It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black pride really makes me mad

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
Does cinqo de Mayo make you mad?
a reply to: theboarman

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but any American who gets upset about Cinco de Mayo is an idiot. Cinco de Mayo is an American drinking holiday. Mexico really doesn't celebrate it at all.
edit on 20-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

any white pride groups are automatically accosted as being racist

A. White people have no culture, there's nothing to celebrate
B. White people were never institutionally enslaved by another whole race of people.

The fact that you are 'upset' that people want to celebrate their heritage and make damn sure the horrors of the past don't repeat themselves doesn't make their culture of their past struggles any less real.

White people are the minority world wide now. Not that it matters, as the color of one's skin doesn't make a damn bit of difference when it comes to much of anything, other than culture.

Oh and your stat about black on white crime might be correct, but that's a straw man argument without first explaining WHY it's that way. There's a very good reason, and if you do even the slightest bit of research it will become abundantly clear to you.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You've never been in mexico for cinqo de Mayo then.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: Sublimecraft

So, it's okay to have a TV show called "Blackish" where clearly a "Whiteish" show would be subject to racial accusation?

I have never seen the show. But it does not bother me. A show called whiteish would be irrelevant. Where a show called blackish is relevant in todays world. Most black people just want to be treated as equals. They want to see themselves represented in the media. Sometimes they want a show that is relevant to them. Why would it upset you? Maybe if you watched it, you would understand there plea a little better.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I'm so proud of Blacks and the stance they are taking to improve things. What's shocking is your position. You appear to lack understanding of their history, and 1st worlds' creation of it.

Study, man. Study. Think.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I'm curious why you'd say white people have no culture. Do you believe other races have cultures except for white people? Or all races don't have culture.

I'm not sure you have the concept of straw man down pat. The irony is your argument is the straw man.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
People would have a lot less of an issue with the 14 words if the 88 that usually follows it got dropped, along with the idiots who represent it.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I'm curious why you'd say white people have no culture. Do you believe other races have cultures except for white people? Or all races don't have culture.

I'm not sure you have the concept of straw man down pat. The irony is your argument is the straw man.

Well firstly, there's no such thing as race.

The White Irish have culture, the White Britains have culture..

Insert (ancestors from this region here) have culture. 'Races' of people do not, so you can't use the blanket statement 'white culture' as it doesn't exist in general.

American Black culture is different than African Black culture, so is American Asian from Mainland Asian.

See what I'm getting at?

You can have all the culture you want, and you probably do, but there's no such thing as a blanket term 'white culture' as if all white people ( or any people for that matter) who live in different parts of the world are the same other than skin color.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
they act like they were the only slaves in history

How does one "act like" that? Is it their body movements? The way they walk? Something they say? Are they like, "We're the only people in history who have been slaves!" or what? What do black people do that shows they act like they were the only slaves in history?

And yeah... the 90% statistic... Where did that come from?

You say white pride groups will be the norm in America... Are you looking forward to that? Unless whites are taken as slaves by another race in the next 30 years, I think your prediction is about as meaningful as your rant.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Aren't there clan meetings for this kind of thing?

you just proved his point in OP...congrats

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It is because SOMETIMES people bump into a guy or gal who is black and plays the "my people were slaves" bit yet their parents were never slaves and neither were they...we live in a free society yet,some wanna wear the slavery bit on their arm and act like other people owe them something.
Slavery was abolished a long time ago...people need to get over this crap about being prideful of their skin color and just accept that we are all people.

As far as white slaves go,slavery isn't just a black issue,it has been happening throughout history to many people of different races.

Some can argue that we are slaves now....but thats just the conspiracy side of me.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Most indigenous Brits can't elaborate on what British culture actually is, except to say that they want it back. Can't tell you a point in history that exemplifies it so can't give an example of when to revert back to, except to say it's not now. Quite a fickle and confused people really.

Is it morris dancing? Is it fish and chips? Is it pre ww1? Is it the moment before the Normans arrived? Who knows.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

It is because SOMETIMES people bump into a guy or gal who is black and plays the "my people were slaves" bit yet their parents were never slaves and neither were they...

But, given the above information, is it correct to attribute this statement to "black people" as the OP did? I don't think so. The generalization is what I object to. There are women who bring up oppression by men, even though they were never oppressed. But to say, "women act like they're the only people who have ever been oppressed in history" is a snotty generalization that I can't abide.

we live in a free society yet,some wanna wear the slavery bit on their arm and act like other people owe them something.

