It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

You can't blame Drag Queens for the Original Story, that is Trans and Non-Binary people complaining.

The way you are talking about Drag Queens, maybe you forget that they are People under the Drag* ( talking about Drag Queens and not Genderfluid people like me)

Can you give my any kind of Story about a Drag Performer Insulting a Trans Child? especially at a Pride Event?

So we can Ban the Trans people that actively attack the Gay and Drag Communities? just the offensive ones

(post by JadeStar removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kojiro

Social Media can be pretty appalling.. as i was telling Jade i've had a few Trans Woman attack me for being Genderfluid or for being a Drag Performer, just like there have been Gays who attack Lesbians and Straight Woman who attack Gays and all over the community... it does nothing for our community it's sad actually

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

You can't blame Drag Queens for the Original Story, that is Trans and Non-Binary people complaining.

The way you are talking about Drag Queens, maybe you forget that they are People under the Drag* ( talking about Drag Queens and not Genderfluid people like me)

Can you give my any kind of Story about a Drag Performer Insulting a Trans Child? especially at a Pride Event?

So we can Ban the Trans people that actively attack the Gay and Drag Communities? just the offensive ones

To me anyone who is featured as a performer or speaker and is offensive to others and brings drama and division to a day or an event which is supposed to celebrate GLBTIQ+ unity probably should be seriously questioned by the community and their future involvement with that day or event examined.

Doesn't matter if they're part of the committee or if they are Gay men, Drag performers, Lesbian, Trans, Queer, Genderfluid, Leathermen, People on Stilts, etc.

Remember what the day or event and the spirit of it are about and act accordingly to self police and there won't be stories like this. What this story sounds like is a breakdown in self policing.
edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
and think it perfectly acceptable to never tell anyone, even potential love interests,

That was certainly never said. Quite the opposite in fact.

even in the unlikely event they were going to marry

So, transgendered people are ineligible for marriage? Since when? That would certainly be news to EKron.

(just thought it important to inform the potential person they couldn't have kids, not that they had their penis and scrotum turned into a vagina).

That was never said either. In fact I seem to recall quite a few of us advocating disclosing the circumstances of our birth if the relationships became long term. It's interesting that you, who claim to hate "dishonesty" has to now utilize dishonesty to win some kind of debate. Jade's dad was correct, real "piece of work" indeed.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kojiro
Do I think a blanket ban is appropriate? Not really. I agree with Jade that vetting performances in advance would be a better tactic. A ban should only really apply to performers who have a long history of insensitivity and offensive material. You're trying to entertain a pride event, after all, not start a riot.

Exactly. If Iggy Azalea was forced to pull out of performing at a pride event for things she said on Twitter which offended parts of the community that would be attending it, why should a drag queen who has a history of offending parts of the community during their performances or off stage, be spared the same ire?

Sounds like a double standard.
edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

No, because the story didn't mention any "Offensive Performers" they even said that Trans-Queens could perform, just not Cisgender Queens, that is crossing the line into Discrimination and saying one Group can take precedence over another for no other reason than they don't like Cisgender Drag Performers

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Are you going to respond to my post or resort to calling anyone that doesn't agree with you a bigot?

I don't think of you as an "it". You're a woman, just different.

So, you think it's wrong for Drag performers to perform, because they may inadvertently insult transgender people. Well, so what? Comedy is comedy, and sometimes it's not going to be safe. But an entire group of people shouldn't be banned from performing in an official capacity in the off chance being themselves offends some professional group of perpetual victims that bases their entire argument on just wanting to be themselves. It's incredibly hypocritical.
It's gong hiking and saying mother nature hates you if you get your shoes dirty.

Go ahead Domo... show how ignorant you are again. The stage is yours. My dad called you a real piece of work after reading some of how you treated me in the "Two Questions for Transgender People" thread. I told him that i'd use another word..

