It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Plots Government Shutdown Fight Over Planned Parenthood

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Churches can't give money or show direct support to any political party or politician. They can tell their congregation to call their local politician and make their voices heard. That's how a republic works.
Again I say, Sharpton and Jackson haven't exactly stopped.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well for one, I don't recall ever supporting or defending either of those two yahoos. So why even bring them up? I'm sure there is some inconsistency involved that makes their situation ok, but I don't like defending them so I'm not going to go look it up. None of that makes what Cruz is doing here ok though. It's just a Red Herring fallacy to even mention them.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

But their tax dollars don't fund abortion. So what's the problem?

40 percent of their budget is government money.
That's what many find to be a problem.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well for one, I don't recall ever supporting or defending either of those two yahoos. So why even bring them up? I'm sure there is some inconsistency involved that makes their situation ok, but I don't like defending them so I'm not going to go look it up. None of that makes what Cruz is doing here ok though. It's just a Red Herring fallacy to even mention them.

I only brought up those yahoo's to point out a problem.
Nobody cares what left leaning preachers say about politics but go crazy about right leaning preachers.
Why not treat all preachers the same?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

gee that means that 60% of it is donations....
ya know I don't think that 60% of the services given are abortions,
so I have to say some of those donations are going to items other than abortions!!!
but ya, shut them down, just like those poor business have a problem with birth control, so well, we can just throw the cost of giving their employees coverage over to the taxpayers, we can do the same with those services that planned parenthood is providing through donations....

and, um, this is coming from a group who seems to think that charity and donations is the answer to all!!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Maybe that's because it's a government program.

For more than 40 years, Title X family planning centers have provided high quality and cost-effective family planning and related preventive health services for low-income women and men. Family planning centers play a critical role in ensuring access to voluntary family planning information and services for their clients based on their ability to pay.

Family planning centers offer a broad range of FDA-approved contraceptive methods and related counseling; as well as breast and cervical cancer screening; pregnancy testing and counseling; screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs); HIV testing; and other patient education and referralsi.

Title X Mission
Title X assists individuals and couples in planning and spacing births, contributing to positive birth outcomes and improved health for women and infants.

In addition to clinical services, Title X also funds the following program supports aimed at improving the quality of family planning services:

Training for family planning clinic personnel through five national training programs that focus on clinical training; service delivery; management and systems improvement; coordination and strategic initiatives; and quality assurance/improvement and evaluation

Family planning research and evaluation to improve Title X service delivery and inform the broader reproductive health care field

Information dissemination and community-based education and outreach

www.hhs.gov...

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I'm only saying that they have the right to their opinion just like you.
I don't care if abortion is legal.
If a woman can't afford birth control or an abortion, she can't afford to raise a kid. Snip snip.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

And only 3% of planned parenthood's total budget is used for abortions, none of which is tax dollars.

They have strict guidelines in place to insure that the abortions they do perform are funded with private donations, (also known as the other 60% of their funding) and not tax dollars because federal law already prohibits it.

So what is the church's beef with funding the cancer screenings and other non-abortion services they provide to women?
edit on 26-8-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Exactly.
Government funded tax payer money abortion.
Some people have a problem with that.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ted Cruz is Superman.

He can;
Close Planned Parenthood
Shut down government
Make religious people do his bidding

and he might be able to beat CHuck Norris in a fight.

He ascares me.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Maybe that's because it's a government program.

For more than 40 years, Title X family planning centers have provided high quality and cost-effective family planning and related preventive health services for low-income women and men. Family planning centers play a critical role in ensuring access to voluntary family planning information and services for their clients based on their ability to pay.

Family planning centers offer a broad range of FDA-approved contraceptive methods and related counseling; as well as breast and cervical cancer screening; pregnancy testing and counseling; screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs); HIV testing; and other patient education and referralsi.

Title X Mission
Title X assists individuals and couples in planning and spacing births, contributing to positive birth outcomes and improved health for women and infants.

In addition to clinical services, Title X also funds the following program supports aimed at improving the quality of family planning services:

Training for family planning clinic personnel through five national training programs that focus on clinical training; service delivery; management and systems improvement; coordination and strategic initiatives; and quality assurance/improvement and evaluation

Family planning research and evaluation to improve Title X service delivery and inform the broader reproductive health care field

Information dissemination and community-based education and outreach

www.hhs.gov...

Incidentally, the planned parenthood money at issue would have gone to the rest of those service providers of which PP is only a part.
edit on 26-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yet none of that goes towards any abortions (except in rare circumstances). So what's the problem?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I care about them and what they are saying, but they aren't the issue in the OP. Like I said, it's a Red Herring to bring them up. Go find an issue where they are violating their congregations' 501(c)3 status and make a thread about it. Though I think it is likely that they don't have congregations anymore and are just full time lobbyists while keeping the "reverend" title in their name.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

a reply to: windword

Exactly.
Government funded tax payer money abortion.
Some people have a problem with that.

What part of "Federally funded abortions are already illegal and not happening" do you Not understand?

"Some people" have a problem with something that's not happening. Go figure!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

gee that means that 60% of it is donations....
ya know I don't think that 60% of the services given are abortions,
so I have to say some of those donations are going to items other than abortions!!!
but ya, shut them down, just like those poor business have a problem with birth control, so well, we can just throw the cost of giving their employees coverage over to the taxpayers, we can do the same with those services that planned parenthood is providing through donations....

and, um, this is coming from a group who seems to think that charity and donations is the answer to all!!

That's just Waaaay toooo much logical thought and actual evidence for this crowd ...

We're talking about our "feels" here!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Yet none of that goes towards any abortions (except in rare circumstances). So what's the problem?

When government money pays for the buildings and keeping the lights on, how does that not count?

That's like watching people pay for their groceries with food stamps then pay for beer with cash.
You helped buy beer!

edit on 26-8-2015 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

They can tell their congregation to call their local politician and make their voices heard. That's how a republic works.

No they cannot. That is still getting politically involved and violates their tax code.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

They can tell their congregation to call their local politician and make their voices heard. That's how a republic works.

No they cannot. That is still getting politically involved and violates their tax code.

Just like the fine reverend jackson.
When he stops maybe somebody will give a damn.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

When government money pays for the buildings and keeping the lights on, how does that not count?

You are stretching here buddy.

That's like watching people pay for their groceries with food stamps then pay for beer with cash.
You helped buy beer!

Your argument is weak and flimsy. Planned Parenthood funds abortions through its own sources of income. Not government taxes. Stop trying to go through mental gymnastics to make it seem like taxes are paying for them. It is already illegal for taxes to do that, so nothing more needs to be done in that department.

You are creating a strawman to try to piggy back off of to argue to defund Planned Parenthood, but your premises are flawed and frankly vindictive. You want so desperately to shut Planned Parenthood down you will make whatever argument sounds good to convince people of your cause, even if it is fallacious.

I was hoping that my simple questions would get you to see the absurdity of your statements, but I guess not. The ends must justify the means to you.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

You helped buy beer!

Now that's a stretch if I ever saw one!

If you deal drugs out of your house that sits on a road paid for with tax dollars, it doesn't mean that taxpayers dealt drugs.

It's as if your saying that food stamp recipients shouldn't be allowed to use their cash to purchase non-covered items that you disapprove of, even when it's legal.

I'm not even a drinker and all I can say is, Wow!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join