It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study on teen use of e-cigs could be detrimental to VAPE Industry.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Nearly one in five high school students who said they used electronic cigarettes to vaporize nicotine also used them to vaporize pot, according to a survey of nearly 4,000 Connecticut teens.

The study, published on Monday in the journal Pediatrics, is the first evidence that teens are using electronic cigarettes to vaporize cannabis, the researchers said.

The paper by Meghan Morean of Oberlin College in Ohio and colleagues raises concerns that the rising popularity of e-cigarettes may encourage teens to use the devices to vaporize cannabis, potentially exposing them to higher concentrations of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana."

I believe that this study will be used and become exploitable propaganda for those persons endowed with a zealot's portion of "missionary mentality". This small study could become a significant hurdle to new tax laws and FDA regulations that are about to pummel the VAPE Industry.

The study is small - 4000 teens in CT, but the basic math of 1 in 5 is eye-catching and easily cannon fodder for critics.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with pot. Also e-cigs do NOT vaporize (vape) pot, they burn it and cause it to combust.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: fshrrex

I'd hope common sense prevails, people been vaping wacky tobaccy for many a moon. The 'won't somebody think of the children' bit is wearing thin.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

have to blame something right?
we better get rid of vaporizers that way teens will have no way to smoke grass
problem solved

hahahahahah..what a load

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

More ammunition for the do-gooders to ban a means for many who attempt to quit smoking. Any vice enjoyed by adults makes its way to teens, and it makes sense to monitor and control youth if it's a danger or has harmful consequences. Problem is, those who know whats best for free-choice adults will use detrimental info to instill bans.

"Missionary mentality"--I like it.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bovah2

Probably gonna get banned for this but i thought oil + glycerol + ecig = vapour not smoke

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reddit

Probably gonna get banned for this but i thought oil + glycerol + ecig = vapour not smoke

There is a difference between combusting herb and vaporizing it. When you put herb into an e-cig, it gets combusted. The coil in the e-cig heats up and burns the herb.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

What industry? You can build them on your own. It isn't rocket science (although it is a touch of electrical engineering).

Regardless...this is just more Reefer Madness hysteria. And a good example of why I live way out here in the sticks.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Awwwww, poor vape companies. That is so sad.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Huh, I never knew you could put actual herb in the ecigs, only ever used oil. Learn something new everyday

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Vaping units don't work like that, burns up the coils.....there are devices out there specifically designed to vaporized pot, but the vapor mods on the market can't do it.....you may get a few hits off it...but you will burn it quick, and that is far more expensive than rolling paper.

(post by QuikSnap360 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed. I may not be able to build my own. But I've got enough supplies built up that I no longer have to worry about it for myself.

The vaping community will not roll over quite as easily as some think they will.

They are grasping at straws to find any and every excuse to tax and/or take away what is costing big tobacco millions (and in return the government) in revenues.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

One day, our grandkids will be able to find instructions for making a vape mod on the deep web.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Buying parts off of Cashmere Street no doubt.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: fshrrex
The study is small - 4000 teens in CT, but the basic math of 1 in 5 is eye-catching and easily cannon fodder for critics.

That's it... 1 in 5? It seems like that's the ratio for the general population of teens who smoke.

Might as well say; New Study Links the Danger of Instagram and Pot
"The study, published on Monday in the journal Pediatrics, is the first evidence that many teens who use Instagram to share photos, also smoke cannabis, the researchers said."

What a naturally occurring percentage like that, you could link teen cannabis to anything.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

The article grouped tidbits of several studies to paint the teens' participation in the most negative light...

"According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 2 million middle- and high-school students tried e-cigarettes in 2014, triple the number of teen users in 2013."

"A study released last month suggested U.S. teens who try electronic cigarettes may be more than twice as likely to move on to smoking conventional cigarettes than those who have never tried the devices."

"High school students in the study were 27 times as likely to use e-cigarettes to vaporize cannabis as adults who use e-cigarettes, the researchers said."

"Male and younger students were more likely to use e-cigarettes to vaporize cannabis than female and older students, but socioeconomic status was not a factor. Use differed among the five schools involved, possibly because of different policies.

While the findings were limited to Connecticut schools and may not apply to states with varying cannabis laws, the pattern is worrisome, said Dustin Lee, a postdoctoral fellow at the Geisel School of Medicine in Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, by email. Lee was not involved in the study.

"We know very little about the acute and long-term effects of high-potency THC on neurobiology and behavior," Lee said in an email. "This is especially concerning for teens, who are in a critical time for development of brain structures that are integral in executive functioning."

new topics

top topics

join