I think it's pretty clear I'm not ignorant about this topic at all. I give a ton of respect to transgender people, and use the correct pronouns, know the differences between sexual orientation, sex, birth sex, gender and pretty much everything else. I don't agree with you, but that isn't because I'm ignorant. It's because we have very different values. I don't think you're a terrible person, I think you;re young and haven't yet thought about how your actions affect others, and that just because someone doesn't agree with you or like who you are, doesn't automatically make them less than human, or acceptable to manipulate.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

No, because the story didn't mention any "Offensive Performers" they even said that Trans-Queens could perform, just not Cisgender Queens, that is crossing the line into Discrimination and saying one Group can take precedence over another for no other reason than they don't like Cisgender Drag Performers

Hmmmm, missed that.

Do they say why?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

“The decision was taken by transgender individuals who were uncomfortable with having drag performances at the event,” it wrote. “It was felt that it would make some of those who were transgender or questioning their gender uncomfortable.”

They have since changed their Mind and allow Drag Acts, but the point was that Drag 'Mocks' Gender Which is not true, and it would make trans People feel uncomfortable

The one thing i don't get is, the Trans People who don't want to associate with the GLBTQ+ community are the ones that are trying to decide what and what not can happen

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

“The decision was taken by transgender individuals who were uncomfortable with having drag performances at the event,” it wrote. “It was felt that it would make some of those who were transgender or questioning their gender uncomfortable.”

They have since changed their Mind and allow Drag Acts, but the point was that Drag 'Mocks' Gender Which is not true, and it would make trans People feel uncomfortable

The one thing i don't get is, the Trans People who don't want to associate with the GLBTQ+ community are the ones that are trying to decide what and what not can happen

What I also don't understand is why some consider transvestites to be under the umbrella but others don't. I'm part of another forum specifically for transgender topics and there are cross-dressers who don't identify as transsexual yet are totally welcomed there. I'm not sure why some are cool with it and some aren't.

To me, the Hollywood depiction of transgender people has caused far more damaging misconceptions than any drag queen has.

I'm personally sorry if you've ever been made to feel unwelcome by those who should no doubt see you as an ally.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Good luck with this, the whole feigning ignorance.

I believe it was. It certainly was said that it would be understandable if a transgender didn't disclose because the past sex of the individual is behind them. Love interest was actually meant to imply sex interest, it was admittedly not the best phrasing. Sadly, I'm still right despite my mistake in phrasing.

So, transgendered people are ineligible for marriage? Since when? That would certainly be news to EKron.

In the unlikely event that a transgender person hadn't informed the person they were going to marry. Transgender people should have the same rights as the rest of us, including marriage. Just not if they only feel the most important thing to divulge is that they are unable to have children, which was said.

It's interesting that you, who claim to hate "dishonesty" has to now utilize dishonesty to win some kind of debate.

I'm not being dishonest, you're doing a good job of painting me that way, but all these things were said. Agree, the majority of people in the thread stated that if things became romantic, they would disclose the sex change operation. Problem is, many wouldn't if the relationship wasn't going to be long term, and the whole argument was that a transgender person is now completely the exact same as whatever sex and gender the identify with.

Jade's dad was correct, real "piece of work" indeed.

I don't see a need for personal attacks. I'm not attacking anyone personally, I'm disagreeing vehemently with what I find to be a disturbing trend of entitlement among a certain subset of transgender people here on this website.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
From what I have seen, there is some very real discrimination from some in the trans* community towards pre-op individuals, or those that can be lumped in due to similarities (drag queens).

I'm not too surprised at a story like this because of that, as well as typical group behavior in humans. The most heavily persecuted individuals tend to be within the same group complex, with the most readily identifiable differences. The power structure tends to be defined like most consensus reality, and that is by which "sect" has the most acceptance in general society.

