It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Windows 10? Microsoft Is Watching—and Collecting Data

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

No, Defender is not per se better than any other antivirus-software (even if MS proclaims so).

Here, I found a comparison. I know it is old, but antivirus-software was upgraded since then, too.
It should definitely be assisted by another real antivirus-software.

More comparisons: Toms Guide, WinBeta. Do I really have to bring up more?

How about you bring a comparison which supports your cause?

And I stand to MY word: there was no FUD. You are telling that all the services of MS are godsend and there will be no privacy-intruding in my computer via W10? Well, hello there. "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: ..."

Forbes
The Guardian
Slate
Heise - german only, sorry.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Jesus Christ....

Any firewall that is not correctly configured for it's intended purpose is of no use.
Any AV that is used in ISOLATION is of no use ( try a mix of real time threat detection and good none realtime MBR/Trojan/Malware scanning packages for peace of mind and run them in rotation regularly.
There aren't any OS's that are 100% secure unless you code them yourself then only connect to trusted networks.

On a more positive note:
Here is a script which will make the basic privacy settings changes for you in Win 10: github.com...

Disclaimer: Not my script so not responsible for the use of the script and/or any side effects.
Doing this will not make Windows 10 Private but will bring the experience more in line with what we are used to (i.e Pseudo privacy).

edit on 4-8-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

(post by stolencar18 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Do the following. Install XP/7/8 on a VM, do the updates. Pentest the VM with kali for example. Now install a firewall of your choice. Pentest again. Hm why are there far more ports open then without?

Does that mean that the Windows firewall is better than those from other companies?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What is it with people and the "Linux is the best OMG" bull?

Without actual stats that right now I'm too lazy to look up I'd estimate that less than 5% of computer users - or maybe less than 1% - could run Linux. I bet less than 25% even know what it is. Aside from that, Linux isn't user friendly, and the vast majority of people aren't able to do what they want to do - quickly and simply complete tasks on their computer - without Windows or OSX.

Linux is a novelty OS for a tiny portion of the population. It's not even relevant in the big picture.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LunaticPandora

You're still being overly hostile.

And not just to me.

Now you're accusing me of being a troll.

I think you just feed off of conflict.

I won't be feeding you any more, I promise.

He's not a troll. He called you on your BS and you bluffed. This is exactly the problem with Linux and the people who get behind it on the premise that "everyone should use it because its safer/better/faster/prettier than Windows".

Back up your statements or admit you're full of it.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
And I stand to MY word: there was no FUD. You are telling that all the services of MS are godsend and there will be no privacy-intruding in my computer via W10? Well, hello there. "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: ...".

The full quote:

We share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service you have requested or authorized. For example, we share your content with third parties when you tell us to do so, such as when you send an email to a friend, share photos and documents on OneDrive, or link accounts with another service. When you provide payment data to make a purchase, we will share payment data with banks and other entities that process payment transactions or provide other financial services, and for fraud prevention and credit risk reduction.
In addition, we share personal data among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We also share personal data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement. For example, companies we've hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal data in order to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We may also disclose personal data as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.
Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:
comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.
Please note that some of our services include links to services of third parties whose privacy practices differ from Microsoft's. If you provide personal data to any of those services, your data is governed by their privacy statements.

Source

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

No, Defender is not per se better than any other antivirus-software (even if MS proclaims so).

Here, I found a comparison. I know it is old, but antivirus-software was upgraded since then, too.
It should definitely be assisted by another real antivirus-software.

More comparisons: Toms Guide, WinBeta. Do I really have to bring up more?

How about you bring a comparison which supports your cause?

And I stand to MY word: there was no FUD. You are telling that all the services of MS are godsend and there will be no privacy-intruding in my computer via W10? Well, hello there. "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: ..."

Forbes
The Guardian
Slate
Heise - german only, sorry.

windows defender doesn't have to be considered the best by most, i've said i would trust it. and yes, microsoft knows best how to integrate such software with their own operating system - could they do better? probably. still, their solution is quite secure (despite some reviews), and most of all, doesn't slow down your pc to a crawl.

when you're getting detection ratios between 85 and 95%, when 'the industry average' is 98-99% (hell knows how calculated), getting half of a single dot from six dots as a final ranking for protection is a little bit biased, don't you think?

also, it's a matter of personal experience and preferences/expectations. years ago all the computers at the company i've worked for, had full norton suite. one beautiful day norton decided to go bat# insane and deleted whole partitions of data. just like that, no notice, no questions. folks had no idea what happened, other than they've lost months of work, until i've managed to find some clues in the logs, and after some research, recover all partitions via some cryptic command line undo option. next thing that happened? norton was removed from all computers in that company.

and yes, posting a picture calling windows 10 a botnet and claiming few more extremely stupid things, IS spreading the FUD. as for the quote, do yourself a favor and read again this thread, or at least my posts - it's a quote from generic privacy policy of microsoft, regarding all their services. it has nothing to do with windows 10 per se, or rather - it has as much to do with it, as it has to do with all earlier windows versions.

and btw, 'private folders' means onedrive. but yeah, go. freak out. because every time microsoft releases new windows version, someone has to.

perhaps that's why they've decided to switch to continuous updates with no big releases - tired of all this BS.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

One could argue like that. But my post was not about how good or bad windows firewall is. My post was about installing a firewall.

