It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Not a Homophobe! But...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Exelcior
Just why is it so wrong to hate gays? There is clearly a natural repulsion towards them.

oh no reason. no reason at all
it is perfectly fine to hate anyone at all.
just keep the hate flowing

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Bingo, this hits at my point! Excellent.

Very good way to characterize what I am saying in different words.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

No, I understand his point. Sy-Fy got called out for not having enough representation and between one season and the next all of their shows suddenly acquired gay characters either an existing character was "outed" whether it made sense or not or a new one was inserted summarily to be the "token."

It's annoying. When at most 5% of the population is gay, it makes sense to have a few gay characters, but not every ensemble cast has to have one. It's out of all proportion to reality. There are more gays in TV than there are Asians. And I'd be willing to bet there are way more Asians as a percentage of the population.

since when is tv all about reality?
outside of a reality show(which isnt even in proportion to reality) i thought the whole point of tv, movies, books was to get an escape from reality.
unless you are reading watching non fiction of course.

tv does not represent reality. pretty sure it is not supposed to

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

having lived in a state that was almost exclusively a different religion than me, i can testify that being a minority (in this case, a diff religion, rather than race) was exceedingly painful. i was so happy when we were finally able to move away from there. my hubby and i were celebrating for months afterwards.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
just googled 2015 tv programming
let see the list of all the gayness and shows that are in touch with reality shall we

the voice
ncis
saturday night live
arrow
the following
the big bang theory
the last man on earth
chicago fire
bobs burgers
the walking dead
ncis los angelas
once upon a time
ncis new orleans
orange is the new black
the good wife
csi
empire
supernatural
scorpion
agents of shield
better call saul
criminal minds
bones
family guy
galavant
true detective
parks and recreation
community
new girl
scandal
the americans
the simpsons
the blacklist
svu
jane the virgin
ballers
big brother
daredevil
house of cards
hannibal
brooklyn nine nine
castle
fresh off the boat
blue bloods
bloodline
fargo
bates motel
------------------

not going to type anymore. you get the idea
that list reeks of gayness and shows in touch with reality
hahahahahahah

better add grace and frankie and the unbreakable kimmy schmidt.
some gayness going in int hose shows and they are like totally realistic

i mean the main character on kimmy schmidt lived for like a decade in a bomb shelter and now she is living it up in new york.
totally happens all the time

orange is the new black...you know, takes place in a womens correctional facility. some gayness happening there too
edit on 17-8-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I worked for a man who is gay, so if there was a tv show that had a gay boss, that would sure be real to me. I became good friends with that gay boss, who wasn't very flamboyant, much like Will of Will and Grace, so that was real to me. My friend had gay friends, some of whom were VERY flamboyant, much like Will's friend Jack, so that was real to me.

My husband had a gay couple that he was friends with before he ever met me, and he tells me funny stories of how they took him to gay bars - so if there was a tv show about a straight guy hanging around a gay couple, that would be real to him.

Not to mention those that have gay members in their family, like Modern Family, or like my nephew who is works in theater and hangs around many gay performers (like Glee?).

Having gays in lots of tv shows isn't necessarily unrealistic. The problem is, you people just find gayness icky, so you don't want to watch it. Just admit it, and turn the damn channel - or better yet, turn off the damn tv and get out and live your life (with all the gay people in it).

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
The problem is, you people just find gayness icky, so you don't want to watch it. Just admit it, and turn the damn channel - or better yet, turn off the damn tv and get out and live your life (with all the gay people in it).

^^^^right there
nice job kayla

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

better add grace and frankie

I worked with a girl whose husband left her right after they had their baby, he told her he was gay and tired of pretending, he had found the love of his life (a man). I'm sure she would think Grace and Frankie was pretty real to her.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I thought you didn't "watch (TV) (at all)"...

Now you're banging on about the gay agenda.

Only one show I watch has any of The Gay and that's Modern Family, and one of them is actually straight, and most of the time they mention The Gay it's derisive and self-flagellating humour.

Not a single other show I watch has The Gay.

Not Dragon's Den, not Ancient Aliens, not Hangar Files, not Tattoo Nightmares, not any documentary I peruse, not The Wire, not Stargate, not anything I choose to watch.

I don't see this gay agenda others talk about.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

of course i know that some shows have elements of reality to them.
but then we have shows like arrow
daredevil
the walking dead
once upon a time

those shows are totally realistic

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Okay...let's do this...shall we?

