It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s No Longer Just Confederate Flags, There’s a New Expression of ‘Southern Pride’ Under At

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I think we need to remember our personal biases and perception filters.

Of course if you are conservative-minded it's going to seem like conservatives are always being hung out to dry, and crazy liberals are everywhere.

And if you have a more liberal/progressive mind you're going to feel/see that liberals are being hung out to dry, and crazy conservatives are everywhere.

Perception is reality for people -- and what we choose to read, listen to and pay attention to makes up our perception of reality.

I think it's pretty balanced on both sides, we just see it differently due to our perception filters. I also think the forms of media are different too -- as Introvert mentioned conservatives pretty much have a lock-down on radio.

There's more than Fox News now, there's also OAN News which is pretty darn conservative. My folks love it -- it's run by the same people that do Wealth TV. There's plenty of conservative news sites -- I'd say Breitbart is the conservative Huffington Post? Maybe?

But anyway, I think when you're on one side it's always going to seem like the other side is speaking crazy-talk all over, and bashing your beliefs irrationaly and unrelentingly.
edit on 13-8-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

But dude...fear is like the #1 way to get people to do what you want! I know that as a kid I'd do whatever my mother told me out of fear my old man would whoop my butt.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You speak truth, but for someone such as myself that studies language, marketing, propaganda and trends, there is a big difference in how each side operates.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
It's funny watching people suddenly pretend to be offended by something they WEREN'T offended by a week prior...

Whatever trends on social media I guess. Silly lemmings.

It's frightening actually when you start to think about it.

How easily can they be manipulated, and how far can you push them to go?

Sure they're being warmed up on the "silly" stuff like this, but what exactly can the mob be [url=http://www.amazon.com/Nudge-Improving-Decisions-Health-Happiness/dp/014311526X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439496450&sr=8-1&keywords=nudge]nudged[/ur l] into doing?
edit on 13-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Sure they're being warmed up on the "silly" stuff like this, but what exactly can the mob be "nudged" into doing?

Possibly demanding to defund an organization based on flimsy video evidence?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Sure they're being warmed up on the "silly" stuff like this, but what exactly can the mob be "nudged" into doing?

Or defending the same because they are told there is nothing to see here?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

But dude...fear is like the #1 way to get people to do what you want! I know that as a kid I'd do whatever my mother told me out of fear my old man would whoop my butt.

Agreed. Both sides use fear.

The only difference is that the Right seems to use the mundane and irrelevant to stir-up fear.

For example, not too long ago the Obama Admin changed the definitions of a few words within one piece of firearm legislation to coincide with another. The legislation protected firearm manufactures in their transactions oversees and protected their intellectual property right.

The right wing media blew up and the headlines read that "Obama is finally coming for your guns!".

It was completely false and when it was pointed out that this was only a change in definitions and it strengthened the rights of the firearms manufacturers, they didn't care.

They were convinced this was a push against our 2nd amendment rights.

I know it's "PC" to say that both sides are the same, but I will respectfully disagree. There is a big difference.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

There is a big difference and it is noticeable to anyone who is actually intellectually honest about American media and politics. The left aren't any saints, but the right has the left beat by a LONG mile as far as being insidious and pushing false narratives.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I thought we were talking about extreme actions the public can be "nudged" into doing. I didn't think that defending an organization because you are told to do so is exactly extreme.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

No one on the Left has told me to look the other way. In fact, many people on the left have said watch the videos. Yes, I agree that they are disturbing, as I am anti-abortion, but that is irrelevant. Did PP break any laws? Are they being investigated for any potential breaches of law? So far, it does not appear so.

On the other hand, the Right is being told to watch the videos, being told PP is violating the law and that you MUST be outraged. And when they are questioned on that illogical approach.....deflection.

Who's following the piper here?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

We can only hope so.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Ya otherwise we can't have God's blessing.
www.rawstory.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya otherwise we can't have God's blessing.
www.rawstory.com...

I cringed reading that. It reminds me of the appeal to god approach Hitler had to propagandize people in to the will he had for Germany.

Dangerous tactics.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
ok calm down, this was just a couple of people that said they had concerns about the word "Dixie"......don't blow this all out of proportion, as it happened with the confederate flag being taken down from a government building....

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That stuff doesn't help those of us who are trying to approach this topic with some logic and are more about focusing on the legal dichotomy between "It's your body, your choice... but only in regards to a few issues. In most other things, we tell you what you can and cannot put in your body, use your body for, or otherwise do to your own body." The morality aspect is certain a valid discussion to have, but it does center on the subjective of "when does life begin?" The illogical schism in personal choices free to be made and personal choices the state says "no" to is not subjective.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I hear TNT is pulling re-runs of Designing Women because it stars Dixie Carter.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Ungh. I won't be sad to see that show go. I can't tell you how many episodes I had to watch because of my mother as a child...

The hair...oh god their hair...

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
anyone still fomenting or supporting rebellion against the UNITED States should be tried for treason and punished accordingly.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think we should ban "Dixie" cups, no more whistling "Dixie".... LOL.

Political correctness was a KGB operation to disrupt American society.

Guess what? Pretty effective. Putin's laughing his A$$ off!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
anyone still fomenting or supporting rebellion against the UNITED States should be tried for treason and punished accordingly.

COnsidering Lincoln was himself breaking the constitution all over the place as well which in effect his administration was rogue as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join