It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Plots Government Shutdown Fight Over Planned Parenthood

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Again you don't decide wha is an issue and what is not. Clearly to a large portion of the people in the U.S. it is an issue so yes for the public at large, as you say it does carry weight

Again you're not the end all be all on what's an issue and clearly your out of touch with what is an issue and what is not. Because this has become QUITE the issue

Fine. Whatever. I don't care.

Actually I addressed the near and potatoes of the post

The only one whining is you over "gov shut down for pp"

Considering the basis of the "shutdown" is PP. IT SEEMS like it actually is part of the meat and potatoes

Yea. Exactly; both you and Cruz have imagined problems against PP brought on by propaganda videos, and you appear to be ok with violating separation of church and state to punish PP for these imagined problems.
edit on 26-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

No. Not only am I creeped out by Ted Cruz, I'm creeped out by anyone who isn't creeped out by Ted Cruz.

This.

The guy, in my opinion, is insane.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

originally posted by: greencmp

Planned parenthood aside, any chance off shutting down government is a benefit since it gives us an opportunity to see clearly that it is not the indispensable necessity many believe that it is until it isn't.

Says the person with an avatar of the U.S. Constitution, the foundation of our government.

Yes, it is very interesting, you should read it.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Good glad you don't care. What was the point of the thread then?

Propaganda huh? Well again looks like your opinion isn't the end all be all

As many Americans disagree w you.

Is what it is.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: yeahright

No. Not only am I creeped out by Ted Cruz, I'm creeped out by anyone who isn't creeped out by Ted Cruz.

This.

The guy, in my opinion, is insane.

That pretty much sums up every person in our gov imho

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Elected official, seeking the highest office in the land, engaging in sedition and violating the separation of Church and State - all for publicity?

Nope. Nothing to see here.

Heff, this is only so Cruz can tell a crowd at a fund raiser that he cares so much that he wanted to shut down government.

Election drama.

I half expect 4 or 5 candidates to get ink and maybe a piercing or 2 to be "edgy" next month.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I'm not surprised, it's the same guy that called atheists "the Taliban."

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Cruz is just another ignorant fool that wants to live in a Christian theocracy. If the government doesn't want to follow my Christian dogma then shut it down. PP has broken no laws live with it Teddy.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Elected official, seeking the highest office in the land, engaging in sedition and violating the separation of Church and State - all for publicity?

Nope. Nothing to see here.

Since when does religion have anything to do with morality?

There are plenty of non religious folks who find this reprehensible and immoral

Plenty of religious folk find WHAT reprehensible and immoral, defunding Planned Parenthood and leaving millions of women without birth control, cancer and STD screenings and prenatal care, or threatening to shut down the government over Planned Parenthood and Title X?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Good glad you don't care. What was the point of the thread then?

Go carefully reread the OP and maybe you'll get a clue. I'm not typing that all out for you again, but the point of the thread CERTAINLY isn't to debate if talking about Planned Parenthood is a real issue or not.

Propaganda huh? Well again looks like your opinion isn't the end all be all

Hey I can't make people believe the truth. They have to be intelligent enough to come to that conclusion on their own.

As many Americans disagree w you.

Is what it is.

That's a bandwagon appeal fallacy. Just because people disagree with me doesn't make them correct. Those videos are DEFINITELY propaganda no matter what you or they think.

Whenever you feel like stop distracting from the real points in my OP though, I'll be ready. These tiring "be as emotional as possible" debates about PP are exhausting. I mean I get it, the gameplan is to distract from the actual issues that people are talking about back to Planned Parenthood whenever possible. It's a classic propaganda technique, but I'm not going to fall for it. If you continue complaining about PP in this thread then I'll just ignore you. This thread is about Ted Cruz's shady politics.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

You can talk down to me all you want. I'm not asking you to re type anything. I'm quite capable of comprehending what I'm reading. And just because I don't share your sentiments on this or the manufactured outrage your and the left are trying to bring about because of this, doesn't mean i don't understand what your op was about

It means I don't agree and it means I think it's more manufactured bs to try and stir up people

Especially since it's the liberals in Washington who are notorious for threatening shutdowns when they don't get their way. Look no further than Reid and Obama for that

I like your "be emotional as you can be statement". Especially in light of a thread trying to stir outrage

Again hypocritical

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Let's be clear though. This is Cruz's baby. We can't blame this idiocy on all the Republicans.

This is the only part of your OP that I disagree with.

The rest of the GOP would be more than happy to follow along if they thought they wouldn't be blamed politically. They could care less about the non-political repercussions caused by shutting down our government.

The only difference between Ted Cruz and the mainstream GOP is the fact that a slim majority of the party as a whole aren't as politically stupid as Ted Cruz.

As a political party, they still want to defund Planned Parenthood and/or create legislation making it impossible for them to exist.

It's like saying that Donald Trump doesn't represent the GOP when nothing could be further from the truth.

I am literally surrounded by republicans here in Texas and everyone of them that I know totally agree with Trump's sentiments, they're just not politically stupid enough to orate their views in the offensive manner being employed by Trump. At least not in public.

If these guys weren't the real face of the GOP, they wouldn't be leading the field.