Also I never gave advice no not use firewalls, antivir or other forms of IDS. I just stated one CAN be safe without.
But I suppose people will now write things like: "you can be safe without using the safety belt on the car".

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
When that day comes, like it did with all the cloud-hype. People will learn from it, I hope.

Edit: One last thing

What is it with people and the "Linux is the best OMG" bull? Without actual stats that right now I'm too lazy to look up I'd estimate that less than 5% of computer users - or maybe less than 1% - could run Linux. I bet less than 25% even know what it is. Aside from that, Linux isn't user friendly, and the vast majority of people aren't able to do what they want to do - quickly and simply complete tasks on their computer - without Windows or OSX. Linux is a novelty OS for a tiny portion of the population. It's not even relevant in the big picture.

I do not feel adressed but do you see what I highlighted for you? My point is not that linux or ms is more user friendly. But consider why MS is so more "user friendly" and quick and simple. Because you know what to do. Could it be that the vast majority started on windows systems? And stayed with that?

Would you say the windows GUI is userunfriendly because on command prompt, I can do things much faster and easy?
edit on 4-8-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: stolencar18

originally posted by: LunaticPandora

You're still being overly hostile.

And not just to me.

Now you're accusing me of being a troll.

I think you just feed off of conflict.

I won't be feeding you any more, I promise.

He's not a troll. He called you on your BS and you bluffed. This is exactly the problem with Linux and the people who get behind it on the premise that "everyone should use it because its safer/better/faster/prettier than Windows".

Back up your statements or admit you're full of it.

I don't think you or the other poster are bothering to understand what it is I'm saying.

I would be happy to address why, in my opinion, Linux is a better way to go than Windows. The problem is that I don't respond well to condescension and insults. If you could knock that crap off it would be a different story.

ETA: I didn't accuse him of being a troll. He accused me because I have different software preferences than he does. The hostility displayed in this thread is mind boggling.
edit on 482015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is not about my OS/firewall/AV is better than yours....

So, please quit the bickering and off topic stuff now!!!!!!

You are responsible for your own posts....and there are consequences to not heeding this reminder!!!

Community Announcement re: Decorum

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I followed a tech walk through and disabled everything could find on the windows 10. My kids are sticking with 8.

Keyloggers? I'ts beyond sickening on their part, its Absolute BS!!!!

Oh and that is the known, still concerning me would be the unknown.
edit on 4-8-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
I followed a tech walk through and disabled everything could find on the windows 10. My kids are sticking with 8.

What keyloggers?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99

Oh and that is the known, still concerning me would be the unknown.

if someone will tell you that your tap water contains radioactive uranium, will you believe it too?

folks, the only BS here is all that FUD that you believe in. do yourself a favor and do your own research.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster
if someone will tell you that your tap water contains radioactive uranium, will you believe it too?

Off-topic
He should, because it is there. Even if only in trace amounts, it is there. The statement would be 100% correct.
In germany, 10micrograms/l uranium is allowed in tap water. For infants, its 2microgramms/l.

We can argue all day if it´s a keylogger (normally logs every key-event)
or if its only logging some of your keystrokes.
and if I read this:

" Microsoft is collecting data on text entered as is it trying to improve auto correct within the system."
You can be sure it logs every key. May be not a "keylogger" in classic terms but it´s a tool that collects (logs) keys.

Even if they say the function will not be integrated in future anymore. They say. If it´s true, time will tell.

LATE EDIT I FORGOT THE SOURCE
www.winbeta.org...

edit on 5-8-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster

Off-topic
He should, because it is there. Even if only in trace amounts, it is there. The statement would be 100% correct.
In germany, 10micrograms/l uranium is allowed in tap water. For infants, its 2microgramms/l.

We can argue all day if it´s a keylogger (normally logs every key-event)
or if its only logging some of your keystrokes.
and if I read this:

" Microsoft is collecting data on text entered as is it trying to improve auto correct within the system."
You can be sure it logs every key. May be not a "keylogger" in classic terms but it´s a tool that collects (logs) keys.

Even if they say the function will not be integrated in future anymore. They say. If it´s true, time will tell.

you forgot to mention one 'tiny little detail' - that you're talking about windows 10 technical preview for windows insider program, not final release version of windows 10.

www.winbeta.org...

as i've said, FUD.
edit on 5-8-2015 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Even if they say the function will not be integrated in future anymore

= final version
But nice try. I know it´s offtopic and you will ignore the BS you just told about uranium.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Even if they say the function will not be integrated in future anymore

= final version

nope. your post was unclear, you didn't mention technical preview, and 'future' in this situation could mean one of the future updates of release version, because release version is 'now' - not 'future'.

stop whitewashing it. caught red-handed spreading FUD? - live with it.

as for the uranium, i was implying levels deadly after drinking a single glass, and that was pretty obvious. you're unable to backtrack from what you've posted though, so every possibility of an attack is good, right? well, wrong. stay on topic.
edit on 5-8-2015 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join