It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black pride really makes me mad

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
How Dare someone be proud of who they are, especially people who have been oppresse

those pre-60s were oppressed, no black people today are opressed, black people today are afforded the same rights to education, healthcare etc as everyone else...the family in the whitehouse are proof of that, the black people holding high up positions in the government are proof of that, ALL the successfull black people out there are proof of that.

The majority of those who talk about "oppression" are those who made poor choices in their lives and havent gained out of life what they expected and are looking for someone else to blame

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
The same thing as white power,black power or I am gonna wear a banana on my head power...it is pointless.

Maybe it's pointless to YOU. But to me, it has meaning and it makes me feel good. (I'm playing devil's advocate here, as I don't actually EVER say that I'm proud to be a woman, but I can certainly understand why someone might.)

People just want to live their lives without all the pc crap and having to care about other`s issues.

People can live their lives. No one is demanding that you care. If you don't care, ignore it. People have the freedom to express their pride. There's nothing PC about it.

I don`t care what anyone is...just live your life and don`t tread on me and make a spectacle,

I will live my life, I won't tread on you. But if I want to make a spectacle, I will. That's my choice and my freedom and it doesn't hurt you. If you don't like it, look the other way.

If i got a tattoo that said white power,you would think I was a moron

Maybe I would. But I would stand up for your right to do so and I wouldn't tell you that you shouldn't. Because YOU wanted to and it doesn't affect me in ANY way.

Here's my proposal: I will live my life and YOU live YOURS, whatever that looks like to YOU. As long as you're not hurting other people, I don't have to agree with or understand every action you take or phrase you utter. If someone wants to say, "Black Power!" who gives a #? WHY give a #? Why do some people make EVERYTHING that happens their business?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Well firstly, there's no such thing as race.

I agree with you. There is no culture according to any skin color. But then again, the remark "white people don't have culture" is wrong, as you yourself illustrated. I just needed clarification.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's not the same thing. You can't compare gender to 'race' equality BH. And you know obviously that's not what I'm saying.

Most people don't do the whole badge thing I was describing, it just so happens the most vocal ones do, and they are usually in charge of various organizations that represent whole groups of people.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Yes you're right. I was wrong to use the blanket statement myself, as opposed to being more specific.

Thank you for making me flesh out my response.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Absofreakinlutley!

We all should try and find something about our culture and heritage to be proud of -- as you said, we wouldn't have all those fun holidays without them.

I think you nailed it with the superiority complex -- when you elevate yourself over someone else because of your skin color or country of origin, then it becomes a problem.

My problem with a lot of these "pride" groups is their exclusivity. Why can't a white guy want to help a Hispanic guy celebrate his cultural heritage? Maybe some of the celebrations are fun? Maybe he wants to support his friend?

I see a lot of "you're XXX so you can't join in" -- what? We're first and foremost humans, and we should be allowed to defend and celebrate the diversity of whoever we want.

I think it totally is self-defeating for "pride groups" to push everyone away besides their own kind. That's not pride, that's prejudice and racism. Researching your family history's coat of arms is cultural pride. Telling someone who isn't your skin color they can't march with you is racism.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
That's not the same thing. You can't compare gender to 'race' equality BH.

Why not? They're both societal constructs that people live under. I understand and agree that there is no such thing as different "races" of humans, but there is DEFINITELY a history of people with African heritage (and dark skin) being treated differently from (worse than) people of European heritage in this society. Same with women.

And you know obviously that's not what I'm saying.

Look, I'm not playing games or trying to be difficult. If it seems I don't understand something, I don't. I'm not messing with you.

I WISH I "got" what you guys were saying. I really do. I don't understand why being proud to be a woman isn't the same thing as being proud to be black or gay (using the shorthand).

And saying, "it's not the same thing" doesn't help with my understanding.

Most people don't do the whole badge thing I was describing, it just so happens the most vocal ones do, and they are usually in charge of various organizations that represent whole groups of people.

I get that. I agree with that.
edit on 8/20/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm so proud to be the colour of milk, I look pretty tasty and I'd go really well with your Cereal!

.... Be proud all you like, celebrate, it doesn't really matter in the end, we're all the same, how about Human pride? (actually .... no, nevermind)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It is the same thing, absolutely. If you look at the women within those pride movements they still nearly all play the background in a role that's subservient to the guys.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

My issue with statements like I am proud to be gay, is what are you proud about?

Are you proud of yourself? The community? How far gays have come in the last 50 years?

So I'm gay, we all know this, but am I proud to be gay?

No.

I'm not ashamed either, it's just I don't consider my sexual orientation to be of importance in my daily life. I can't think of a single way it actually makes a difference to me, other than dealing with other people's bigotry.

Now being a WOMAN, is actually quite different than carrying a sexual identity like being gay. That actually affects you every day, for no other reason then you have lady parts and others do not.

