It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"IN GOD WE TRUST..." on Police cars !?!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That's true.
Even if you don't have one.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

If you want to start that go ahead, you are the only one talking about it. I don't hate them, I doubt they knew he was going to do this.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Why is it so hard for people to realize that their religious freedoms end the second they interact with another human being?

Your religious freedom "rights" end where my mine begin.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

And maybe if you read what I said you would see my only issue is him doing this out of his own personal beliefs. He thinks region is getting stepped on so he decided to use his power to do this. If it was a vote then idc, doesn't seem like it was.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Why is it so hard for people to realize that their religious freedoms end the second they interact with another human being?

Part of the problem is that some religious beliefs demand that their believers spread the word. Of course, what that means is open to interpretation. This is always problematic no matter what the subject.

Your religious freedom "rights" end where my mine begin.
Yes. If your religious (or any other) beliefs infringe upon mine, it's a non-starter.

But this topic would seem to be more about governmental involvement in religion. "In God We Trust" infringes on no rights, nor does it, in and of itself, condone any one religion in lieu of another.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

But this topic would seem to be more about governmental involvement in religion. "In God We Trust" infringes on no rights, nor does it, in and of itself, condone any one religion in lieu of another.

I think that the thing that I object to mostly is for the police, especially at this difficult time in their public relations, to advertise the proclamation that they are influenced by, or answer to, a "higher power". That's a dangerous precedent in light of today's political climate.

It smells bad, and I don't like it.
edit on 7-9-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
As someone else pointed out. It's the motto of our country. It's nothing new.

I'm an atheist. It really doesn't bother me. I don't see how it affects me in any way.

edit on 9/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The thing is, what if my religion doesn't believe in "God" but a giant turtle, or some kind of advanced alien culture created a computer simulation that we all exist in? I see the "In God We Trust" and say, "but not me...?"

How about government be religion be secular in every way, taking no stance on it at all? Aren't we grown up enough to have something like that?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What's the point of having the word God on our money and cop cars anyway? Are we trying to magically endow our money and cop cars? What would an all-knowing and all-powerful creator need with money or cop cars anyway? Aren't people's faith strong enough that they don't need to be reminded of whatever God they believe in constantly on government property?

Besides, governments are created by man. It's not like some magical hands came down from the sky and built the Capitol Building one night. Why are we basically putting "Made by God" on everything? That's really what this is, a made-by sticker, attributing it to God (something not everyone even believes in anyway!).
edit on 7-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Ah, it only became the "motto" of the country in 1957 to offset The Cold War and the evil godless commies, during the McCarthy era.

Before that the US motto was E Pluribus Unum, Out of many, One, suggesting the dreaded ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT.

edit on 7-9-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Yep, America got very religious during the Cold War due to the "Godless communists" -- people tend to forget that. Back then, there was a "commie" hiding behind every tree...sort of like how there is an Arab terrorist behind every tree.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Double post. I'm on a tablet...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Hey, if it 'aint an Arab terrorist it's a God hating, Satan loving atheist!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

How about government be religion be secular in every way, taking no stance on it at all?

Sure. That is the basic idea after all, and we do a pretty good job of it, but since the vast majority of people are religious in some manner, and since the government is made up of people, I don't think it's possible except as an ideal. Nor do I think it actually was basis if the foundation. Not "no religion", just "no particular religion."

But the motto doesn't affect me. Its a few words. I don't really care. Got a suggestion for another one?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Most dont realize that Atheism and Science are religions as well

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

"In America We Trust" or how about "In Us We Trust"?

"For the People by the People"

Or may favorite, "America is l33t!"

YMMV. . .

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

"I don't trust no one but me"

"Trust no one"

Too cynical?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

Many know better.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

No, atheism is not a religion. A religion requires you to have faith in a belief in something. Not believing in something doesn't require faith. Religion requires faith without evidence.

If you want to make the case that atheism is a religion, then you also have to accept that not collecting baseball cards is a hobby.

"Yeah my hobby is NOT collecting baseball cards..." Do you not see how absurd that is and how it is the exact same thing?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11

Nope, wrong, incorrect and just not so.

By definition of the word Religion neither of those apply. Atheism does not have a set of beliefs, practices, or rituals. It is just the non-belief in a god or gods. Science is a study of knowledge derived from facts, experiment and measurement. Neither of them deals with the Supernatural, Gods, Divinity, or Faith.

Your statement is just flat out not correct.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join