You might say that Ted Cruz isn't leading, but let Trump drop out of the race and just watch which candidate his supporters shift their support to. I'm betting it will be Ted Cruz.

Right now, I'm having real problems finding a single redeeming quality held by the GOP. It's as if they've chosen to represent the absolute worst aspects of America.

ETA: Ted Cruz isn't the only GOPer to try and convince churches to preach politics from the pulpit either. Just a few weeks back, I remember reading where they were attempting to organize 1000 pastors to run for political office across the nation.

If they had it their way, they'd legislate straight out of the Bible.

edit on 26-8-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

A related thread about how the Evangelicals are mustering the troops for a theocracy: Training evangelical pastors to be politicians

(from July), which discusses the Evangelical's "American Renewal Project".

And this article today: Is Ted Cruz Winning The Christian Nation Primary?

Cruz told AFA President Tim Wildmon that mobilizing evangelical Christian voters is the key to saving America, saying, “Nothing is more important in the next 18 months than that the body of Christ rise up and that Christians stand up, that pastors stand up and lead.”

Cruz has been positioning himself as the champion of religious liberty and defender of the conservative Christians he says are the targets of a “jihad” by gay-rights activists and an “atheist Taliban.”

The conservative Christians "Must stand up and lead" against the "atheist Taliban"?
Um.... sorry, Ted, the Taliban is a religious terrorist organization that shoots school-children just for wanting an education. I wonder what Malala would think of you correlating secular non-believers with the Taliban?

God save us. From your followers.

edit on 8/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Wait, you are accusing liberals of manufacturing this? Are you SERIOUS? So let me get this straight, in an attempt to distract from apparent controversy around PP, the left has manufactured a scandal involving Ted Cruz trying to go around separation of church and state to defund PP. Wow... Dude, just come out and say it. I know you are thinking it. It's Obama's fault isn't it?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Let's be clear though. This is Cruz's baby. We can't blame this idiocy on all the Republicans.

This is the only part of your OP that I disagree with.

The rest of the GOP would be more than happy to follow along if they thought they wouldn't be blamed politically. They could care less about the non-political repercussions caused by shutting down our government.

The only difference between Ted Cruz and the mainstream GOP is the fact that a slim majority of the party as a whole aren't as politically stupid as Ted Cruz.

Ok. This is a fair point. I just didn't want to throw the whole GOP under the bus for Cruz's idiocy here. Let the GOP stand on their own idiocy, they already have plenty. They don't need additional deadwood weighing them down, you know?

As a political party, they still want to defund Planned Parenthood and/or create legislation making it impossible for them to exist.

It's like saying that Donald Trump doesn't represent the GOP when nothing could be further from the truth.

I am literally surrounded by republicans here in Texas and everyone of them that I know totally agree with Trump's sentiments, they're just not politically stupid enough to orate their views in the offensive manner being employed by Trump. At least not in public.

If these guys weren't the real face of the GOP, they wouldn't be leading the field.

You might say that Ted Cruz isn't leading, but let Trump drop out of the race and just watch which candidate his supporters shift their support to. I'm betting it will be Ted Cruz.

This would be an interesting topic of consideration actually... Which of the other 15 or so Republican candidates is close enough in "crazy" to be the guy to garner most of Trump's support if Trump were to drop out. Or would the support disperse among ALL the candidates equally?

Right now, I'm having real problems finding a single redeeming quality held by the GOP. It's as if they've chosen to represent the absolute worst aspects of America.

You and me both brother. I feel like the GOP is forcing me to vote Democrat and not so much that I WANT to vote Democrat...

ETA: Ted Cruz isn't the only GOPer to try and convince churches to preach politics from the pulpit either. Just a few weeks back, I remember reading where they were attempting to organize 1000 pastors to run for political office across the nation.

If they had it their way, they'd legislate straight out of the Bible.

This I don't doubt for a second.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Why should churches stop talking politics when we have the fine reverend Sharpton and Jackson preaching politics?
I would think churches have a responsibility to keep their members informed on politics that can directly effect them.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Why should churches stop talking politics when we have the fine reverend Sharpton and Jackson preaching politics?
I would think churches have a responsibility to keep their members informed on politics that can directly effect them.

Limits on Political Campaigning for 501(c)(3) Nonprofits

In order to maintain tax-exempt status, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations cannot engage in political campaigning. Nonprofits with 501(c)(3) tax exempt status should be ever vigilant about this prohibition -- a violation could result in severe consequences.

The federal tax law is very strict on the issue of political campaigning: A 501(c)(3) organization is absolutely forbidden to directly or indirectly participate in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Violation of this prohibition could lead the IRS to completely revoke your organization's tax-exempt status or impose excise taxes on your organization.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm sorry but, well, war, ya that can directly affect us all...
but then it seems that the nuttiest of the religious are the first to start beating the wardrums against the evil muslims, commies, or whoever the newest demon is...

just how does planned parenthood directly affect the church community? how does birth control?? how does abortion???

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Many religions think abortion is murder. Their tax dollars funding what they believe is murder directly effects them.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

But their tax dollars don't fund abortion. So what's the problem?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join