It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man lunges at UK policeman with 8" knife, man is subdued without incident.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Lee Vickers, 37, threatened PC Alex Prentice and PC Debbie Wishart outside a house in Corby, Northamptonshire last year.
The whole attack, which took place at a house in a council estate, was recorded on PC Prentice's body camera.

Anyone willing to wager that if this incident took place in the US that man would be dead or injured with a bullet ?

Not saying all LEO's would use deadly force but hey... Just saying ...

Thoughts

♠kap♠

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

No doubt if he held a knife in his hand, and advanced in an aggressive manner as in video most LE would respond with lethal force. It is said an attacker can cover appx. 20 feet in seconds, and at the sight of an armed suspect, police would have had their weapons drawn in hand as soon as he stepped of the porch. I base my opinion on past LE videos depicting similar situations and training procedures utilized by local departments.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Anyone willing to wager that if this incident took place in the US that man would be dead or injured with a bullet ?

Are you kidding???

I would wager that in the US even brandishing a cell phone will get you shot.

That is a bad wager for those who would bet me because that has already happened.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

If you are looking for a wager, i would go with betting how many bullets he would have in him and how many bullets missed .....

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I say congratulations to our ladies and gentlemen of the law enforcment community in the uk and their level of thinking...

Even lasses have bollocks...

However, if they had have had firearms as in "other" countries, I fear that the outcome would not have been the same...

Cripes... When I was a kid back in the olden days we used to go scrumping apples for fun (stealing apples for those who wish... but we were kids and were invincible) at the local farmers orchard and used to get a scut around the head from the local bobby or the farmer if he caught us... This taught us never to do it again...

Sometimes, if the farmer had a hunting permit, we would get an arse full of salt shot from his/her 12 bore shotgun... But very very rare.

Other places (No countries mentioned) you just get shot... and that is it...

A sick world...

Kindest respects

Nibs

edit on 30-7-2015 by Nibbles because: Crap grammar

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Nibbles

However, if they had have had firearms as in "other" countries, I fear that the outcome would not have been the same...

I have to kind of disagree there. It seems to be the culture and how there trained that makes US police so trigger happy.

Police in a lot of other countries carry guns, but generally only ever use them as an 'absolute' last resort. Where as the police in the US seem to have a tendency to just start firing off rounds at anyone who dares to resist, or even just doesn't respect there authority.

I blame the culture, not the act of being armed.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I agree with you , Its mostly due to their training ,
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

dbl post.
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
To be fair to police officers in the USA, I'm sure they have subdued plenty of people without shooting them. However, we're never going to hear those stories in the news.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Tueller Drill ???
edit on 30-7-2015 by Ddrneville because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I'm willing to wager that the police would have happily shot him for opening his front door never mind holding a knife.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: whatmakesyouright

You have a point but after scouring videos and stories on the Internet, I fear to report only one incident of a person with a knife being subdued by taser. All the other dozens of stories/videos show or depict lethal and deadly force by police. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma
I agree. we in uk have armed police as well, we just don't make them highly visible. There is lots of incidents of unarmed men shot in uk by police. Have we forgot the London riots.
Police get scared for their lives as well. Every situation that they need to draw a weapon for is potentially a life threatening situation. its ok to judge but have we ever been in a life threatening situation ourselves. nevermind having to face 3-4 times per daily shift at work.
We should have a bette mental agility test like we do in UK. it seems in America even the cops who should be on office duty get to carry guns. its a culture and a mindset that gives citizens and police a feeling of power. You do get nutters who join the police as well commit crimes. these are the ones we find before making them an officer and arming them in the first place.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Nibbles

I have to kind of disagree there. It seems to be the culture and how there trained that makes US police so trigger happy.

Police in a lot of other countries carry guns, but generally only ever use them as an 'absolute' last resort. Where as the police in the US seem to have a tendency to just start firing off rounds at anyone who dares to resist, or even just doesn't respect there authority.

I blame the culture, not the act of being armed.

I agree with your disagreement Sub.

This is how it happens over here in France. (I am a Brit but have been here for 25 years in France now)

We have 3 police forces : The Gendarmerie national (which are military and armed), the Police national (who are civil and also armed) and then the municipal police who are armed too depending on local policies and the importance and/or size of the town or city.

For the armed officers over here (and although France is a MUCH smaller country compared to the USA) we just do NOT have the same amount of LEO shooting incidents compared to the States... Google is our friend.

It is all about recruitment process and weeding out the nutters, training, psychological follow up throughout an officers career and basic common sense methinks?

Maybe I am wrong?

Kindest respects

Nibs
edit on 30-7-2015 by Nibbles because: Crap grammar

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Maybe our police offers just don't have the mental fortitude? It seems like they all panic in the situation or suffer from extreme power trips. It also seems the current training regiment for these officers just isn't working.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Aussie cops are armed with sidearms, but rarely do they ever use them. Usually if a cop pulls his or her gun here it makes the news. I've seen them deal with situations using tasers, spray and batons that most US coppers would have just pulled their firearm on and unloaded the clip.
edit on 30/7/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Aussie cops are armed with sidearms, but rarely do they ever use them. Usually if a cop pulls his or her gun here it makes the news. I've seen them deal with situations using tasers, spray and batons that most US coppers would have just pulled their firearm on and unloaded the clip.

Exactly , many examples of this world wide .

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Try that in America and 99% of the time the Police would surly answer with multiple gunshots. Well done to the officers involved for subduing the idiot without further accident or injury to ether party.

Which is not to say that when he arrives at the cop shop he will not receive the blue mattress treatment but lets face it that's what happens when you attack Police.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I don't want to come off as a cop apologist but the UK and U.S. are two vastly different countries.

In the UK guns are pretty much illegal to own, in the U.S. there is about 1 gun for every person....so cops will always be extra aggressive and extra careful whenever the come upon an individual like this.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
UK for the win!

I dont know if our police are just really good or USA cops just really really bad
edit on 30-7-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join