It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Now he can go and work on his tan.

We were just discussing that today. We thought it was pretty good already. LOL

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

They eat their own.

The more extreme an ideology gets, the more cannibalistic it becomes applying an ever more stringent "purity test"..

It started with "RINO hunts" and has picked up speed.

All political leanings aside...it is an inherent self-destruction mechanism for any extreme ideology. They race to see who is most extreme...alienate everyone else and attack their own.

edit on 25-9-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: EternalSolace

Then there is the FACT the reason the House, and SENATE was created was to check the power of the executive.

They weren't created to be the executives 'yes man'.

When all three of those fail it was left up to the judicial to check that power.

When all four of those fail that it becomes the peoples responsibility to check their power.

Exactly. And, that is what The People did in 2012 and especially in 2014. Now....do what The People elected you to do and check the runaway train.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: IAMTAT

The Republican war on women's health has gone from trench-warfare to full scale nuclear attack it seems.

If everyone now has access to affordable healthcare and is forced to purchase medical insurance under Obamacare, then what is the point of funding PP? Seems redundant to me

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Obama: Boehner a 'good man,' a 'patriot'

President Obama on Friday said despite his differences with John Boehner, the retiring Speaker was a "good man" and a "patriot."

Anyone really believe this?

We all know what the left, and the right really thinks of each other.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

“I suspect that there’s going to be a lot of debate within the Republican caucus about who they want to lead them and in what direction,” President Obama said.

“It’s not as if there’s been a multitude of areas where the House Republican caucus has sought cooperation previously. I don’t necessarily think there’s going to be a big shift.”

(from your linked article)

So - see? There you go!! Yeah, you don't have to worry! The Junior Varsity squad are ready and warming up.
No big shift coming. Cheerleaders haven't all arrived yet, though.

*looks at watch*

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

“I suspect that there’s going to be a lot of debate within the Republican caucus about who they want to lead them and in what direction,” President Obama said.

“It’s not as if there’s been a multitude of areas where the House Republican caucus has sought cooperation previously. I don’t necessarily think there’s going to be a big shift.”

(from your linked article)

So - see? There you go!! Yeah, you don't have to worry! The Junior Varsity squad are ready and warming up.
No big shift coming. Cheerleaders haven't all arrived yet, though.

*looks at watch*

The last group of people the president called junior varsity have practically conquered Iraq and Syria. So if the Republicans have only their junior varsity left according to the president, I'll take that assessment. We might actually get a group with some real back bone in charge for a change.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
MORE on the rumored Boehner-Pelosi secret deal:

According to those sources, outgoing House Speaker Rep. John Boehner (R-OH)35%
and Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)9%
agreed that her Democratic caucus would join Boehner along with a handful of Boehner loyalists and moderate establishment Republicans to continue Planned Parenthood funding, along with a few other budget items President Obama says were must-haves, in order to avoid a Government shutdown.

Boehner resigned because he knew that after he cut that deal, conservatives in his own party would be so furious with him that it would make challenges to his Speakership a certainty, sources say. Even if he survived those challenges, his remaining year and three months in office would be contentious and personally uncomfortable for him.

One source specifically said that the deal was limited to a continuing resolution that would last only until December 11.

Boehner’s last day as Speaker and member of the House of Representatives is slated for October 30.

Boehner reportedly knew that cutting such a deal to avoid a shutdown would result in a brutal battle with conservatives in his own party. He felt he could win challenges to his leadership mounted by conservatives in his own party, but thought it might do damage to the House and the Republican Party, sources say.

Sources also tell Breitbart News that Boehner was inspired by the visit of Pope Francis, and decided it was his duty to resign in order to do what was right for the Congress and the country.

The irony in that inspiration, if the rumors are true, is that the Catholic Boehner, inspired by a Catholic pope, both of whom oppose abortion, will be a key player in continuing the public funding of Planned Parenthood, an organization dedicated to performing abortions.

Breitbart News has not confirmed these statements made by sources on Capitol Hill with anyone who is willing to go on-the-record.

www.breitbart.com...
edit on 25-9-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
And if this poll is at all accurate, 62% of the party feels betrayed. That explains a lot of things going on right now. It also says that the GOP created this. They got handed both house of Congress and continue to do nothing meaningful.

You don't like Trump? Blame the current GOP. They created him by not following through on their promises in any way.

They created this mess all by themselves. Now they have to lay in it. And you can't claim that 62% of their party are all unreasonable zealots. They aren't, but they were sold a bill of goods that they feel no one even tried to deliver.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The bigger question is this.

If we need to work together on something....say it's create more jobs. I say...let's create a jobs bill to fix infrastructure and you say let's lower taxes on small business. That's something that we could hash out and work together on.

Not congress though! We would argue and filibuster and shut down congress and if either of us tried to talk to the other side we'd be labeled as traitors. Do I have it straight?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

uh, excuse me for my unintentional faux pas....... I thought, honestly, I had made the analogy myself.
Never heard the POTUS say that, and I'm certainly not he. It was my own, unique assessment of world affairs and their legion trouble-makers.

If he said that, it wouldn't surprise me, though.

This crowd seems to have about the same mentality as ISIS, - so....
erm...

"YAY FOR YOU GUYS!!!!"

I guess?

edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: amazing

When a voter votes for a politician, they don't expect them to compromise on issues they hold most important to them. Yes, those issues vary from person to person and district to district. But at the same time, there's enough commonality on those issues that they get voted in. It's not unreasonable to expect that a politician hold their ground on an issue that's important to the voter. If said politician compromises or folds on an issue that's important enough, they'll likely lose that vote. That's pretty much why Boehner lost his support.

I'm not saying all compromise is bad, but there are definitely times when it's just not acceptable either.

