It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Union Smears Woman Who Posted Video of Police Beating on Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am not sure what to make of this story. A woman posted a video of an apparent act of police brutality(that officer has been suspended), and the Miami Fraternal Order of Police went on a smear campaign against that woman for sharing her video on Facebook. Also, from what I understand the police also tried to prevent the woman from filming and sharing the incident.

After video surfaced last night of a Miami police officer beating a man in handcuffs, the Miami Order of the Fraternal Police tried to smear the woman who originally posted the video on her Facebook page. Union President Javier Ortiz blasted out a press release picking images from Smith's Facebook page despite the fact that Smith herself isn't accused of a crime.

"As everyone is aware, social media has placed a very negative tone on law enforcement nationwide. On August 13th, there was a video that was posted in social media that shows an encounter with Miami Police Officers. While the video may seem concerning to some, the FOP is confident that when everything is analyzed with the totality of the circumstance, it will be concluded that the police officer was doing what he is supposed to be doing: Protecting our Community," wrote Oritz.
...[snip]

www.miaminewtimes.com...

edit on 16-8-2015 by jrod because: addyt

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

it will be concluded that the police officer was doing what he is supposed to be doing: Protecting our Community," wrote Oritz.

That is his idea of protecting the community and a cop doing what he is supposed to be doing? AUFKM???

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Mad that they are being exposed and reacting like children. Yes, for shame.

Here's their site that is mentioned in the Tweet, 'police state' header image and "Enough is Enough" included. FopMiami

Enough is enough! That includes the mocking of people after they expose the issues that should be worked on.

edit on 16-8-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

So often I hear the defense of "well you only see it out of context so you don't get the whole story" but, in so many of these videos, there are no possible contexts that could place what I see in a positive light.

Nothing that man in the police car could have said or done while handcuffed (after calmly entering the back of the squad car) could justify what I just saw. Many videos I see are just like that: nothing outside that frame of reference could have made it alright.

The only scenario I can think of is maybe some international terrorist (think Hanz from Die Hard) has him on the phone and tells him he must beat a handcuffed cooperating person or his family gets hurt. Is that the kind of context they are hoping we imagine?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

While the video may seem concerning to some, the FOP is confident that when everything is analyzed with the totality of the circumstance, it will be concluded that the police officer was doing what he is supposed to be doing: Protecting our Community

The stupid citizens translation of that is:
"While the video may look bad, it's really not. The FOP is confidant that once we analyze the video to see where we can say something that wasn't caught on tape took place and the beating was justified.
Also, with a little help from a friendly judge it will be concluded that no wrong doing took place.
"

@dreamingawake
'police state' header indeed!

Granted the video was short and it didn't capture much, I fail to see any reason what so ever to punch the guy in the face while he's already cuffed and sitting in the back of the car. Just shut the friggin door and chill out.
The guy probably made the cop run more than 50 feet so he was all pissed off and decided to get a bit of pay back.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

I fail to see any reason what so ever to punch the guy in the face while he's already cuffed and sitting in the back of the car.

Other than he was an easy target who could not hit back....

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

It also appears that the police went for the woman's phone at the end of the video.

Miami PD has a long history of corruption and Ortiz's statement does not represent all police officers. However events like happen often and the Fraternal Order of Police and other Police Unions often turn a blind eye and sweep cases like this under the rug, or in this case launch a character attack against the woman who posted this video.

At least our press is still free to report this kind of behavior. However it seems that too many of our lawmakers, judges, and elected officials turn a blind eye to this kind of behavior unless it gets caught on tape.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

It also appears that the police went for the woman's phone at the end of the video.

There really needs to be stiffer penalties for attempting to hide the evidence,especially when it is being done by the police themselves,they are after all at an advantage to the average citizen as they are well aware of exactly what is needed to make a charge stick....

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink
The guy probably made the cop run more than 50 feet so he was all pissed off and decided to get a bit of pay back.

Or perhaps he threatened his family. In that case I would've beaten the crap out of him too.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

And you might face charges for beating someone up over it.

If there was a threat made then the cop can take the normal actions.

Beating a defenseless man is not normal.
edit on thSun, 16 Aug 2015 02:03:32 -0500America/Chicago820153280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Mad that they are being exposed and reacting like children. Yes, for shame.

Here's their site that is mentioned in the Tweet, 'police state' header image and "Enough is Enough" included. FopMiami

Enough is enough! That includes the mocking of people after they expose the issues that should be worked on.

Wow... looking at the header it more looks like a site that aims to make police look like a bunch of agressive maniacs.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sirrurg
In UK that's already what you look like. There is no justification for beating defenceless persons. Unless your a criminal. He would be deemed not fit for duty in the Uk and most of Europe. What criteria must you fit to become an upholder of the law in USA. It seems just not having a criminal record and you get a badge and gun with limited training.
We know in the Uk that 90% of our police should be let nowhere near firearms, so we don't let them.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
the FOP is confident that when everything is analyzed with the totality of the circumstance, it will be concluded that the police officer was doing what he is supposed to be doing: Protecting our Community," wrote Oritz.

I would love to hear him explain what just happened in that video. What a POS Puss of a cop!!!

The cop in the video should be fired and charged with assault. This Ortiz guy should be fired and have the living crap beat out of him. The other officers who did nothing or also lied to cover it up should be fired and charged with conspiracy.

But then again this is Miami so they'll probably do nothing at all about it. The cops will continue to make this woman's life hell that filmed it. She'll end up probably raped and dead somewhere with no leads leading to who did it. Meanwhile these cops will get promotions and spend most of their time coked up, drunk and at the strip club.

Good ol' Miami PD. Keepin' people safe.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

If what he's supposed to be doing is kicking the crap out of people, I guess he has it wrapped up.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The officer is suspended pending investigation. So will see unfortunately with the video you can't see what happened. But that smack is awfully loud not sure what he hit but I don't think it was the guy to get a pop like that. It's very strange either way the officer should have just left him in the back of the car.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Beating the crap out of defenseless citizens = protecting citizens.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And you might face charges for beating someone up over it.

If there was a threat made then the cop can take the normal actions.

Beating a defenseless man is not normal.

I can think of a lot of things the guy might have said to warrant a beating. Cops are humans too you know.

Imagine you had a little brother who was murdered and this guy just said he's gonna get you like he got your punk a$$ little brother? Would you care if he was cuffed before punching him in the mouth? Would you even stop to consider it?

I'm just saying that dude must've said something really twisted for that cop to come unglued like he did in front of all those people.

edit on 16-8-2015 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
He was just proving how much of a big man he is. When you give a man power, such as police powers, you find out what kind of a man he really is. The man in the video is a very little man. I wouldn't trust him to tell me what time it is, let alone entrust him to protect the community. He should be kept far away from animals, children, women, the elderly, and the disabled.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

I would stop to consider it. Words are just words. I would take more pleasure in seeing him investigated and likely convicted of my brothers murder knowing he just confessed to a police officer. Then I might pay a guard or inmate to give him a hard time in prison. But not beat him while handcuffed. But I am fully aware that there are people out there who literally cannot control themselves when they lose their temper. It's scary how some dim witted neanderthals can snap over mere words.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
There is nothing he can say that would justify this. If this cop ain't big enough to be above it then why has he got a badge and a GUN. stop it, It' a ridiculous excuse that he must have said something. no wonder they get away with it.
Just because you would do it to the handcuffed man doesn't mean a law enforcement officer can be allowed to do it. I would jail you for ten years because you are the same as him but a coward. Take his handcuffs of and fight him if you are that upset, but no support a cowardly bully instead. hahahahaha

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join