It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s No Longer Just Confederate Flags, There’s a New Expression of ‘Southern Pride’ Under At

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It was Dixie before the Civil War, it was Dixie during the Civil War and it was Dixie after the Civil War.

Let's get all Orwellian and make words disappear.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: kellyjay

This entire deal was squashed by the guy that started it.

Spare me the "liberal PC" nonsense because most of us liberals and leftists could care less what people do. Too many people are not willing to hold the individuals accountable for the things they say and do and are so lazy they just blame entire groups of people.

What's really sad is that the confederate flag issue was decided by a republican governor and not one republican in office put up a fight.

PC indeed.

so one guy had a pic of a confederate flag and shot up that church = ban the flag?

great logic...why dont you ban the stars and bars because the KKK fly that too......

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
It's funny watching people suddenly pretend to be offended by something they WEREN'T offended by a week prior...

Whatever trends on social media I guess.

It's also funny to see people suddenly take pride in a flag, word or the "southern way of life" when they didn't give a damn about it a week earlier.

Whatever trends on the outrage machine i guess.

southern pride is a new thing?....you been living under a soft padded rock?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

so one guy had a pic of a confederate flag and shot up that church = ban the flag?

I did not say anything even close to that! How did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? Not only are you lazy that you blame entire groups of people for the actions of the few, you also didn't even take the time to read my post.

Sad.

great logic...why dont you ban the stars and bars because the KKK fly that too......

Considering that you completely missed the point of my post, you are not one in a position to lecture about logic.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

originally posted by: Kromlech
It's funny watching people suddenly pretend to be offended by something they WEREN'T offended by a week prior...

Whatever trends on social media I guess.

It's also funny to see people suddenly take pride in a flag, word or the "southern way of life" when they didn't give a damn about it a week earlier.

Whatever trends on the outrage machine i guess.

southern pride is a new thing?....you been living under a soft padded rock?

I didn't say that either.

Reading is fundamental. If you can't do it properly, don't do it at all.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I did not say anything even close to that! How did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? Not only are you lazy that you blame entire groups of people for the actions of the few, you also didn't even take the time to read my post.

Sad.

Considering that you completely missed the point of my post, you are not one in a position to lecture about logic.

im reiterating exactly what happened

monday - nobody bothers with the flag
tuesday- kid shoots up church, pic is shown on the news with a confederate flag
wednesday - ban the flag

sheep

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
It was Dixie before the Civil War, it was Dixie during the Civil War and it was Dixie after the Civil War.

Let's get all Orwellian and make words disappear.

The entire thing was dropped and no one is trying to take away the words.

No need to outrage over nothing.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

And what does any of that have to do with my post?

I was addressing the "liberal" nonsense you posted earlier. Liberals are not just to blame for this. The republicans are the ones that took it down in the state.

Not one republican put up a fight and they were for it too.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The fact that somebody even thought about banning the word "Dixie" from an established event just shows you how utterly stupid the pc movement has become. It is becoming a mental illness, imo.

(post by kellyjay removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
The fact that somebody even thought about banning the word "Dixie" from an established event just shows you how utterly stupid the pc movement has become. It is becoming a mental illness, imo.

thats what i was saying in the first place...who is responsible for political correctness?

www.academia.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

EXACTLY not ONE republican had a problem taking it down yet the right are racist lol

I didn't say that.

liberals are like petulant children, they pout, they scream and they stamp their feet till they get what the want

Actually, it appears that you and others that believe like you are the ones crying and screaming about this. This issue was brought up and dropped really fast. No one even considered it.

So who is the one being emotional and pouting?

in this case a flag because it offends them suddenly because liberal media told them to be offended.

Not so. Most of us Leftists and Liberals didn't give a damn and aren't offended. If you want to fly the flag....fly it. But you guys didn't put up a fight. A few loudmouths shouted you down and all of you caved.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

That's it right there. Are these people just sitting around looking for something to be offended about? It's almost as if they want to be at the forefront of the newest outrage. I wake up every day dreading the new outrage. UGH!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Excellent article. Thanks for the link. It explains a lot.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Should I be assuming that The Dixie Chicks have disbanded? Because they're still on the radio.....

