It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man lunges at UK policeman with 8" knife, man is subdued without incident.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
As an American police officer I have ungodly amounts of respect for police in the UK.

What these officers did was heroic.

That said, if they continue to approach situations with a knife wielding attacker like they did, they will eventually be hurt or killed.

It is only a matter of time.

But that is why many respect the police here rather than fear them. Many will put there lives in danger to prevent lose of life.

Nobody said policeing was easy here. You dont join the police for a easy job.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
a reply to: CJCrawley

So you'd be ok with the cops shooting your bipolar brother rather than take him in until his episode subsides?

It depends on the risk level to the public and the police. I wouldn't be happy if he were shot under any circumstance; but that's because he's my brother.

How humane of you.

Argumentum ad hominem. It really isn't relevant whether I personally am humane or inhumane; you could be right, it's not important.

If YOU had a bipolar brother who was trying to murder an innocent passer-by with a knife, would YOU be okay with compromising that person's safety, and possibly their life, by insisting the police didn't shoot him?

And if their softly-softly tactic failed and the person was stabbed and died...how would YOU feel then?

Chew on that.
edit on 30.7.2015 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Policing is far from easy in America.

I have put my life on the line many times as a police officer here.

In fact, I have almost died twice.

I have also had several coworkers/friends severely injured, along with one killed.

I understand things are different between the USA and the UK. I also understand that there needs to be serious changes with policing in America.

That said, blanket accusations of American police being pu**sys or violent pisses me off. We're not all like that.

edit on 30-7-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

As an American police officer I have ungodly amounts of respect for police in the UK.

That said, if they continue to approach situations with a knife wielding attacker like they did, they will eventually be hurt or killed.

It already happens, but the Police themselves are dead against being routinely armed. There have been many officers killed in the line of duty by knives, guns and even hand grenades - yet they still refuse to be armed.

You have to tip your hat to that.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I definitely tip my hat.

Like I said, ungodly respect.

Hopefully one day I can afford to travel over there to show that respect in person.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I have put my life on the line many times as a police officer here.

In fact, I have almost died twice.

I have also had several coworkers/friends severely injured, along with one killed.

I understand things are different between the USA and the UK. I also understand that there needs to be serious changes with policing in America.

That said, blanket accusations of American police being pu**sys or violent pisses me off. We're not all like that.

Now that wasnt a blanket statement. I know not all US cops are bad. The USA is a huge place not every state or county will be bad or will have bad training or recruitment pratices.
But you do have a higher rate of rotton departments and quality of policeing seem extremly inconsistant and varible across the state. I have meet both bad and good police stateside. The worst being in NY the best out in the country in California.

And its shame about your freinds, I have family in the police and they do have had there fair share of injury, though they are nuts as they requested a south london placement !

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

yeah but your a puss so thats excused

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I just want to take the time to say thank you for your service.

I admit I come a bit harsh towards cops here but most of you guys are good people at heart.

I just hope that we in Rodney King's famous words can "all get along".
edit on 30-7-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Here's an E beer from me

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

It already happens, but the Police themselves are dead against being routinely armed. There have been many officers killed in the line of duty by knives, guns and even hand grenades - yet they still refuse to be armed.

You have to tip your hat to that.

I have a great uncle in the Met south London. He is fire armed trained and he shares those sentiments. He prefers not being armed as he insists being armed only escalates a situation. Most criminals are smart enough to know killing a police officer never ends well for them.

Of course he points out there are instances were armed officers are needed.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Great story here on the subject from a US press site....

Do Britain’s gunless bobbies provide answers for America’s police?

To join the few and the proud who police Britain’s streets with a gun, first you have to walk the beat unarmed for years.

Then there is the rigorous selection process — an unforgiving complement of fitness tests, psychological appraisals and marksmanship exams. Finally, there is the training, which involves endless drilling on even the most routine scenarios.

“They rehearse those situations like a SEAL team trying to get into Osama bin Laden’s compound,” Cambridge University criminologist Lawrence Sherman said.

Yet, in a country where the vast majority of police officers patrol with batons and pepper spray, the elite cadre of British cops who are entrusted with guns almost never use them. Police in Britain have fatally shot two people in the past three years.

That’s less than the average number of people shot and killed by police every day in the United States over the first five months of 2015, according to a Washington Post analysis.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

selection and training matters.

I remember watching video and reading an article a few months back where tourist Swedish police or something made an arrest in the N.Y. subway.

many witnesses at first thought that they must have been some elite vice or police squad for the NYPD because they were so professional and skilled. nope average cops on vacation from europe.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Respect to both the police officers involvd. they handled it very well, without the need for much force. We all have a go at the police now and again but they do keep us safe when it comes down to it.
There is a differecne between us in the U.K, and other countries when it comes to dealing with these situations. Each have their owns ways in dealing with it.

Personally I don't want our police armed, but if it does ever happen, then it would be for a good reason.

CX

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

CX.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Putting all posts and opinions into a nutshell...

All police forces... in whatever country... are well trained as humans full STOP... Then again... Apart from the mass recruitment of LEO peeps in the USA...

As long as the USA (especially certain citizens from "certain" states that NEVER want to see change as they cannot deny ignorance, allows the 2nd amendement...

COMPARE YOUR PEACE TIME GUN DEATHS TO THE REST OF THE WORLD... THE WORLD?? NOT just where YOU come from???

Apart from the USA the rest of the world are doing quite well thank you very much...

Kindest respects

Nibs

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join