Well, not only is lack of compromise completely unproductive, denying the people a glass half full and instead delivering them a glass completely empty, but you also completely ignore the reality of Human thoughts and Beliefs. As much as the "Powers that Be" seek to produce the illusion of political homogeneity among members of a political party via the use of Push Button Politics, people all have their own individual mix of beliefs that weave a very complex social tapestry.

When you consider all the variables of political, religious, social, familial and personal thought/belief, the odds of finding any politician that agrees 100% with anyone is very slim. If we were not open to compromise, absolutely nothing could get done, because in a world of no-compromise absolutes, any given politician would represent the views of at best 1% on the population.

This is why we see the push for homogeneity in modern Politics, especially among the Pro-authoritarian Right. By stressing certain issues that would require compromise to ever be successfully addressed, then setting them up as "bedrock issues" which provide a litmus test for being a good Republican/Democrat, and establishing the idea that there can be no compromise, they have created a perpetual mechanism which which to manipulate the voters.

Once you buy into the trap established by Push Button, No Compromise issue driven politics, it then becomes much easier for them to get you to buy into a catechism through which they seek to shape your thoughts on a wide spectrum of issues. "Brain Washing", "Re-education", "Political Marketing", "Spin"; what ever you chose to call it, it's just a blatant means of manipulation meant to enlist people into a political party or movement that supports the agenda of the few, against the self-interests of most of the non-Elite members.

By over-emphasizing, to an absurd degree, the cost of compromise, they get people to ignore the much greater cost of inaction. Rather than working day by day, measure by measure, towards a goal, perhaps even via methods one wouldn't imagine; they instead have installed a "lottery ticket" mentality, where people keep casting votes for politicians in the hopes of somehow hitting the "jackpot" on no-compromise political victory on issues designed to never find absolute, no-compromise solutions!

Consider the mathematics of political nuance when practicality is put before doctrinal ideology. There are probably as many variations as their are people. A good self test for political self awareness and the impact of political brainwashing on one's beliefs is to look at how many broad and fine issues you find yourself in complete agreement with on the fine points of Party, (or Cult of Personality), driven catechisms. The closer in lock step you are with any political entity or personality, the more likely you've been brainwashed. The other alternative is that you've won the metaphorical Power Ball jackpot and have just independently found yourself in 100% agreement with what the Party Oligarchs, or a particular personality, has to say. Just realize how unlikely that actually is.

We need politics that rejects politically ideological homogeneity, push button issue, litmus tests and the absurdist "no-compromise" ideals.

We should be goal driven, with the realization that we often have to help others with their goals, interests and needs in order to achieve our own goals. We also need to understand that there are often many paths to furthering a goal that are not only obvious, but might actually be beneficial to people on the other side of an issue as well. We also need to examine why we wish to pursue a particular goal. It's easy in the current politics of mass manipulation to find your self supporting some agenda with no real understanding of why fulfillment of that goal would actually benefit you, your family or community; or what the unanticipated cost might be to you and others.

Political belief should never be driven by "because he/she/they/it/God said", or "Just Because".

Fruitful politics is all about negotiation and compromise. That all goes so much better for the masses when people are willing to throw away ideology, rhetoric and talking points and instead are willing to look at how they can work together in helping each other improve their lives and reach their goals. We may have to give something up for the benefit of others, in order to achieve something we could not have achieved with out them. That's what human society is really all about, when you remove the influence of the few power hungry parasites that seek to only take from the masses for their own personal betterment, no matter the cost to the over all society.

Also realize that when a society as a whole is thriving, everyone benefits in ways that are sometimes hard to anticipate. There is a compounding effect of broad financial stability and societal happiness. Helping others provides real dividends that those who see life as seeking happiness by "taking from others" will never see.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm very confused. Thought you were a die-hard Right-Wing Republican, all excited about the coming theocracy, but sort of in denial that it was happening.

My bad.

I'll see myself to the exit. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

What do you mean coming theocracy ?

As we have lived under a theocracy for the last seven years of people deifying the state.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Totemic

Fruitful politics is all about negotiation and compromise. That all goes so much better for the masses when people are willing to throw away ideology, rhetoric and talking points and instead are willing to look at how they can work together in helping each other improve their lives and reach their goals.

We may have to give something up for the benefit of others, in order to achieve something we could not have achieved with out them.

That's what human society is really all about, when you remove the influence of the few power hungry parasites that seek to only take from the masses for their own personal betterment, no matter the cost to the over all society.

Exactly.
(Heads up, though, Totemic, for incoming accusations of being a pinko commie. Don't let 'em get to you. Stay the course.)

edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

no, neo, I mean a REAL theocracy. Like your guys Cruz and Huckabee want. You know.

sigh

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Doesn't this guy cry all the time?

In any case, good riddance.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I've always thought Boehner wanted to work with the president but was held back by the crazies in his party....either way if this is due to personal problems I wish the best on him and his family...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

We all know what the left, and the right really thinks of each other. 

he's not the worst of a bad lot - I've always had a kinda soft spot for Boehner - the man wears his heart on his sleeve. While he and I agree on almost nothing, I understand him - he is human. Unlike 1 or 2 of the other pretenders we've got in the house and senate right now. They are nothing but souless, calculating, pragmatic cynics and the country is worse off for permitting these jackals to run Boehner off

The man showed some class by leaving something that grows more foul by the day

:-)

yeah - we need our conservatives - the real ones. And neo, it's no great surprise you can't allow for the possibility that Obama is sincere. You hate everything

Read a piece earlier that I can't find now - written by a friend of Boehner - the man had a pretty big day yesterday - personally. He's got bigger fish to fry now

Good for him. To hell with this congress anyhow

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join