This is going to get confusing for tourists - how are people supposed to know what's considered racist when it's only racist in parts of the US?

I saw a pic of a large propane tank in someone's yard painted as a watermelon (looked great) on Facebook and people were screaming racist.

Getting crazy..

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The outrage I'm seeing on this thread is all from the Right!

I posted the facts, which it seems very few if any have read. Here is what happened:

1. Some people approached a council member and said they were offended by the name and wouldn't attend because of it.
2. Council member does his duty and shares that with the council - it DOES NOT come up for a vote
3. Immediately, a petition to keep the name happens because people are reacting to the idea that a few offended people might get the name changed - though the reality was it was a minor concern of the Council to begin with
4. The council quashes the whole idea of changing the name.

The End

Here is the quote on my previous post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is NO REASON for the outrage I'm seeing on this thread.

A few people saying they were uncomfortable does not equal "The Left" and "All Liberals." I have never thought twice about the name Dixie and could care less about the name of this festival.

People who are wanting to find outrage exist on both ends of the spectrum - witness this thread!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

EXACTLY not ONE republican had a problem taking it down yet the right are racist lol

I didn't say that.

liberals are like petulant children, they pout, they scream and they stamp their feet till they get what the want

Actually, it appears that you and others that believe like you are the ones crying and screaming about this. This issue was brought up and dropped really fast. No one even considered it.

So who is the one being emotional and pouting?

in this case a flag because it offends them suddenly because liberal media told them to be offended.

Not so. Most of us Leftists and Liberals didn't give a damn and aren't offended. If you want to fly the flag....fly it. But you guys didn't put up a fight. A few loudmouths shouted you down and all of you caved.

you keep saing it was dropped....but it wasnt was it? the flag got took down, yet we keep seeing videos pop up of people grabbing the flags off peoples trucks, which is theft and there was a video of a guy getting rocks thrown at his truck before the crowd grabbed his flag, and people mid traffic popping out and stealing the flag...so no it didnt end there

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Why are you repeating the flag has been banned lie? It has not been banned you have every right to fly it whenever you want. It has no place on government grounds because it represents an act of treason against the United States. Also if you knew anything then you would know that the people in that state was pushing for that flag to be taken off government grounds long before that racist little nutcase killed those people.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Why are you repeating the flag has been banned lie? It has not been banned you have every right to fly it whenever you want. It has no place on government grounds because it represents an act of treason against the United States. Also if you knew anything then you would know that the people in that state was pushing for that flag to be taken off government grounds long before that racist little nutcase killed those people.

it was banned from the government grounds wasnt it?

yet and ill repeat people keep stealing the flag of peoples property, their trucks etc and people are getting attacked for flying it...so if the only purpose was to have it removed from government buildings, why are people and their property being stolen or damaged?

examples

www.nydailynews.com...

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 02/08/2015 by kellyjay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

So because a news outlet writes an article about it, that makes it an actual issue? I mean if you'd read your own article, it pretty much spells out that this whole topic is just a poll question.

That was the question raised Monday night, during a Winston-Salem committee meeting, the home of the annual fair. It’s the second largest fair in North Carolina. The finance committee was looking at ideas to bring more people to the fair and Councilman James Taylor Jr. brought up concerns some voters told him they had with the word “Dixie” in the fair’s title.

Then if you click on the source link in that article, you get this:

Remember, this was just a conversation during a committee meeting. There are no votes or public forums planned at this time.

Even the guy who brought it up wasn't trying to create controversy. He just wanted to make as many people happy as possible and asked a possible question to see what everyone preferred.

Taylor said ever since the conversation got coverage, he's also received dozens of responses on the other side supporting the name. Taylor said he did not bring up the topic to split the community.

"I would issue an apology and say my intent was never to divide us. It was always to unite us. And, we can’t judge people on newspaper articles and on headlines, we have to judge the heart,” Taylor said.

So, where does Taylor stand on this issue? He said at this point, his opinion doesn't matter, it's the people's decision.

"My intentions were never to change the name, but to bring it up for consideration. I don’t get to make that decision. The power should always be in the hands of the people," he said.

I think you may be trying to stir up trouble for a non-issue.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join