The Switch
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
The Macarthy's
Young & Hungry
Undatable
Sirens
Mystery Girls
Looking
Faking it
Sean saves the world
Please like me
Brooklyn nine-nine
Vicious
Getting on
Partners
Whitney
The New Normal
Go on
Malibu County
House of Lies
Anger Management
House Husbands
Girls guide to depravity
Death Valley
Happy Endings
Happily Divorced
Awkward
Suburgatory
Running Wild
$h*! my dad says
Blue Mountain state
Hard times of MH Berger
Modern Family
Glee
Nurse Jackie
Sarah Silverman Program
Crumbs
The Class
30 Rock
The Comeback
Twins
The war at home
Out of practice
My name is earl
Entourage
It's all relative
Arrested development
That 80's show
Some of my best friends
Normal, Ohio

And this list only goes back to 2000. Further, there's a lot more recognizable shows in this list.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
You know guys, there are so many things that are more important than queer television and your lives would be happier, less stressful and there would be less things you'd have to bitch about if you just didn't give two effs about this one way or the other.

Let it go - be free. Worry about something that matters.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I agree. While I'm far from a homophobe. Hell my empathic nature makes me somewhat camp around gay people, my girlfriend starts wondering about me lol. But ,seriously, I sometimes feel like it's being forced onto us as the 'norm' and it troubles me too.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The facts are that LGBT characters on TV only represent 4% of the total characters on TV.
There is also a disproportionate amount of gay males compared to other LGBT people, which shows that there is still an issue of male dominance in the entertainment industry, even in minority roles.
If you go through the pdf attached you can see that while the representation of black people has increased, latino's are still under represented on TV.

GLAAD LGBT 2014 TV Statistics

It's the same for movies, male dominance still exists but racial diversity is improving considerably.

GLAAD LGBT 2015 Movie Statistics

So in conclusion, they are as a group still under-represented in the media regardless of how much of an 'agenda' you think is being played out.
We are being conditioned and rightly so. We need to move away from seeing LGBT people as different and it's only with people being used to seeing LGBT people being represented fairly on TV and in movies that we can move on as a society.

The problem is there is a disproportionate amount of 'Super Gay' males that make up the amount of LGBT people being represented and I think that's what annoys people the most.
I know a few gay people and generally they are just normal people, you wouldn't know if they were gay or not. It's only through getting to know them that they are openly gay. It's these people I find are being under-represented on TV.
They introduced 2 characters like that on the Walking Dead. They introduced them as regular people and it's only when one of them gets hurt that you realise they are a couple. It was quite a touching scene tbh.
They also had the most redneck and most popular character on the show be the one that was the 1st to find out that they were gay and accepted them for who they were. That's some strong programming right there.

I think we are in a time where people see this as a chance to move forward with equality for all and I think it's great.
If you are a good person and you do no harm to others then you should be able to live your life the way you want to live it and not be harassed for your skin colour, your sex or your orientation.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I take exception to every freaking show trying to shove it down everyone's throat as if every other person in society is gay. The facts are, homosexuality is in the minority of societal population.

If you don't watch TV at all (as you say) WTF is this rant about??? TV shows can't "shove something down your throat". You are not a victim of TV.

Homosexuality is the minority, yes. If you compiled every show on television, I'm certain you'd find that the number of shows with homosexual references or characters are FAR in the minority. Much farther than the percentage of homosexuals in the population.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Fantasy:

Reality:

This isn't suggesting we need a 'I'm not an ageist racist, but ... sick of dem multicultural not age realistic Navy Seals' thread. More...

Question is, why do you see this particular issue as political OP?

You're seemingly unconcerned about the prevalence of violence, the promotion of promiscuity, the normalized multiculturalism, the unrealistic age diversity in action and military roles, the disproportionate amount of male leads, and the depiction of even the psychotically mentally ill as good looking fashionably 'unkempt' sex symbols.

Is a saying that you bring your 'self' to the cinema, meaning that when you're decoding a movie you bring your own cultural or personal values to it. Just wondering if it's surprising to you that there are a whole bunch of people that haven't even noticed or cared? Genuine queries, not sarcastic. I can't work out what makes this specific theme stand out to you over all the other problematic ones.

On a side note, why it so hard to call Caitlyn Jenner, Caitlyn Jenner? I tend to find people are happier when I call them whatever they want to be called.

edit on 17-8-2015 by Pinke because: Typos

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You're not a homophobe but....

Pretty much says it all right there.
Substitute homophobe for "black" in your OP..... "I don't mind blacks, even have a black friend" blah blah....

*rolls eyes*

If you don't watch TV why do you care who's gay or not and frankly how would you know??

