It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clerk's office defies order; no same-sex marriage licenses

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
www.wvnstv.com...

she's willing to go to the supreme court to keep from issuing a non-biblical marriage but she can't actually look at the paperwork to ensure that it is???

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

What that tells you, bringing religion to work, sometimes I wonder about the mentality of my fellow human beings, life is too short and some seem to be spending their life worrying about somebody else rather than worrying about themselves.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

UPDATE

Well, Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, took her appeal to the Supreme Court and they refused to hear her case. She can now be found in Contempt of Court and fined, and even jailed, if she continues to refuse.

This morning, Sept 1, she again refused at least 2 couples.

County Clerk STILL Refuses to Grant Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples

A defiant county clerk in Kentucky has again refused to issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite a ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court.

On Tuesday morning, as Rowan County clerk Kim Davis' office opened, two couples were denied licenses.
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to intervene in the case, leaving Davis no legal grounds to refuse to grant licenses to gay couples. A district judge could now hold her in contempt, which can carry steep fines or jail time.

She needs to lose her job.
edit on 9/1/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yup what a moron.
Just fire her.
Dunno why you find everything funny btw.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

She's already beyond the point of needing to lose her job. Sounds like it's time for jail time for her to me.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

She needs to lose her job.

She needs to be arrested and jailed.

I read she could be put in jail for up to about a year.

That works for me.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Either that or a huge fine. She eventually DID face the couples she was denying and told them she had invoked "God's authority"...

Having been divorced three times, surely she can judge who should and should not be married...

I liked this commentary.

You know what really sucks though? Yes, Davis is going to get punished and the gay couples are going to get their licenses. But no matter what fines she gets saddled with she’s going to come out of this rich and retired. They’ll set up a Go Fund Me for her and she’ll walk away with more money than you or I will see in our lives. Why? Because Christianity doesn’t make people more moral – it makes them more tribal – so much so that they’ll dump tons of money toward rewarding one of their own for being an asshole.

Want to be a jerk who ***** with the lives of others and gets rewarded for it in this country? Look no further than to the most pious, most fundamentalist Christians – the ones who drone on about how their religion is the source of love and kindness.

Source

I understand that all Christians aren't like this, but the overwhelming number of "pious, fundamentalists" sure make it hard to remember that.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

10 bux says that if she loses her job and/or goes to jail, she plays the victim card.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: xuenchen

Yup what a moron.
Just fire her.
Dunno why you find everything funny btw.

Can't fire her. She's an elected official.

But, she can be arrested and jailed for contempt.

Then, apparently, her son can take her place. Oh wait, like mother, like son.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

10 bux says that if she loses her job and/or goes to jail, she plays the victim card.

Of course she will.

But, it won't do her any good.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
*sigh*

The quicker people can keep their religion separate from their jobs and politics the better things will get for everybody. I seriously doubt if her god was on the planet, they would refuse the license. The God of the bible would forgive them "their sins", love them, and comply. Its all about free will.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
And then there's Casey Davis from Casey Co, Kentucky

“Our law says ‘one man and one woman’ and that is what I held my hand up and took an oath to and that is what I expected. If it takes it, I will go to jail over — if it takes my life, I will die for because I believe I owe that to the people that fought so I can have the freedom that I have, I owe that to them today, and you do, we all do. They fought and died so we could have this freedom and I’m going to fight and die for my kids and your kids can keep it.” www.advocate.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Kentucky better change their marriage laws, then... They still prohibit marriage equality and recognition of other states' same-sex marriages.

Source

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What a ridiculous woman. Jail and fines would be a good start. I'm guessing with a criminal record she will find it hard getting normal employment, maybe at a church perhaps.

It wouldn't surprise me in the gofundme thing happend. Stupid people are stupid.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have been saying for years that we are all stuck in a syntax problem with an easy solution. Marriage is a sacrament and invokes religious fervor.
Eliminate Government from the marriage process!
Make these "Marriage Certificates" into "Civil Union Certificates" across the board. No more "Marriage Licenses" only "Civil Union Licenses".
This will remove almost all of the argument from their sails.
If you want to make a household with another person, get a "Civil Union" from the Government. If you want to get married, head to church/temple.
Marriages in this scenario will have no legal bearing, they are ONLY a religious sacrament for the benefit of the people getting married and their friends and family. If they want the legal protections currently afforded by Government sanctioned marriage, they would now instead get a Civil Union, basically a contract between two people.
You can certainly do both and cover your legal as well as religious obligations as you see fit, but the Government would only recognized the Civil Union which would be available to everyone.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Kentucky better change their marriage laws, then... They still prohibit marriage equality and recognition of other states' same-sex marriages.

Source

Oh yeah, but you know "Pick and Choose"

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
What a ridiculous woman. Jail and fines would be a good start. I'm guessing with a criminal record she will find it hard getting normal employment, maybe at a church perhaps.

It wouldn't surprise me in the gofundme thing happend. Stupid people are stupid.

And GoFundMe can reject it for defying the USSC ruling.

They've been doing that lately.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad

Eliminate Government from the marriage process!

Completely separate issue.

This is about Equal Rights. Everyone having the same rights on what we currently have.

Do you think Kim Davis refused marriage licenses to atheists?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join