It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Found in Contempt of Court - Jail

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I guess we will have to simply agree to disagree. That is not how I understand it.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: beezzer
This topic has been going on for 30+ pages.

If you lefties are ever going to convince the "conservatives" or the "Christians" that the woman was wrong, then AS a conservative, and AS a Christian, you could simply put it in terms of individual rights.

2 gay men getting married will never infringe on the rights of anyone else. Ever.

Government screwed up by denying these rights for over 2 centuries.

Period.

Politicians like Cruz and Huckabee (etc) are wrong also.

They feel it is the right of government to impose what individuals can and cannot do.

My flurry of posts have been to illustrate how paramount individuality, individualism is and how it is neglected or ignored.

Unfortunately Beezer, someone tried that within the first couple of pages, and as with most facts, it had no effect on the talking points of the far right fringe.

The far right fringe is just as wrong as the far left fringe when it comes to individual rights.

You can lead a fool to an idea, but you can't make them think.

edit on 4-9-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
she does not bother me......it's all of the people that are sticking up for her decision...it leaves me to believe that they would like nothing better than to have themselves and others live by religious law, in place of our U.S. constitution.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
She wasn't jailed because of her religion....

She was jailed because wanted to force others to follow her religion.

crybaby losers!

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

This topic has been going on for 30+ pages.

If you lefties are ever going to convince the "conservatives" or the "Christians" that the woman was wrong, then AS a conservative, and AS a Christian, you could simply put it in terms of individual rights.

2 gay men getting married will never infringe on the rights of anyone else. Ever.

Government screwed up by denying these rights for over 2 centuries.

Period.

Politicians like Cruz and Huckabee (etc) are wrong also.

They feel it is the right of government to impose what individuals can and cannot do.

My flurry of posts have been to illustrate how paramount individuality, individualism is and how it is neglected or ignored.

Unfortunately Beezer, someone tried that within the first couple of pages, and as with most facts, it had no effect on the talking points of the far right fringe.

The far right fringe is just as wrong as the far left fringe when it comes to individual rights.

You can lead a fool to an idea, but you can't make them think.

I would wholehearted agree with you on that point. The fringe on both ends is useless to everyone except late night comedians and possibly tele-evangelists.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

you forgot the big one...
the politicians, who will use events like this to sway the not so informed masses to vote for them .

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Are you implying that we lefties haven't done that a THOUSAND times before? LOL! Because we have. Maybe I'm not trying to convince anyone that she was wrong. In fact, in my mind, her beliefs are not at fault. And what she chooses to do about it is her choice. I'm not saying what is "right and wrong" in the moral sense. For her, she's right. Only LEGALLY, is she's "in the wrong".

The reason I'm here is not to make anyone "wrong" or to convince someone of my opinion. My reason is to discuss the case, the details, do research... to educate myself about it because I find it extremely interesting. I'm fascinated with law and personally interested in the LGBT angle. And I also like hearing other people's views. It opens my mind and sharpens it.

I agree it is of paramount importance.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I admire her strength of conviction.

But I'm not afraid to say she was wrong.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I'm not sure what you mean... Is someone afraid to say she's wrong?

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Apologies.

You said,

Maybe I'm not trying to convince anyone that she was wrong.

Misinterpretation.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The woman is nothing but a hypocrite. So she wants to use her religion as an excuse to not give a marriage license to gays but totally ignored her religion when it came to her three divorces.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

buster I always feel that we people do darnest things sometimes, then forget that the past always catch with all of us.

More Interestingly is how people can use religion to convince themselves that they are without sins when they feel regrets.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Not to mention the loyalty to her voters that elected her.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

IMO, her hypocrisy wasn't in her religion vs divorces, because she is a pretty recent convert to religion. Her hypocrisy was in NOT screening her licensees for sins listed in the bible.

Most importantly, she abused the power entrusted to her by the people, and took the law into her own hands to deny other people their rights. And ignored the other options available to her.

When I think of it in those simple terms, Maybe I think she does belong in jail after all... Hmmm...

Edit:I can't believe I just starred xuenchen... LOL! Good point!

edit on 9/4/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: flyandi

Let's summarize even further:

This lady is being misused by outside interests according to an agenda that she barely understands.

Her life has changed forever.

How she is being misused? She is the one who made the decision to misuse her position... oh I see - God is the one made her do it .. well fictional characters don't count in the legal system.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
she does not bother me......it's all of the people that are sticking up for her decision...it leaves me to believe that they would like nothing better than to have themselves and others live by religious law, in place of our U.S. constitution.

In a thread I wrote recently one person told me the Constitution came from God and that if I can't accept that I should go worship Allah.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

a reply to: rebelv

She's an elected official.

She can't be fired, only impeached or she can resign.

She violated a court order, was found in contempt of court.

She could leave jail at any time if she agreed to perform the duties she was elected to do.

At least, that's my take on it.

Okay that makes sense, thanks.

Rebel 5

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I guess we will have to simply agree to disagree. That is not how I understand it.

Then you are not understanding it properly. When the Supreme Court overturned the interracial marriage laws they were invalidated as well. No one had ot pass laws making interracial marriage legal:

A century ago, marriage between blacks and whites was still illegal in more than half of the states. With the Supreme Court's 1967 decision Loving v. Virginia, the 17 states that still had laws banning the practice found their laws invalidated. Source

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This is correct. The interracial issue was a mirror image of the gay marriage situation. Right down to being a Supreme Court decision and there being Christians saying their religious rights were being violated.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Thank you, that does clarify things for me.

Well, I have to say, I guess she deserves it. I don't feel sorry for her.

Rebel 5

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join