Pointless rant and if you even HAVE to make this rant, you're a homophobe.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

so what is your point?
the same one i made?

yeah, there are gay characters on SOME of the shows on tv today.
bfd....
some gay characters on tv is a far cry from 'gay stuff' being crammed down your throat or whatever you said. you said something similar to that.
gay characters are still a very small percentage compared to hetero characters.
nothing is being forced on you.
nothing is being forced on you.
you can change the channel or not watch something if you dont like it. that is the fact.

why dont you just be honest and say what you really mean.
you dislike gay people? you dislike gay people on tv? it bothers you there is so much 'gay stuff' on tv?
you hate gay people? you hate all the 'gay stuff' on tv?
gay people make you uncomfortable? you think it is gross?

the truth is somewhere in there. it would be nice if you would just man up and be honest.

instead you rant and start your Op with 'i dont hate gays' BUT

have to qualify first.

i just dont get the big deal. you and many others are clearly bothered by homosexuality.
there is some level of hate, dislike, discomfort about it....

just be honest and say it.

its a god damn shame that in 2015 things like this are even an issue.
its a damn shame that in 2015 homosexuals are the one group of people that can still be openly hated on...

it would just be nice if people like you were called on your issues cause you clearly have them

let me edit cause you did say what i thought

I have no personall issue with it (to each his own), but I take exception to every freaking show trying to shove it down everyone's throat as if every other person in society is gay. The facts are, homosexuality is in the minority of societal population.

that is what you said.
fact is every show does not try to shove it down anyones throat. homosexuals are in the minority and homosexual characters are greatly outnumbered by heterosexual characters.

in all honesty, you seem like a homophobe to me...there are varying degrees of that. not sure what degree you are at but it is definitely there.
have some balls and come out of the closet(like so many homosexual people have done) with your phobia.
do you feel threatened? do you feel like society will crumble cause of all the gayness?

i mean what is it that even bothers you?

ahhhhhh..dont bother to answer. your views are clear and it is a shame you and so many others feel the way you do

too bad things are not all archie bunker and john wayne i guess

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I'm with you OP. Turn on the tv and there's a new Canadian show called "like me" about a gay dude. The 30 second trailer for it has him making out with his boyfriend and his dad telling him to wear a condom. It's too much man. So the heterophobes will just say, "don't like it? change the channel". Well, I do. I believe people can watch whatever they want and we all have the choice to view or not view. Fine. But where I draw the line is when people think we have to watch it or else we're a bigot.

ie:

Well you do seem homophobic if it bothers you

Yeah, I don't like to watch Christians beheaded by Muslims either. Does that make me racist against Muslims? Hell no. But it's this line of thinking which seems to be socially conditioning us to put up with gay tv shows and like it, else, you're a hater. This also brings me to another contentious issue. The gay pride parade. It's kind of the same thing. I've been to a gay bar (to pick up women believe it or not, works quite well but that's another story) and I can tell you, what goes on in there is identical to what goes on in a gay parade. But have a look at the people lined up in their chairs along the street with their kids. My god people, where are your heads? It's not a family event, it's an orgy. ffs. But there are the little ones, running around and soaking in what is typically reserved for adults. Pathetic social conditioning freak show is what it is. Heterosexuals don't do this because there's a thing called "discretion" and to be honest, no one cares about your sexual preferences.

The LGBT community has made great strides for equality, I'm happy about that. People's attitudes are changing but it doesn't mean it is now a green light to introduce it to every aspect of entertainment for hetero people. Maybe there should be just a separate network for homosexuals like the "gay channel" or bi-tv or something. Some kind of middle ground.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

an orgy?
ahahahahah

about 15 years ago i shared a house with 3 other people. a gay guy ad 2 lesbians. i used to go the bar with them all the time. a gay bar of course.
what went on in there was just like any other regular ole run of the mill bar.
people were drinking. playing darts. shooting pool.
nothing like any sort of orgy, parade, etc etc.
people wanting to relax, drink, and mingle amongst other like minded people.

i was never bothered. made to feel uncomfortable. hit on. flirted with.
nothing.
i drank and talked with my roomies and people that would come in that they knew.

it was absolutely fine and like being at any other place.
so your experience is definitely not the norm.

i was at that bar dozens of times. totally normal atmosphere
so, yeah
your point?

omg omg. a 30 second trailer showed him making out with another guy.....oh the horror.
it was to much for your eyes

give me a break
people need to grow up.

sad when adults still act childish like middle schoolers

edit

oh yeah

a gay character on tv and beheadings.......2 guys kissing and violent murder.....yeah totally reasonable to compare the two
bwuahahahh
yeah. fantastic comparison....good one

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join