It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox news; true to form

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, its now several days after the diasaster and the death toll **appears** to have stabilised a little it may now be time to pass comment on something that disgusted me during the initial stages of the tragedy.
In my quest to try and find out what was happening I began to flick throug the satellite news channels, as you do and as we did during 9/11.

While CNN, Euro News, BBC News24 and ITN were all doing their bit to inform us I was apalled to turn on Fox and find 'a walk around the Reagan Ranch' clogging up the screen! What is wrong with these people? Sure they're into the full swing of it now but I got thre distinct impression at the time that as it didn't happen in or to America it wasn't worth breaking into the schedule for.

I developed a bit of a distaste for Fox during the Gulf War with their ridiculous over the top propaganda style, which was heightened when they slagged off the BBC for reporting FACTS that reflected less than gloriously on the USA as well as other things that I actually felt compelled to write to them about (never recieving a reply), but their apparently callous lack of interest in the Tsunami was really shocking this time. Either that or they have no concept of what News is and don't deserve to be in jobs.

Fox News is not alone however, the UK based sister network of Fox is Sky and they, unbelievably, continued to advertise a two part drama called 'Day of Destruction' "The terrifying consequences when nature gets out of control...." on nearly every ad break for another two days after the event! Again, the word 'apalling' is the only one that springs readily to mind. How on earth somebody in the office didn't decide to can the show immediately was beyond me, the repetition of the ad only served to ad insult to injury.

In the light of the real tragedy out there I am perfectly aware that this is an incredibly trivial matter but it has been something I intended to comment on since the day. I just wonder where the awareness is in the offices of Fox and Sky?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Homer grabbed the phone to order some type of useless piece of ****, and the automated voice directed him elsewhere... unaware he had not hung up, he
yelled "Huh? How can they feed us this crap."

The phone replied, "You are watching FOX"

Sanc'.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
How do I stop the damn adds on the right margin from covering up the copy of the story?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
How do I stop the damn adds on the right margin from covering up the copy of the story?

Maybe adjust your display settings, like width and height. The ads shouldn't overlap onto the 'post'.
Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't know what you're talking about. Fox News has been saturated with news of the tsunami, ad nauseum. I don't think you can just switch on the tube and expect that whatever is on is representative of the programming.

TPL

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Strange, whenever i've watched Sky News i've never noticed any ads for this drama. If your that bothered, use their interactive service.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Grady and TPL, I think you miss the point. First Grady, how would it have looked if say during the unfolding of 9/11 you had turned on the BBC to see what their take on it was and they had a tour of Buck house on when every other channel is covering the event? Would it not strike you as strange or insensitive?

Secondly, TPL, it is not a matter of whether the ad bothers me, it is simply the crass insensitivity of it. Again I can draw a parallel, it would be like showing Towering Inferno three days after 9/11. You would see nothing strange about such a move?

Anyway, I've said my piece, everyone else is entitled to decide for themselves what they find acceptable behaviour from our media.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'm sure all the Networks had a "year in review" type of program lined up for this time..

Of course, the biggest story of the year happened, at the end.

I've been watching all networks that I can get. The majority of programming is Tsunami related. BUT, they are slipping in unrelated news items..Life DOES go on..

It's not good to watch disaster news, over and over again. It's mentally taxing.

It IS however good to keep abreast of the situation.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don't expect 24 hour coverage and I know that other programmes are scheduled, nor were they showing an annual review type thing. I'm talking about when the news was actually breaking!

When ALL the other networks saw fit to break the news of this tragedy Fox was content to announce "a special treat for our viewers" and proceed to show someone having a walk around Ronald Reagans ranchouse for fecks sake!!!!

If you can't see anything wrong there I give up. You and Fox deserve each other.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

as posted by waynos
When ALL the other networks saw fit to break the news of this tragedy Fox was content to announce "a special treat for our viewers" and proceed to show someone having a walk around Ronald Reagans ranchouse for fecks sake!!!!

Personally and first-off, this is not a current event issue...its a Rant Forum and BTS issue.

Secondly, it appears that your remote is still working?
Thirdly, FOX News has been running with this (the Tsunami news and efforts) since it happened and your dribble concerning the above quoted section, is unfounded and untruthful.
Btw, I saw this Reagan Ranch program. I guess you missed the coverage that Fox was giving to the Tsunami efforts, etc. prior to this piece, and I guess missed the continuing of said Tsunami coverage after?

