It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: WCmutant

Why bow out right after the Pope shows up? Why bow out at all? Pressure? ...maybe. Is it something more important that we could be missing and aren't being told? ...also, maybe.

Like, having to own your conscience, you mean? A crisis of faith on both a religious and political level? maybe.

I have a very hard time believing that someone that's been reaping the benefits from a corrupt system for so long suddenly had a crisis of faith. It's possible, but if I had to assign it a probability it would be low.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

He's a Catholic (Boehner). He was sitting right there behind the Pope.
(The man who was wearing white and talking about the whole global strife thing. And who has addressed the people who profess to actually follow the words of Christ himself...yet, aren't living up to it.)

But ----- what do I know? I certainly don't claim to be a "Christian", or a "Catholic Christian".......

Oh - I do know this, though: CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIANS. No matter what you think.
They are.

And (now for my opinion): this Pope rocks!!!!

FINALLY!!!!! A pastoral leader who says what's real.....!!!!

edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: sorry for typo

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: IAMTAT

The Republican war on women's health has gone from trench-warfare to full scale nuclear attack it seems.

I think he waited to for the pope moment yesterday as he is a catholic and now has bowed out.

I was thinking the same thing. Be advised however that the War on Women catch all net for all things liberal is full of holes. I would advise dropping it as it has to do with PP. Man up and engage the issue on its face or suffer as it collapse on top of you like a circus tent.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I wonder if this may be more for 'personal' reasons.
Clearly, he is waiting to make a formal statement out of respect for the Pope, currently speaking before the U.N.

He cant hold the lid down and its going to come off. And there is no Kobayashi Maru solution.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: Totemic

As I said, sure compromise is a necessity. It's how much compromise that I question. Ceaseless compromise, especially when it boils down to one's principles, is harmful. There's a point that one reaches with too much compromise where they discover they've compromised away who they are and what they believe.

However the US Government by its very nature was designed to operate on compromise. It maintains order between political factions because no one has the power to do whatever they want. Which is almost never a good thing. Without compromise nothing gets done. As we have seen in the last few years Congress has done almost nothing and is becoming irrelevant and the most hated part of the US government. The political grand standing and lack of compromise is bad for the nation. Governing is not about your principles it is about doing what is best for the people. The Constitution was built on compromise and Americas greatest achievements have been built on compromise. Because great leasers put aside personal principle and work for the greater good.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
He knew if Trump gets elected all those criminals in the house and senate are going to jail at the very least. More than a few would probably be found guilty of treason if all the info on their back room and underhanded deals and lies to the public were made public.
a reply to: IAMTAT

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

As I said, sure compromise is a necessity. It's how much compromise that I question. Ceaseless compromise, especially when it boils down to one's principles, is harmful. There's a point that one reaches with too much compromise where they discover they've compromised away who they are and what they believe.

Because great leasers put aside personal principle and work for the greater good.

The "greater good" has been used several times throughout history to commit some of the world's most heinous acts. The problem with that is the "greater good" will always be subjective. Eventually, given enough compromise, that could turn into a very ugly thing. As I've said in each of my posts on the topic, I acknowledge the importance of compromise. However, it could also be argued that a great leader knows when compromise is wrong and shouldn't be accepted.

edit on 9/25/2015 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Stearman65

He knew if Trump gets elected all those criminals in the house and senate are going to jail at the very least. More than a few would probably be found guilty of treason if all the info on their back room and underhanded deals and lies to the public were made public.

Well, again - if that's his reason, I don't blame him!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

so, just what are those ceaseless compromises that defies your principles and have compromised your identity and beliefs? Is what your saying that if yous don't get to legislate your version of morality on the nation, then well, you'll tie up the legislative process till it grinds to a halt and let the country fall apart?
Is it a matter of give us a christian nation, based on christian principles or there won't be a nation?

you don't think others feel that they've been pushed way past the breaking point when their jobs are outsourced, the wages dropped like rocks in the river, and they are finding that the grocery money is running out long before payday? what about those who've had the sheriff coming to their door, demanding that they get out of the house because a mortgage company has come and said that they haven't paid their mortgage that they paid off years ago!! think maybe they've been pushed just a tad bit too far? or the kids that are graduating with massive debt and no job to be found? or the vets that our fine gov't decided to use in their senseless wars that come home to find a society that has no place for them, no healthcare for them, no home for them?

do you really think that those people who are being pushed to their limits in the ways I describe really think for one minute that our gov't should be bogged down because of gay marriage, planned parenthood, and the poor, poor little sisters having to fill out a stupid form to get excused from insurance coverage that included birth control?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Wonder who they'll put up next?? Cruz? (Lord help us)

Cruz is a SENATOR. Unless he runs for Congress, he can not be elected as Speaker of the House. He is a sitting SENATOR, not a CONGRESSMAN.

Whewww...thank God for that!

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Is it wrong to cheer? I did when I saw the press conference.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So what, they want someone more 'representative of their base?' They want a hardcore right wing religious bigot in the position? Man, these people are sowing the seeds of their own destruction, and they don't even realize it...most modern people don't want to be governed by ignorant, bigoted, right-wing religious zealots...as the party increasingly tries to present itself as representing those people, they are going to look crazier and crazier, and lose more and more support.
edit on 26-9-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Boehner was overthrown by the Tea Party fascists.He thought he was a master politician then realized he had lost control of the party.He then truly goofed when he found out during The Pope's speech that he's an even bigger social democrat than Bernie Sanders.His fate was sealed not like being the speaker of the house is important look at how Nancy Pelosi and him have damaged it.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

However the US Government by its very nature was designed to operate on compromise. It maintains order between political factions because no one has the power to do whatever they want. Which is almost never a good thing. Without compromise nothing gets done. As we have seen in the last few years Congress has done almost nothing and is becoming irrelevant and the most hated part of the US government. The political grand standing and lack of compromise is bad for the nation. Governing is not about your principles it is about doing what is best for the people. The Constitution was built on compromise and Americas greatest achievements have been built on compromise. Because great leasers put aside personal principle and work for the greater good.

Nothing getting done is many times there the best thing. And its not like Obama is what most would call a compromiser. They way you write this somehow the house is required to compromise with a more powerful executive branch even after the gains in the last two elections.

Just look what the executive has done, how its acted in the face of power shifting away from it. Look what they did when they had full control. Like that wasn't political grandstanding during and after the AHCA bull crap?

Anyway I say nonsense to your above post.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I've been following this since it first broke, but haven't kept up with this thread. Has anyone already brought up the idea that he made this announcement because of something he has not yet done, but is about to do? He didn't quit, effective immediately, he has almost 2 months left.

edit on 27-9-2015 by msfoh because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I found his choice of in this story interesting.

www.cnn.com...

John Boehner lashed out at "false prophets" in the right's ranks, blaming them for political strategies that "never had a chance" even while taking the government into fiscal crises.

"Absolutely, they're not realistic," the retiring House speaker said of hard-line conservatives and outside groups in a Sunday interview on CBS' "Face the Nation."

I wonder if the words "false prophets" came from his mouth, and if they did, if he meant for it to have such religious symbolism, or not.....

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Poor old John, couldn't vote against Obama because the NSA had the goods on John. Now, for the war on women. If you remember the Republican debates, George Stephanopoulos ask the questions about birth control. This was all planned because Stephanopoulos is Obama butt bubby.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: shellyhk

Don't worry. McConnell is next!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
lol... what do you do when three house committees investigate planned parenthood and can't seem to find any evidence?? why, you start of fourth of course!!!

www.washingtonpost.com... hood/

oh, he'd also assuring us there won't be a gov't shut down...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join