It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Impossible' rocket drive works and could get to Moon in four hours

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I was wondering why I couldn't book for Olympus Mons on Orbitz.com yet!

What a disappointment.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: Thebel

The force of gravity is different for each object, and the further from an object you get the weaker it's gravitational pull on you is. You are quite correct.
But the G Force being discussed is the force experienced during acceleration. Which is measured in equivalent to the force of Earth's gravity at sea level. 1 G.

Yes, but you don't experience 1 G in space, you experience something lower. Of course, near Jupiter or so the G-force grows dramatically. Near Jupiter the G-force you experience is about 2.5 G's when you are not moving. In moon, in the other hand, the G-force is only 0.17 G's. You can accelerate (or decelerate) much faster near the moon and interplanetary space.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

And these g-forces you feel is a direct result of the force of gravity trying to accelerate you toward it's surface.

Again, it's all tied to acceleration.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418
I believe if you read a few other articles you will find it has been tested in a vacuum to eliminate the chance it was actually an effect of heating.

this article seems to indicate the readings are from heating though...so who knows. Seems like heat would be an obvious source of noise and the first thing anyone would try to rule out.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

You are talking about the specific gravitational pull of a given object. And in that context, you are entirely accurate. But the G Force of acceleration is different. It is only measured in an force value equivalent to earth's gravity.
When you are in a sports car and it accelerates rapidly from 0 to 60, the force you feel is not gravity suddenly pulling you horizontally back into your seat. It is the force of acceleration acting against the momentum of your body. So whether in space or in a car, this still happens.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
No, no, and no. This is a lot of hot air. The thing does not work as advertised. I wish it did, but it does not.

www.iflscience.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

This is why when people claim things are IMPOSSIBLE TODAY it might not be IMPOSSIBLE TOMORROW.

Clearly! That is the way things always work but narrow closed minds can't see ahead they only see today!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Very slowly we start seeing technology leak out. This type of drive has been working probably much longer than 15 years ago. I truly believe we have FTL drives and have had them for years. Generally I like to think that what we (the public) have now we probably had 50 years ago (military).

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Very slowly we start seeing technology leak out. This type of drive has been working probably much longer than 15 years ago. I truly believe we have FTL drives and have had them for years. Generally I like to think that what we (the public) have now we probably had 50 years ago (military).

I have a feeling you're probably onto something here.

I think what we're seeing is a "nudge nudge" to a scientist here, a "little help" to a scientist there...

So, from the outside it appears civilian scientists are coming up with all this on their own, but little clues and helpful hints are being dropped here and there by the M.I.C scientists.

There was an episode of Stargate: SG1 where the Carter and another scientist had some advanced laser based on alien technology they were supposed to demonstrate to a bunch of civilian scientists.

They intentionally made the test fail to discourage further development of the laser-like device.

I bet you'd be surprised at how accurate something like that may be...

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VekTorVik

Thanks for the link...

I have read a few articles on this device...ALL seem to state, explicitly, this this device develops no thrust in a "static" configuration. Meaning, that they are unable to test it since it kind of needs to product thrust in such a configuration.

One article stated that in all test in the US, UK, and china that when tested in a dynamic configuration; after all of the "background" forces were removed, the device itself produced no thrust or forces.

So, basically, even the "scientific" literature on this states; it doesn't work...

I'm still looking for something about this that has some real and significant science in it...so far; just hype.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

The gravity you feel on a planet or moon is also known as "gravity due to acceleration".

For example, Earth's gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second (9.8 m/s²) --- which is a value indicating acceleration.

edit on 7/29/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic This is awesome. Made my day. Thank you for finding it and posting it!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaffo
No, no, and no. This is a lot of hot air. The thing does not work as advertised. I wish it did, but it does not.

www.iflscience.com...

From the OP "Nevertheless, we do observe thrust close to the actual predictions" ...that would sort of mean it does produce thrust and enough to match the information given by the people that make it?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

www.iflscience.com...

From the OP "Nevertheless, we do observe thrust close to the actual predictions" ...that would sort of mean it does produce thrust and enough to match the information given by the people that make it?

Did you actually read the article? To wit: "What it actually does is produce a tiny, tiny amount of thrust via a method that’s not entirely understood."; "“[They] don’t say that they’ve validated the drive – just that they can’t explain where their teeny tiny thrust signatures are coming from."

So what it actually does is produce a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of thrust, the origination of which is uncertain. It most assuredly has not at any point in time been shown to produce anything even close to what would be required to get to the Moon in 4 hours or Mars in mere days. As another poster noted earlier, it has not even been shown to be capable of lifting something a foot or even an inch off of the ground.
edit on 29-7-2015 by jaffo because: Spelling error.

edit on 29-7-2015 by jaffo because: Content, manners.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

I have a feeling you're probably onto something here.

I think what we're seeing is a "nudge nudge" to a scientist here, a "little help" to a scientist there...

So, from the outside it appears civilian scientists are coming up with all this on their own, but little clues and helpful hints are being dropped here and there by the M.I.C scientists.

There was an episode of Stargate: SG1 where the Carter and another scientist had some advanced laser based on alien technology they were supposed to demonstrate to a bunch of civilian scientists.

They intentionally made the test fail to discourage further development of the laser-like device.

I bet you'd be surprised at how accurate something like that may be...

Oh. My. God. Why in the he77 would anyone EVER do something like that? My God this site can't make up its mind. One day it's "The military and 'TBTB' control everything!!!!" And then the next it's "Yeah, 'THEY' are releasing tiny amounts of knowledge so that civilians can feel like they are the ones inventing things!" WHAT?! What is that even supposed to mean?! Why would "THEY" do any such thing?! Where is the logic in this belief?! My God this place is frustrating sometimes. . .

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

But, just as a proof of concept it is interesting. The first ion drive was woefully underpowered for any practical application, and Von Braun's first rockets could not acheive escape velocity. But if this device does indeed produce thrust without fuel, and proves to be scalable/improvable, it could be the beginning of something amazing.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

So what it actually does is produce a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of thrust, the origination of which is uncertain. It most assuredly has not at any point in time been shown to produce anything even close to what would be required to get to the Moon in 4 hours or Mars in mere days. As another poster noted earlier, it has not even been shown to be capable of lifting something a foot or even an inch off of the ground.

Ion thrusters, that are currently (and successfully) propelling probes through space, couldn't hope to lift my meager mass an inch off the surface.

In fact, I probably wouldn't even notice the force it would apply to me.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: jaffo

But, just as a proof of concept it is interesting. The first ion drive was woefully underpowered for any practical application, and Von Braun's first rockets could not acheive escape velocity. But if this device does indeed produce thrust without fuel, and proves to be scalable/improvable, it could be the beginning of something amazing.

Now there I agree with you completely, my friend. Absolutely proof of concept. I just do not get why people cannot enjoy progress of the free market and exchange of ideas without trying to drag some utterly inane conspiracy theory into every single thing someone posts. Ugh. . .

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Nibbles

Do you even get g-forces in a vacuum?

Eta: Seriously though. When people are in orbit they are travelling 17k or 27k, I forget the speed but it's mega fast. Are they feeling the Gees? I think not. Speed in space is irrelevant when there is no gravity as far as I know.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are dead wrong, gravity is irrelevant. It's called "g's" because we equate the force to the force of gravity to measure it. Acceleration causes this force, not velocity.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

It only indicates acceleration because when you drop something it accelerates. You have fundementally misunderstood basic physics, something I see far too often on this site. We aren't sure were gravity comes from, period.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join