You post this rhetoric ridden topic, aimed at FoxNews, then when the heat hits you, you then resort to:

If you can't see anything wrong there I give up. You and Fox deserve each other.

How hilarious. Tissue?

seekerof

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm sorry, have I hurt your feelings? Is Fox some sort of national treasure?

Personally and first-off, this is not a current event issue...its a Rant Forum and BTS issue.

fair comment, I only posted here because I felt it to be related but yes, it may have been better there.

Secondly, it appears that your remote is still working?

Yes it is, thats how I can tell the difference between the networks, because I watch them. Do you think I would have reacted diifferently had a different network done the same? The Reagan item was repeated several times BTW, how absolutely gripping.[sarcasm]

Thirdly, FOX News has been running with this since it happened and your dribble concerning the above quoted section, is unfounded and untruthful.

Why not just call me a Liar and have done with it. What I posted was founded in what I saw and it angered me enough to want to report it. I am not in the habit of telling lies, why on earth would I want to? What on earth gives you the right to call me a liar? You may disagree with my standpoint, as may anyone,you may also point out that I am mistaken and if you are mature enough maybe even manage to do it in a non inflammatory way, but by resorting to that tone seekerof you merely show yourself to be either immature, ignorant or maybe a shareholder in Fox take your pick.

Also, for future reference, the correct term is 'drivel'.

That final line in my post was made out of exasperation that I was seemingly being constantly misunderstood, it was not aimed at anyone in particular, thats why it wasn't addressed to anyone in particular, maybe you should grow up a bit before you try to tell people what they can think or say?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What is it with you right wingers...you all have stock on Fox? Dear lord, anything at all against the FAUX network and you all lose your minds...

Is saying something against Fox slamming the government now?

Is Fox sacred to right wingers?

Gee, lighten up...FOX news could care less about all of you, i promise.

TPL

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Im no fan of FOX News, and do admit they were slow in reporting the tsunami at first, compared to most European news channels that have been reporting on the crisis continually since it started.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Further dribble to serve my point, dgtempe, thank you.

As for this comment:

Gee, lighten up...FOX news could care less about all of you, i promise

Like CNN, MSN or any other of the like type care about you?
Your point was? Oh, the "right-wingers" and FoxNews being "sacred".....

as posted by waynos
'drivel'.

Don't like "drivel"...much prefer 'dribble'....hence the tissue.

seekerof

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well,

I do detect a certain passion between you and Fox. In my view, all the networks lie to you me and anybody who will listen.

no need to get all worked up about this, unless of course, you own stock

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Fox News has the best looking News Babes.

To say that Fox News is if " it didn't happen in or to America it wasn't worth breaking into the schedule for" is totally untrue. They most likely were getting their reporters on site and ready to deliver; they have been almost non-stop with their coverage so far, both with live coverage and analysis from talking heads.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I find that most people are either for FOX or against it, and its seems to be directly related to their politics!
CNN used to be the only news channel to rely on, but now they are all in the full swing of things.

I find that watching all the others, then turning to FOX- I use deductive reasoning and find the truth somewhere in between what they all are reporting.

Its also funny that America knows that news media coverage is and always has been bias, but since 9/11- NOW it seems to matter!

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
considering that FOX and CNN are both owned and run by the same guy (Rupert Murdoch)

I would say it's stupid for anyone to take sides

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I suppose at times it depends on the story and which side of the political fence is most affected by it when trying to get an unbiased picture of the news. I agree with this sentiment

I find that watching all the others, then turning to FOX- I use deductive reasoning and find the truth somewhere in between what they all are reporting.

Although I find that the BBC news channel is the least biased I have seen by and large. Seeing as they are funded by the license fee and don't have any sponsors or political masters they don't have to toe any particular line, this can be borne out in the fact that whichever party is in Govt they are always saying that the BBC is trying to bring them down because if news is there to be reported the BBC will broadcast it whether the Govt likes it or not. Nobodies perfect but the BBC are about repoting news rather than putting across an agenda.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
agreed... the BBC is the standard on which other news organisations should base themselves.

However they can't afford to get complacent... and the recent fuss with the government did them no good whatsoever

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join