It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Not a Homophobe! But...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Think those will need money AND bombs to get rid of.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Or, you could turn off your TV, stop listening to whingers and whiners and go out and enjoy the life you have been given. Try offroading in a 4wd or camping or both. It's fun and you connect with real people with real lives and real interests.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Tonight I walked in the door and the wife is watching TV. She says "don't look...don't look" (meaning the program she's watching). As I walked through carrying some groceries I heard some dialogue about "Bruce" (whoever he is now) Jenner.

You say your wife says she didn't know you were homophobic but with her "don't look...don't look" warning about the Caitlyn Jenner show, it sure sounds like she's well aware you are transphobic?

Somebody needs to make an "in my face" meme. I'm sick of hearing it. Change the damn channel.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EKron

Or just knows that he doesn't like the show.

You can not like something and not be phobic of it.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Hollywood doesn't reflect America.

Hollywood reflects what they think America represents.

I just stick to James Bond and Vin diesel movies.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Duplicate post
edit on 8/16/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: ...Duplicate post

link   
duplicate post
edit on 8/16/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: .......Duplicate Post

link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Yes, I should have mentioned reality shows as well. They lure the masses in to thinking this is how everyone "is", when nothing could be further from the truth.

You are absolutely correct about social agendas of the media, and yes, it does go far beyond just the gay lifestyle. In some respects the currect fad is almost a metaphor for the whole social agenda theme. In the larger picture, I hope people can wake up and see these representations don't lay out a set of goals for the whole of society. However, with mass media being what it is today it's pretty scary to see some of the trends people jump onto because of what they see on facebook, TV, youtube, twitter, buzzfeed, etc.

In any case, cheers and thanks for the thoughtful comment.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
More gay dudes equals more single chicks.
That's how I view it.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Or just knows that he doesn't like the show.

Yeah, we'll have to wait for clarification on that but by using "Bruce", I'm guessing he hasn't seen it?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Being a older gay woman I take no offense to what you posted OP. I get what you were trying to say. Now without trying to get myself in a mud pit here, I think the same thing basically happened when all the "white only" shows were the dominate factore pretty much prior to the 60's with blacks only getting very minor roles.

I had a very prejudice grandmother, grandfather and they had a fit when blacks started getting more roles in bigger parts on her nightly shows. Being as young as I was at the time, I just didn't understand it, but I knew I didn't like how she acted about it. Didn't seem right to me. I think given time it will become something you won't even notice anymore and it will be hard to recall that there was this sudden inundation of "Gays" all over the tv.

Really, if you think about it, we are seeing more and more of just all kinds of races from all over the world now on shows and with their own shows. Too me this actually seems like a nice step in a positive direction for the greater whole. As you said though, this is just me and my opinion.

Again though, I didn't find your post offensive. People finding any little things offensive now is what really crawls up my button tell you the true.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Bruce? Are we talking about the big rubber and fiber glass shark in "Jaws?"

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Well, truth be known; the transgender subject is really a different discussion with me...especially as it relates to reality TV, primetime TV and the Kardashians in general. I am aware of the show, but I do not watch it.

I could go off on a completely off-topic rant about that show (and all its permutations), but that wasn't the point I was trying to make with this thread. (think: what message does that show send to our youth around the world??? There's not one thing healthy about it...beginning with why they're even on the air in the first place and it ain't because of Bruce Jenner! That's for dang sure! He's just a sideshow in that circus.

On a personal note, I don't think programs like that (the whole caitlan thing) are suitable for young
adolescent teenagers anyway. This had nothing to do with educational value, and everything to do with money!! There's likely so much more to the real story we will never know, broadcasting the sensational parts only creates problem.

No doub though, this is a very real example.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Edit...gosh, what's up with these double posts??
edit on 8/17/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: Double post...again

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I'm only going to pop in to say this and then leave as these threads usually end up going down a shallow and hurtful route (I can see it already has) and I don't want to ruin the rest of my night over it.