So I'm more inclined to say, yes, be proud of being woman, there is actually value in that, PAST just societal acceptance, bullying etc. There are REAL issues facing woman everyday, where you live, right now.

I can't say the same for sexuality. And I can't compare it to race either, because the issues are so strikingly different.

You can be proud of your culture, I won't ever argue that, I have no reason to. But people who want to celebrate race (outside of specific culture), sexuality or any other of 'Justice Warrior' type cause are taking air away from real issues that are affecting EVERYBODY, all the time.

~Tenth
edit on 8/20/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

People can be proud of what they accomplish....not for things they had no control over.
I could have been born a woman and you could have been born black.

Why be proud of something you had no say over?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

My issue with statements like I am proud to be gay, is what are you proud about?

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
People can be proud of what they accomplish....not for things they had no control over.

This is from another one of my posts in this thread:

Do you really think it's the color of one's SKIN that people are expressing pride over? Or perhaps they're expressing pride that, even though the cards are stacked against them, even though they experience racism every day, even though their lives are hopelessly tangled in the circumstances of their birth and class, they manage to go on, with the hope of moving forward and living the American Dream someday... Would that be something to feel pride about?

Gay pride (for example) isn't a feeling of pride about one's sexuality. It's the feeling of pride in their ability to overcome the circumstances of their birth, and the resultant shame, insecurity, discrimination and suffering that is heaped on them by society. We should all feel proud of who we are. But saying one feels "black pride" is just shorthand for a much bigger statement.

Why be proud of something you had no say over?

I have said several times, it's NOT one's gender, skin color or sexual orientation a person is proud about. They are proud that they have overcome big obstacles in life RELATED to their gender, skin color or sexual orientation. Saying _______ pride is shorthand for being proud of those overcoming obstacles.

Are you guys hearing me?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I hear you man. I'm proud to be white but if I voice my opinion, I'm seen as a racist. I'm tired of the #blacklivesmatter crowd as well. All lives matter. Plus when unfortunate things happen to white folks we don't loot and burn our neighborhood down. How ignorant can you be.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It's about not being ashamed of who you are because society discriminates against you. THAT'S what these various pride movements are about. If you're a white and straight (and particularly male) you ARE the mainstream position so OF COURSE you're not going to understand why other demographical groups feel the need to own their race/sexuality/disability/whatever. You might not get a job or promotion for any number of reasons but it's not going to be because of your skin color or sexuality. No one's going to give you funny looks, be denied voting privileges, receive disproportionately harsher sentencing, shout slurs at you, physically attack (and kill) and so on you because you're a straight, white American.

Not that I'm saying you're a straight, white male but you get my point.
edit on 20-8-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

This is what I'm saying. Certain demographics (minorities) are told in many ways that they should be ashamed. And unfortunately, some actually believe it. Once they decide to stop being ashamed, they say, "I am no longer ashamed of being _____. I'm PROUD of being _____"!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

It's about not being ashamed of who you are because society discriminates against you. THAT'S what these various pride movements are about. If you're a white and straight (and particularly male) you ARE the mainstream position so OF COURSE you're not going to understand why other demographical groups feel the need to own their race/sexuality/disability/whatever. You might not get a job or promotion for any number of reasons but it's not going to be because of your skin color or sexuality. No one's going to give you funny looks, be denied voting privileges, receive disproportionately harsher sentencing, shout slurs at you, physically attack (and kill) and so on you because you're a straight, white American.

Assuming, of course, all business owners, cops, and people in general are straight white males, and discriminatory to boot, which is not in any way true.
edit on 20-8-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: grammar

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

This is what I'm saying. Certain demographics (minorities) are told in many ways that they should be ashamed. And unfortunately, some actually believe it. Once they decide to stop being ashamed, they say, "I am no longer ashamed of being _____. I'm PROUD of being _____"!

Who is telling them this?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: theboarman

Let them be proud - to the point that they no longer feel it necessary to express that so overtly and feel at peace with themselves - that goes for many other groups.

If the law of nature is every action has an equal and opposite reaction then react to black pride with a resounding agreement for their plight - without diminishing already established accepted customs and traditions.

It is very important for folks to realize that continuous moral and ethical improvement of the individual will lead to advances in living standards.......in turn leading to being happy.

It is the ultimate human achievement, imo, to attain "happiness"

It's up to each and every one of us to ensure we collectively get there.

Wow! Sublimecraft, man you should try for US presidency, you know how to write say it like it should...Bravo!

I would vote for you, but I am from the pacific, so I give you a star..

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I always felt that "pride" anything was tribalistic and ego driven but we are animals after all.

Let kids be kids so to say!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

This is what I'm saying. Certain demographics (minorities) are told in many ways that they should be ashamed.

Please provide specifics on this powerful statement. WHO are the "minorities" in todays world? How have they been told they should be ashamed for no other reason than demographics and being in a minority?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join