True statement. But, so what? Some people of every group act like the world owes them a living. This same thing could be said about young people, white people, women, Christians, Muslims, cops or liberals. Singling out black people as thinking this way shows a certain "bias" that I'm not comfortable with.

...people need to get over this crap about being prideful of their skin color and just accept that we are all people.

Do you really think it's the color of one's SKIN that people are expressing pride over? Or perhaps they're expressing pride that, even though the cards are stacked against them, even though they experience racism every day, even though their lives are hopelessly tangled in the circumstances of their birth and class, they manage to go on, with the hope of moving forward and living the American Dream someday... Would that be something to feel pride about?

Gay pride (for example) isn't a feeling of pride about one's sexuality. It's the feeling of pride in their ability to overcome the circumstances of their birth, and the resultant shame, insecurity, discrimination and suffering that is heaped on them by society. We should all feel proud of who we are. But saying one feels "black pride" is just shorthand for a much bigger statement.

It's good to see you.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Gay pride (for example) isn't a feeling of pride about one's sexuality. It's the feeling of pride in their ability to overcome the circumstances of their birth, and the resultant shame, insecurity, discrimination and suffering that is heaped on them by society.

I live in this same society and my Gay best friend made me fix the lawnmower and cut the lawn for pride day.
Talk about being someone's slave haha (he busts my tomatoes but I love him anyways)

Back on topic.
We all have to go through adversity,gay,black,purple,green or white....I have more pride in food I cook than skin color or sexual preference.
We all have to overcome things...why wear it like a badge?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
We all have to go through adversity,gay,black,purple,green or white....

And aren't you proud when you do?

I have more pride in food I cook than skin color or sexual preference.

I explained that it's not pride in a skin color or sexuality. Let's try this:

Being a woman who has gone through the things MANY woman have had to deal with in their lives, I am proud to have overcome them. I'm damn proud of overcoming the damage done to me by my father, my uncle, my friend's father, my mechanic, my teachers... all because I was a girl. Every time I was told I couldn't do something because I was a girl, every time some mechanic smirked and called me "honey" when I asked for an auto part (when I was tuning up my own freaking car!), every time a man I didn't even know thought it was OK to reach out and touch my breast... I have overcome. And I wrap all that up and say, "I'm proud to be a woman!" That doesn't mean I'm proud of my vagina any more than "black pride" means one is proud of the chocolaty color of their skin or "Gay pride" means one is proud of being attracted to the same gender.

Claiming that one is "proud of their skin color" is simplistic and incorrect.

We all have to overcome things...why wear it like a badge?

Why not???

Woo-Hoo! Girl Power! What's the matter with that?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You've never been in mexico for cinqo de Mayo then.

I'm not saying that Mexicans don't celebrate it at ALL. I'm saying that it is more an American holiday than a Mexican one.

CINCO DE MAYO

Cinco de Mayo—or the fifth of May—commemorates the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). A relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations. Cinco de Mayo traditions include parades, mariachi music performances and street festivals in cities and towns across Mexico and the United States.

I mean you may find some places in Mexico that do a full scale bash during the holiday, but as it stands MOST parts of Mexico don't care much about the holiday. I'd imagine it's a lot like Columbus day here. It's a holiday that people are like, "Oh it's Columbus Day today? Cool. Time to go to work."

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Gonna have to agree with Drum on this one.

Wearing the 'badge' of your struggle is not moving past it, nor is it helping those who require the help to move past it in a lot of cases.

It just leads to more silly things like 'hate crime laws' and SJW's and classes in university on 'Micro Aggressions'.

Pride in your culture is one thing, especially a historically repressed culture, but pride in things like yourself, for overcoming what many people will go through in different ways isn't that great IMO.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
How Dare someone be proud of who they are, especially people who have been oppresse

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Wearing the 'badge' of your struggle is not moving past it, nor is it helping those who require the help to move past it in a lot of cases.

So, if I say "I'm proud to be a woman" you would think I haven't moved passed my struggles and I'm a detriment to other women?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Woo-Hoo! Girl Power! What's the matter with that?

The same thing as white power,black power or I am gonna wear a banana on my head power...it is pointless.
People just want to live their lives without all the pc crap and having to care about other`s issues.

I don`t care what anyone is...just live your life and don`t tread on me and make a spectacle,I have my own stuff to deal with and stuff like this clouds my mind with ridiculousness.

If i got a tattoo that said white power,you would think I was a moron (as would I)
The same applies to everyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join