I don't have tv so I'm not sure what the programming really is anymore but, if the general trend is changing, isn't that sort of how it's always been? Also, about 4% of Americans identify as gay. Unless one out of every 20 shows, commercials, and ads are featuring gay folks, they are not being over-represented. Think of how many ads you are exposed to every day and then try and think of how many of them had a gay person in them. If there are a handful of shows about gay people, I'd say that's proportionate.

Now I return you all to your regularly scheduled thread.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

I'm glad you mentioned the race thing. It seems shocking, awful and plain wrong that TV was white dominated when it started, but it was. Nowadays it would be wrong and out of whack to only have white newsreaders and shows with white families only. Remember all the (super awesome) black shows from the '80's like Fresh Prince of Belair, Fat Albert, the Cosby show (before we knew he was a pervert), Different Strokes - there were loads of them pushing the normality agenda. As a kid I loved them and I grew to really love black people for their sense of humor and their view on life.

We'll look back in 20 years time at the current gay agenda in hollywood as we do the black agenda now.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with shows that have an intentionally gay theme. Or include a homosexual relationship as a side theme. I believe for the most part they are trying to reflect a multifaceted view on society.

The problem I have is when gay scenes, especially lesbian and bisexual, seem to be inserted for no other reason then to sensationalize lesbianism and bisexuality.

This is very prevalent in today's comedy movies. I understand the idea that sex sells, but shouldn't quality entertainment be the goal?

If a movie producer has to insert lesbian and bisexual scenes for no other reason than sexual sensationalism I believe they are admitting an inability to produce quality entertainment.

I believe some people are born gay, so it is not something that bothers me.

I am equally troubled by prolonged under the sheets heterosexual sex scenes in PG 13 movies. A kiss an advance then cut away, we can imagine the rest for ourselves. I don't need to see partial breasts and ass in my movies. I need a quality movie well acted with a good plot.

edit on 17-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I don't watch "reality" tv and have never seen the Kardasians. I have watched "I am Cait" because I wanted to see how the subject was handled and have found it attempts to be educational and informative on transgender issues. Mostly.

I think the message that the show is sending is that transgender people exist and are to be afforded the same dignity and respect that every human being, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, should be shown.

Pity the poor children that may grow up to be open minded and accepting of diversity.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

The problem I have is when gay scenes, especially lesbian and bisexual, seem to be inserted for no other reason then to sensationalize lesbianism and bisexuality.

This is very prevalent in today's comedy movies. I understand the idea that sex sells, but shouldn't quality entertainment be the goal?

If a movie producer has to insert lesbian and bisexual scenes for no other reason than sexual sensationalism I believe he is admitting his inability to produce quality entertainment.

I couldn't agree more. And PS, why have Vampires and witches gone all gay? What is up with that? Weren't Vampires meant to be terrifiyng blood sucking ghouls, not sexy 'just trying to be normal and fit in types?

Sex for shock value is sooo 1980's Madonna now - it's been done. Let's move on to something more fun like Lizard reptilians posing as the POTUS or something.

I believe some people are born gay, so it is not something that bothers me.

I am equally troubled by prolonged under the sheets heterosexual sex scenes in PG 13 movies. A kiss an advance then cut away, we can imagine the rest for ourselves. I don't need to see partial breasts and ass in my movies. I need a quality movie well act with a good plot.

At the risk of being labelled a prude alongside you I agree. Society is oversexualised and to be honest, it seems like a Pedophile grooming agenda the way they are exposing younger and younger people to sex. I don't like it one bit.

edit on 17-8-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I don't think you're homophobic. I've noticed it too in the media and movies. I don't even watch tv in general. All my media is through the net, netflix, etc. I've noticed though that there seems to be a push for characters or hosts to be gay or at least seem gay (which is a strange comment I know, but it's hard to explain.)

In time it will fade most likely. I think it's a social nudge in a way and trying to make people get used to the idea or something.

The part that seems stupid to me, is it's like they're pushing a stereotypical gay characters also. Like the token black character in movies used to be. I know quite a few gay people and couples and they don't all act so "fabulous" all the time like they do on tv. That's what I find insulting. It's the overly gay stereotype which is overplayed and lame at this point.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join