Hopefully, some day, we will be able to break beyond our own social inadequacies. But I have my doubts that group specific approaches will tackle such a problem.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I Agree, people have different opinions and believe differently.

i think a main reason is some Trans people think that Drag is Mocking Gender, which in turn is actually trying to police Gender. while Cross-Dressing is not "Performing".. it doesn't make sense to me personally

and i am equally as sorry that trans people are held under the assumption of "Dude in dress".. i agree Hollywood has done a horrid job is depicting Trans people

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

The trans people that think they're cis are the most obnoxious and annoying group I've ever run across. They basically find a reason to be offended by everyone, and seem to relish denigrating everyone that lacks the same amount of arbitrary pity points.

The rallying cry is I'm exactly the same, only better because of how different and offended I am!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

To me, the Hollywood depiction of transgender people has caused far more damaging misconceptions than any drag queen has.

I honestly think that a certain group transgender people have done an insane job of alienating themselves from all potential allies.

It's important to remember that these creepy perpetually offended people don't represent the majority. They're just the shrillest.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Not banned for being an offensive parody of women for hundreds of years but banned due to being offensive to men that think of themselves as women or women that think of themselves as men.

It was only a matter of time before ludicrous ''political correctness'' self destructed.
edit on 23-7-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Drag is not an offensive Parody of Woman for One, for Two Trans People Are Men and Woman, it's not just a thought

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Good luck with this, the whole feigning ignorance.

I believe it was. It certainly was said that it would be understandable if a transgender didn't disclose because the past sex of the individual is behind them. Love interest was actually meant to imply sex interest, it was admittedly not the best phrasing. Sadly, I'm still right despite my mistake in phrasing.

Nice backpedal , too bad right after it you comma'd and added "sexual partners," differentiating the situations.

In the unlikely event that a transgender person hadn't informed the person they were going to marry.

That's not how it reads, and that reflects very badly on you.

Transgender people should have the same rights as the rest of us, including marriage. Just not if they only feel the most important thing to divulge is that they are unable to have children, which was said.

No it wasn't.

It's interesting that you, who claim to hate "dishonesty" has to now utilize dishonesty to win some kind of debate.

I'm not being dishonest, you're doing a good job of painting me that way, but all these things were said.

No they weren't. You're making things up. Everyone stating that they were for informing long term partners. You are either being dishonest, or you completely misunderstood something that was said.

Problem is, many wouldn't if the relationship wasn't going to be long term, and the whole argument was that a transgender person is now completely the exact same as whatever sex and gender the identify with.

Because gender is ruled by the mind, not some physical mishap between the legs. Maybe if the world was a better place, devoid of people like you, we could be more open. Unfortunately people like you, who say our efforts to correct our bodies are meaningless and compare us to "Chinese knockoffs" and trivialize every problem we face, do exist and so we have need to remain as indiscreet as possible.

Jade's dad was correct, real "piece of work" indeed.

I don't see a need for personal attacks. I'm not attacking anyone personally, I'm disagreeing vehemently with what I find to be a disturbing trend of entitlement among a certain subset of transgender people here on this website.

Says the person who kept calling Jade "terrible."
edit on 7/23/2015 by Kojiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I honestly think that a certain group transgender people have done an insane job of alienating themselves from all potential allies.

It's important to remember that these creepy perpetually offended people don't represent the majority. They're just the shrillest.

I've witnessed your evolution in coming around to what, exactly, it is that transgender people go through. I know that your words were far more hurtful in the past so I'll cut you some slack these days because I understand that it's a process to accept certain things.

However, you must understand that, for as long as there are people who speak as you have and far worse, there will always be a need for advocacy for transgender folks. When a transwoman or transman no longer wants to identify as trans*, they are not doing so because they are alienating the rest of the transgender demographic; they are doing it because they are succeeding at what most of us want to succeed at: living a normal life.

I think the reason it makes people uncomfortable is because many seem to think they are entitled to know everything about everybody and it gets under their skin to think that the pretty girl at the bar may have been born with a penis. The thought that a transwoman may give them an awkward erection makes them feel threatened. This sort of intrusive entitlement the average person believe they have into the lives of others is the exact reason many trans folk go into stealth.

Those who don't should certainly be commended but those that do should never be shamed.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join