmert takes over. If he has his way women will be barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen where they belong.

I have personally know "that idiot," Louie Gohmert for 30 years. You have only seen the Louie that Louie wants you to see. He is a brilliant man and would make a great Speaker. But, after a conversation I had with him last week, I doubt very seriously if he would take the spot. Again, don't take Louie's down home style too much to heart. He is a very, very smart man.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonofaSkunk

originally posted by: buster2010
Women better beware if that idiot Louie Gohmert takes over. If he has his way women will be barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen where they belong.

I have personally know "that idiot," Louie Gohmert for 30 years. You have only seen the Louie that Louie wants you to see. He is a brilliant man and would make a great Speaker. But, after a conversation I had with him last week, I doubt very seriously if he would take the spot. Again, don't take Louie's down home style too much to heart. He is a very, very smart man.

Gohmert has already said he wouldn't run for Speaker today. He said he feels he's made too many enemies...and, yes, he is no idiot...he's very intelligent. Looks are very deceiving...especially, when the media pushes a narrative that mischaracterizes someone.
edit on 25-9-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

yeah - we need our conservatives - the real ones. And neo, it's no great surprise you can't allow for the possibility that Obama is sincere. You hate everything

If I had a nickle every time someone said that I would be an evil 1%'er the left HATES so much.

The current potus is not too fond of those people too.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
MORE on the rumored Boehner-Pelosi secret deal:

Puhleese...Why would Pelosi or anyone else want Boehner to go?? As GOP as he was...he was a world better than the ideologically ...ahem.."developmentally disabled".. caucus he tried to coral.

things only get worse with Boehner gone...for Pelosi..For the House..for the Senate...for the GOP...for the Dems..

Did anyone listen to the Pope's speech to Congress? Boehner is Catholic..

He stated clearly that the Pope's speech was a crystalizing moment in his decision..

The Pope's entire speech was counter to the extreme right wing's ideology...It's why Boehner read the prayer of St. Francis when he resigned...It's why he cited the Pope's speech as his decision point...he can no longer reconcile his personal beliefs and faith with where his party is headed...He doesn't want to be their spokesperson anymore and I don't blame him...

St. Francis's Prayer that Boehner read at his resignation..

“Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

Excerpts from Pope Francis's Speech to Congress

You are called to defend and preserve the dignity of your fellow citizens in the tireless and demanding pursuit of the common good, for this is the chief aim of all politics. A political society endures when it seeks, as a vocation, to satisfy common needs by stimulating the growth of all its members, especially those in situations of greater vulnerability or risk.

It goes without saying that part of this great effort is the creation and distribution of wealth. The right use of natural resources, the proper application of technology and the harnessing of the spirit of enterprise are essential elements of an economy which seeks to be modern, inclusive and sustainable. “Business is a noble vocation, directed to producing wealth and improving the world. It can be a fruitful source of prosperity for the area in which it operates, especially if it sees the creation of jobs as an essential part of its service to the common good” (Laudato Si’, 129). This common good also includes the earth, a central theme of the encyclical which I recently wrote in order to “enter into dialogue with all people about our common home” (ibid., 3). “We need a conversation which includes everyone, since the environmental challenge we are undergoing, and its human roots, concern and affect us all” (ibid., 14).

Whole speech here...From economic greed, to the environment, to immigration..to the leaders he cited..
time.com...

God's man on earth disagrees with the extreme right-wing..Boehner had to call it a day...his party has jumped the shark.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Accept that he always seemed like he would hold on tooth and nail to his position, power being the most important thing in his life.

His fingernails and teeth seem to have been chewed off / ripped out by the roots.

And, sorry to be pedantic, but do you mean "accept" as in accept the fact, or "except" as in here's another possibility, or he's an exception to the rule or, can be singled out as not included in the group? Like in, they're all the same except for him; or, just suck it up, accept that this is what he did.

Big diff - just wondering which was your intent.

Ah good catch! I meant the one that makes scents in that thur sentence

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Totemic

The current Pope is probably the most Christ-like, in word and deed, of any man to hold the position. Remove abortion and marriage off the slate and the American Right embodies the antithesis of the Pope's teachings.

How can you teach with that big plank in the eye?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Resigning from a leadership role is one thing, completely giving up their seat... that is HUGE.

Yes, I second that, that is a huge step for Boehner. Giving up his seat, too! Going from Speaker of the House to Joe Blow on the street! And here I thought he was aiming for a Presidential run one of these days.
edit on 25pmFri, 25 Sep 2015 17:54:07 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

He was probably afraid he'd be beaten by a no name community college professor like Cantor was.

As I pointed out before 62% of the party feels betrayed. Those aren't good numbers. I'm guessing he saw the writing on the wall.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I'll just say this neo - this is a sad day for conservatism - my condolences

Things just got a whole lot worse for all of us - on the left and the right

maybe...or maybe they'll rally

:-)

edit on 9/25/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As I pointed out before 62% of the party feels betrayed. Those aren't good numbers. I'm guessing he saw the writing on the wall.

Yeah? You mean, the writing that says the 62% are losers and not worthy of representation by him according to his moral standards?

Yeah! I thought that, too. That's why my respect for him has gone from less than zero to about 4. On a scale of 1-100 (yeah, I finally defined it).....

But - sorry for interrupting. Sorry for speaking out of turn.

I'm out.......

edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: -Sorry, guys. Gotta go watch the Royals and relive those great days from 30 years ago....GO ROYALS!! George Brett for President!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Whenever I see someone resign unexpectedly I automatically think, 'scandal'.

Not saying this is the case one way or the other but it has happened far too many times in the past.

I doubt its a scandal, I think that it comes down to him battling the crazies in his party for too long. He is a victim of the Republican Party's own creation, The Hard Right that takes no prisoners. No one can govern under the current circumstances because governing means compromising and the hard right doesn't compromise.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join