It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s No Longer Just Confederate Flags, There’s a New Expression of ‘Southern Pride’ Under At

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Should the word “Dixie” be removed from the Dixie Classic Fair?

That was the question raised Monday night, during a Winston-Salem committee meeting, the home of the annual fair. It’s the second largest fair in North Carolina. The finance committee was looking at ideas to bring more people to the fair and Councilman James Taylor Jr. brought up concerns some voters told him they had with the word “Dixie” in the fair’s title.

It’s No Longer Just Confederate Flags, There’s a New Expression of ‘Southern Pride’ Under Attack Now

Well I hope this is a one off for your sakes.

The slippery slope seems to be alive and kicking despite so many protestations there is no such thing.

Don't know the site so my apologies if its a load of rubbish.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

we can still draw pictures of mohammed with a bomb in his hat, right?

Next they are gonna ban shoes, cause that crazy f#&% is clearly wearing shoes on many of his pictures, must be a racist thing...

Dont think this dixie thing is real though
edit on 13 8 2015 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: spelling

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I think James Taylor and his concerned voters are suffering from Pre-Traumatic Obsessive Compulsive Political Correction distress disorder - or PTOCPCDD for short.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Here's my favorite rendition, Louis Armstrong's Dixie accompanying Ms. Dern on her head-turning walk. And, as I recall, Abe Lincoln himself had the band play Dixie after the end of the Civil War to show the unity of the U.S. and to honor the South. The battle flag is one thing, a song of both regional and nationwide pride is something else. "Let Dixie be Dixie". May I present Mr. Louis Armstrong:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Oh, it's real...

KUTV

LiveLeak - Todd Starnes

Fox News

Thats just crazy!

But they can call the fair whatever they want, IMO its only racist people that have a problem with the word Dixie

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

This whole liberal P.C crap is getting out of hand, "this is offensive, that is offensive, this hurts my feelings, that hurts my feelings" to the point where they are trying to erase history, when the are omitting certain things from the school cirricculum etc

You know people walked passed the confederate flag everyday for YEARS until the liberal media told them to get angry about it and suddenly it was "ban the flag"...then the next month they will find something else to get offended over rinse and repeat...it must be exhausting living in a state of perpetual offence!

One of the most shocking things i saw come out of the confederate flag "ordeal" was this...

A group of protesters who want the body of an alleged Ku Klux Klan leader removed from their city have broken the soil over the grave.
The campaigners claim it has taken officials in Memphis, Tennessee, too long to exhume Nathan Bedford Forrest - who was a lieutenant general in the Confederate States Army.
They also want the statue of the soldier on a horse on the burial site to be removed. The rebel cavalryman, who died in 1877, has been buried in the city's Health Sciences Park since 1904

www.dailymail.co.uk...

are you serious?..

people need to stop using politics to vent their feelz, people get offended all the time, but SANE people get over it!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Actually just found another article which says the guy who raised the issue has backed down as there was already a petition organised.

www.wfmynews2.... com/story/news/local/2015/08/12/councilman-drops-discussion-changing-dixie-classic-fair-name/31553383/

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- The councilman who started the conversation to change the name of the Dixie Classic Fair has ended the discussion.

James Taylor released a statement Tuesday stating he was ending the discussion because he heard from many people who were against changing the name.

Looks like common sense actually won

See if it happens anywhere else though.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Let's ban the phrase 'The South' too.
All those rebels will automatically turn into Yankees.

What a bunch of ding dongs.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: kellyjay

This entire deal was squashed by the guy that started it.

Spare me the "liberal PC" nonsense because most of us liberals and leftists could care less what people do. Too many people are not willing to hold the individuals accountable for the things they say and do and are so lazy they just blame entire groups of people.

What's really sad is that the confederate flag issue was decided by a republican governor and not one republican in office put up a fight.

PC indeed.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
It's funny watching people suddenly pretend to be offended by something they WEREN'T offended by a week prior...

Whatever trends on social media I guess. Silly lemmings.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
It's funny watching people suddenly pretend to be offended by something they WEREN'T offended by a week prior...

Whatever trends on social media I guess.

It's also funny to see people suddenly take pride in a flag, word or the "southern way of life" when they didn't give a damn about it a week earlier.

Whatever trends on the outrage machine i guess.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's only 49 days until the Dixie Classic Fair!! Ya'll come on down for some funnel cake and good old fashioned fun.
It's like a farm-fair, with contests and rides and entertainment...

Dixie Classic Fair

The facts verses the hyped up fictions...

We want to separate fact from fiction to clear up any rumors you might have heard about the "Dixie" debate.

First one, is this fact or fiction?

1) Councilman James Taylor made a proposal to remove "Dixie" from Dixie Classic Fair.

FICTION - Taylor says he brought up the idea after hearing complaints from some voters. He never made a formal proposal.

2) The Winston-Salem City Council discussed the word "Dixie" at their council meeting.

FICTION - The conversation came up during a finance committee meeting. Council met with a consultant about ways to bring more people to the fairgrounds.

3) The debate about "Dixie" was never on the council's agenda.

FACT - There have never been any official meetings or votes on this issue. Just a conversation started by Councilman Taylor.

The conversation was still enough to get thousands of people to support the word "Dixie" with a petition. Claudia Baker started the petition on Change.org. While she says she knew there was no official proposal, she said it still called for push back.

Fact vs Fiction

Why would people latch on to this and turn it into a PC victimization by rabid liberals? Anyone? Sigh.

- AB

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

It's also funny to see people suddenly take pride in a flag, word or the "southern way of life" when they didn't give a damn about it a week earlier.

lol, "suddenly" take pride? When they've been flying it the ENTIRE time...

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

lol, "suddenly" take pride? When they've been flying it the ENTIRE time...

I'm talking about everyone that jumped on the bandwagon, of course.

People came out of the woodwork on this issue. We even had members on this site saying they would move to the south if they could because they love the "southern living".

Please. There are just many idiots on that side of the issue as there is on the other.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The south has always been under attack. I mean we're all just a bunch of racist, ignorant rednecks... that's what the media teaches.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aprilkoontz
The south has always been under attack. I mean we're all just a bunch of racist, ignorant rednecks... that's what the media teaches.

Is it a "southern thing" to play the victim? People of all walks of life have been labeled and messed with. You're no different and not special by any means.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Why was the Stars and Bars on the top of the General Lee?
Was that invented for the show?
Have you ever visited the Deep South?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
Why would people latch on to this and turn it into a PC victimization by rabid liberals? Anyone? Sigh.

- AB

So, this thread shows that if anyone even brings up the idea of change, people become completely offended, it gets blown completely out of proportion, lies are told about it, the word "ban" gets tossed around and it's all the "PC liberal media's" fault! LOL!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Why was the Stars and Bars on the top of the General Lee?

It made Daisy Duke look skinnier?

Was that invented for the show?

Yes, the General Lee was specifically painted that way for the show. I don't believe that was a paint option from the factory.

Have you ever visited the Deep South?

Why, yes I have. Thanks for asking. I've asked some "deep" southern people why they are so concerned with a flag that was never a flag for the confederacy. It was the flag of the Virginia Confederate Army, but not the confederacy itself.

Many don't even know that.

Symbolism is for the weak minded.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join