It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two journalists killed in shooting during live newscast at Smith Mountain Lake

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

During a live news update, WDBJ general manager Jeff Marks reported that reporter Alison Parker, 24, and photographer Adam Ward, 27, died shortly after 6:45 a.m., according to Roanoke.com. Parker was a graduate of James Madison University and Ward graduated from Virginia Tech

Two journalists killed in shooting during live newscast at Smith Mountain Lake

this is just breaking, not much out there yet. i saw this on fox and then looked for reports.

i have always thought it strange that reporters don't get hurt more than they do. but from this it's hard to tell if it was just a normal news story or if they were reporting something else like a shooting.

here is another report, i'll post more when it becomes available.
Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack

ETA: just found this one and it seems to be just a normal news story.

Part of the incident was caught on video during WDBJ's morning broadcast. The station was interviewing Vicki Gardner, head of the Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Two WDBJ journalists dead after shooting at Smith Mountain Lake; manhunt continues

edit on 26-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

ETA:

here is a report that shows the shooting, it is not graphic, but it does show the shooter.
2 Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack

and the video,

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I was just about to post this....luckily I used the search function first.

This is just disgusting. Prayers go out to the family and friends of the deceased. I'm actually in shock seeing this, so I really don't have much else to add at the moment.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The lake is popular tourist and vacation spot. Sounds like they were interviewing somebody about businesses on the area.

The camera actually managed to get an image of the shooter and there's a manhunt. All kinds of authorities in the area right now.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This incident is all over the news within minutes. What I don't as yet know is who was being interviewed or why.

Until this information comes out, we have no possible motive for the shooting (if there was one).

In before the second amendment crowd pipes up.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
just chilling. can only hope I'm never involved in anything like this in real-life.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is a sad story. I am going to venture a guess that the killer was someone they knew, or at least one of them knew....scorned lover or something of the sort. Seems like a planned attack to me....whomever killed them had to know where they would be reporting from.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Here you go this is from their station...

www.wdbj7.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The video is over on rt.com, I am not going to link to it because not sure if live shootings are against the TOS or not? Anyway, they were just discussing the resort, then the gunshots rang out, camera man and camera fell over. No idea what the reason was, although another 15 minute of fame psychopath comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
This incident is all over the news within minutes. What I don't as yet know is who was being interviewed or why.

Until this information comes out, we have no possible motive for the shooting (if there was one).

In before the second amendment crowd pipes up.

On behalf of the pro-2nd amendment crowd let me say this is a horrible situation and hope the person(s) is caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I've been there a thousand times at least. Days and nights have been spent fishing and boating on Smith Mountain Lake. I would have never guessed something like this would occur in such a small community as we have here. I live right down the way.

They are still looking for the shooter even now. The local news is streaming live now as the news station is discussing it.

Come to find out the reporter and the cameraman were engaged. They were together.

Sad for the families. Sad for this community.

edit on 8/26/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

see my edits it seems just like a normal run of the mill interview of happenings in a community

link   
Warning on the video...

link   

originally posted by: masqua

From initial reports she was interviewing someone regarding local tourism.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
here is a report that shows the shooting, it is not graphic, but it does show the shooter.
2 Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack

and the video,

Although not graphic, that is one of the more disturbing videos I've seen, along with the still image of shooter. To go from a totally innocent, serene image of an interview at a waterpark to that... sad. I'm going to guess mental issues with a grudge.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Just seen the video and it's really horrific. Even though you don't see anything it's left me shaking.

There can really only be two explanations for this attack. Either this was simply a lunatic who saw them and took the opportunity to lose their mind, or this was a targeted attack on those individuals.

I mean, this was early morning, in a live broadcast about something pretty innocuous and irrelevant to most. There was no one else around by the looks of things.

That tells me that this had to have either been a lone crazy who just snapped and started killing people, or there is a link to the victims and they were targeted for a specific reason.

Personally, I would be looking into the people who work with those two victims, their families and their relationships. If that comes up with nothing, then anyone in the area with a history of paranoia leading to violence needs to be checked up on.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Still image of the shooter.....

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I am gonna take a guess and say "Love Triangle".

Just switched on fox and am watching for more info as you all are.

What a shame. Can you imagine young kids watching this, getting ready for school?

link   
That's sad. I wonder if the target was one of the news workers, like an ex-love. The one story you linked said that both news workers were in relationships with other news workers at the station. Seems like something like this cuz it doesn't seem like a random shooting, but you never know.

link   
I wonder if the reporter could have stopped the shooter if she was armed?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Looks like there was a better image of the shooters face in there as well....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join