It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man lunges at UK policeman with 8" knife, man is subdued without incident.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

He does not have a Gun through, he has a knife. Point is in the U.S where every L.E.O carry's a fire arm this incident would most lightly have been resolved by way of the perpetrator being shot, probably multiple times whether he had a knife, gun, or paper bag on his arm as opposed to being subdued and held accountable to the law of our land by our Police.
edit on 30-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I don't want to come off as a cop apologist but the UK and U.S. are two vastly different countries.

In the UK guns are pretty much illegal to own, in the U.S. there is about 1 gun for every person....so cops will always be extra aggressive and extra careful whenever the come upon an individual like this.

I just can't seem to work out whether that's an anti-gun or pro-police statement? lol.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

** absolutely certainly dead with 43 bullet holes in america ! but why not say 6 bullets into his FEET. are you all such bad shots you can "only" blow the vics brains out ? does not say much for all the LEO training.
** and that cop in Cincinnati was quite polite thru 4 requests for the licence. just got over-reactive when the guy tried to drive off. his mistake was he should have opened the door and demanded the guy step out.
** but then you all gonna squeal u got some "constitutional right" to argue and not get out ! azzholes just comply and be polite yourselves, then not so many dead.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: muse7
I don't want to come off as a cop apologist but the UK and U.S. are two vastly different countries.

In the UK guns are pretty much illegal to own, in the U.S. there is about 1 gun for every person....so cops will always be extra aggressive and extra careful whenever the come upon an individual like this.

I just can't seem to work out whether that's an anti-gun or pro-police statement? lol.

To be quite honest and without offense... Who cares?

Two completely different cultures with one culture not willing to change as per the rest of the world? Ahem ahem...

Kindest respects

Nbs

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

For some odd reason, what I get from this story, is you have mentally unstable people over there too. It's wonderful that you had ninja cops, it wish they could all be that way. But in reality, a person who is crazy enough to attack a cop with a knife, a hammer, or a spoon, is a bigger threat to the public and should be put away. I do agree that in the US, he would likely be shot. But then, it all depends on who he attacks. If he went to Texas and met up with Walker, Texas Ranger (Chuck Norris), he would have gotten a big ol ass whoopin, then jail. (probably a spin kick to the face)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the advantage of subduing rather than shooting, a violent, knife-wielding nut job.

He probably wont serve any significant jail time and will remain a danger to the general public.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ah the old tried and true method of bash the weapon wielding hand with a stick. see it does work. about a year ago a similar incident went down like this in the usa. a old crazy man was standing around (read not aggressively engaging) brandishing a knife.

the result was 12 cops formed a semi circle around him and shot him dozens of times. never advanced on the cops or actually tried to swing at them. just wasn't responding and was in his own world. I argued then that a simple stick to the hand would have made the guy drop the knife and no real bloodshed would have resulted. I was scoffed at. guess I was right.

as for crazyewoks statement regarding whether the UK cops are better trained or if the American cops are just really bad. I'd say yes to both.

as for the need to shoot the person because of the 21 foot rule. that only applies to a person responding to a knife attacker who doesn't already have his pistol or weapon deployed. This guy had a stick, a longer weapon and was correct in his confidence that a stick is superior to a knife (granted its longer and got the right weight) in these sort of engagements in open ground and did the correct thing and disarmed the knife weilder. I bet he was trained to use the disarming technique in the academy, cause even though it happens fast he used a stick technique called a wa'tic. and used it perfectly as intended. block strike, articulate wrist so stick fans around attackers hand or blocking weapon and takes out the attackers weapon hand. can also be used if your in a bad mood to take out their head instead of hands. part of the combative mindset "defang the snake"

granted if you only carry a gun then you should shoot. but most cops carry sticks and the stick is generally a better tool for law enforcement then a gun. it's applicable a magnitude of times over a firearm in most cases. it's just that ive observed that most cops in the USA although supplied sticks haven't the faintest clue how to use them and are largely ignorant to their uses and extreme versitility in the applications and degree of force.

basically saying, you can be professional and not shoot someone a dozen times when it's almost always unneccessary.
edit on 30-7-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2015 by BASSPLYR because: used was'lic meant wa'tic. wastic is the technique used in this instance. was"lic is a scooping motion to parry a hhab ir sling an arm out of the way to create an opening or iff balance

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
lol out people defending a guy because he only has a knife. Yes I believe he would have been shot in the US and I believe rightfully so. If you replace the cop with me, just a normal citizen, and someone came at me with a knife there is no doubt I would shoot. I would also shoot several times more if I felt that my safety was still in danger. Oh by the way you have to do this in a matter of seconds.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You have to wonder if the reason that he attacked the UK cop with a knife was because he knew that the cop was unarmed? You also have to wonder if he would have attacked if the cop was armed?

I still keep thinking about that unarmed French cop that got blown away last year. When that guy advanced on him with that automatic rifle, I bet that he was wishing for a gun.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

When I hear something like that I think they should of formed a complete circle.
Are the cops in the U.K. better..definitely better trained in technique and patience.
edit on 30-7-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the advantage of subduing rather than shooting, a violent, knife-wielding nut job.

Because everyone had a RIGHT to a trial. You cant have a trial if you are dead.

Only in extreme circumstances should the police kill.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

He probably wont serve any significant jail time and will remain a danger to the general public.

Would you see the advantage if it was YOUR brother with a mental illness and having an episode?

I bet you would.......

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I call somebody attacking me with a knife extreme.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Good thing you aren't LEO in the UK then......

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Are you kidding me ?

They don't even have to be young and lunging for the nut jobs in the u.s. to kill them

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
"Hey guys! This good thing happened in a country!"

"This means that the other country is BAD!"

"But, that good thing happens in the other country sometimes too."

"BAD."
edit on 30-7-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

ah yes, excellent. a link to the exact thread I had mentioned earlier. also an interesting read.

shows how less appropriately trained leos deal with a much less dangerous knife weilding situation. nit sure in policing what counts more. proper training or quality of character. but i know both are sorta really important.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

"BAD."

"Hey guys! This BAD thing happens ALL THE TIME in a country"

"At about a million to one ratio compared to other civilized countries"

So yes......"BAD"

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

"BAD."

"Hey guys! This BAD thing happens ALL THE TIME in a country"

"At about a million to one ratio compared to other civilized countries"

So yes......"BAD"

Oh look it happens in the UK too

No seriously it does

I can keep going

Oh hey, Police in the US subdue armed people without deadly force!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: crazyewok

I call somebody attacking me with a knife extreme.

Well obviously not that extreme in this case as the policeman manged to subdue him without killing him.

So it can be done.

If your to much of a pussy that you have to shoot everyone you shouldn't be a cop.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join