It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Found in Contempt of Court - Jail

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

She deserves to suffer the consequences of her actions, that's for sure. The plaintiffs in the suit did request that she be fined instead of jailed, so that was the judge's call on that one.

That's what bothers me the most - that she prevented same sex couples from getting marriage licenses in her county, instead of just making sure that SHE wasn't the one doing it. It went from personal belief to legislating her morality on the whole county - not cool.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Everyone has a right to they're opinion. At least I understand
the charge now.

Rebel 5

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Can someone please show me where it states, in a Federal Law, that same-sex marriage is legal? I mean, how can you be held in contempt of something that is not a law to follow or be broken?

Again could care less and they can bake all the cakes they want for the party but rulings such as these open doors for the SCOTUS to make other interpretations of the law, like the 2nd amendment maybe? It also directly conflicts with the 1st Amendment. Do we see the slippery slope?

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
It went from personal belief to legislating her morality on the whole county - not cool.

Which is why she gets to spend this glorious holiday weekend in a 10x8.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Can someone please show me where it states, in a Federal Law, that same-sex marriage is legal? I mean, how can you be held in contempt of something that is not a law to follow or be broken?

The 14th Amendment.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

There is no law saying they are legal. There is a Supreme Court ruling saying they can't be made illegal, but that decision was based on the 14th Amendment.
edit on 4-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

ya, but the biggest one that I see is the idea that we all can use our personal moral/religious beliefs as an excuse to undermine the rule of law.

there's some scary beliefs out there!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Religion is so funny. Apparently it is wrong for Muslims to force their beliefs on others but Christians, well that is OK.

Out with religion..

edit on 4-9-2015 by lucifershiningone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
BREAKING: Attorney for jailed Kentucky clerk says same-sex marriage licenses issued Friday are void

www.chicoer.com...

MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP) — A jailed Kentucky clerk asserts that the marriage licenses issued Friday to gay couples in Rowan County are void because she didn't authorize them, her attorney said.

Attorney Mat Staver of Liberty Counsel said the licenses are "not worth paper that they are written on" and promised to appeal the contempt order that sent clerk Kim Davis to jail on Thursday.

Staver met with Davis in jail on Friday and said she is in very good spirits. He didn't know how long she will be jailed, but he said she has no intention of resigning and she will not violate her conscience.

At least three gay couples received marriage licenses Friday in Rowan County, embracing and celebrating when one of Davis' deputies handed them out. news.yahoo.com...

edit on 4-9-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

There's a jeopardy question in the future.

What do Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis and then president Barak Obama have in common?

Both were found in contempt of court Alex?

Yawn.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Meh. The attorney can say that all day long if he wants, that doesn't make it true. He doesn't issue those licenses and right now, neither does his client.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Meh. The attorney can say that all day long if he wants, that doesn't make it true. He doesn't issue those licenses and right now, neither does his client.

I know.

Seriously doubt anyone's gonna invalidate those wedding licenses after all this.

Just gets more ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

This is a perfect example of a government authority (illegally) determining the rights for the individuals.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I'm sure it's just crap. Last desperate attempts to win this case.

Rowan County Attorney Cecil Watkins has previously dismissed that argument, saying deputy clerks can issue valid marriage licenses without the approval of their boss.

Read more here: www.kentucky.com...=cpy

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

From your source:

He didn't know how long she will be jailed, but he said she has no intention of resigning and she will not violate her conscience.

That's what invalidates any kind of stand she could even possibly make anymore. Whatever happens to her from hereon is completely of her own doing.

Not to mention that Steve Beshear should have already called a special session to have her removed. I'm sick of him too.

edit on 9/4/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
BREAKING: Attorney for jailed Kentucky clerk says same-sex marriage licenses issued Friday are void

The same attorneys that claim she has a constitutional right to ignore laws if her cult/religion disagrees with them? Yeaa, I wouldn't trust what they say.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

No it isn't. It's a perfect example of the government PRESERVING the rights for people by punishing someone trying to use a government position to push her beliefs onto others. This lady's rights haven't been violated in the least.

ETA: Heck if anything, she is being coddled. If I were a judge presiding over this case, she would be facing steeper consequences.
edit on 4-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

U.S. District Judge David Bunning was asked during Thursday's hearing about the licenses if Davis refused to authorize them, and he said it was up to the gay couples to take that chance.

www.chicagotribune.com...

I like this part, it seems like he's saying heck, he doesn't know if they will be considered legal or not, proceed at your own risk!!

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

This is a perfect example of a government authority (illegally) determining the rights for the individuals.

What is a perfect example? May I suggest that to limit misunderstandings, you be a little more clear with your messages? It's not clear who you're talking about. ... Unless a misunderstanding is your purpose...
edit on 9/4/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer

What is a perfect example? May I suggest that to limit misunderstandings, you be a little more clear with your messages? It's not clear who you're talking about. ... Unless a misunderstanding is your purpose...

And that was my point earlier about beezer.

edit on 4-9-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join