It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

single Mom Leaves Kids in Food Court to Go on Interview Nearby, Gets Arrested for Abandoning Them

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

just to let ya know, the idea of leaving a six year old and a two year old alone anywhere scares the heck out of me, what can I say, my kids were hell raisers when they were young. but, would the reaction on these boards be any different if they were a couple of five year olds?
is there more than one way to act accordingly.... I mean like already stated, my mom had narcs all over the place, I couldn't do anything without her finding out about it before I got home. at the time I thought she was magical or something. most communities could make their neighborhoods safer if it was a priority for them.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I completely agree. Unfortunately, many areas are too concerned about the size of their TV to do anything proactive about things like this.

I don't knock the mother of the children at all for trying to get a job. Good on her. I hope whomever she interviewed with winds up giving her the job, even after all this crap.

As for the ages: my kids are both older than hers are by a few years, but I wouldn't park them in a food court while I went to go talk to somebody. My reaction would be the same even if they were both five.

Side note: maybe your mom WAS magical?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I'll stop saying you're ignorant when you stop concocting wild fantasies and trying to compare them to what happened in this case.

I know you need this to be the fault of the police, prosecutor, judge, government in general, etc but at the end of the day it's poor parenting. That's nobody's fault but her own.

Funny that you insist I don't call you ignorant, then turn around and do the same to me.

Take care now.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I'll stop saying you're ignorant when you stop concocting wild fantasies and trying to compare them to what happened in this case.

I know you need this to be the fault of the police, prosecutor, judge, government in general, etc but at the end of the day it's poor parenting. That's nobody's fault but her own.

Funny that you insist I don't call you ignorant, then turn around and do the same to me.

Take care now.
I agree, it was poor parenting.

But was it really criminally poor parenting?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Take care now.

That's for the judge yet to decide.
Her case is still pending and the woman said "she worried how it might affect her at her new job'.
Fair enough, jail time might get you fired.
I'd like to point out nobody knows who or why the police were called,
The kids could have been wandering about for all we know.
Maybe they decide to go look for mom, they do that too.

How about we let the judge decide what's best in this case since he will have much more of the facts than we do.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Take care now.

That's for the judge yet to decide.
Her case is still pending and the woman said "she worried how it might affect her at her new job'.
Fair enough, jail time might get you fired.
I'd like to point out nobody knows who or why the police were called,
The kids could have been wandering about for all we know.
Maybe they decide to go look for mom, they do that too.

How about we let the judge decide what's best in this case since he will have much more of the facts than we do.
Those are my thoughts on the matter, yes. I was asking more for a personal opinion rather than factual statements.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Personally? My response would depend on the totality of the circumstances. Like asktheanimals said, I don't think all the info is out for public consumption yet.

I can see circumstances where anything from a mild chiding is merited, a full blown reading of the riot act, or even arrest.

Just depends on the entire situation, and I don't think the whole story is known.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You mean you won't knee-jerk and declare it as right or wrong without knowing all the facts?

How boring.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

stop saying you're ignorant when you stop concocting wild fantasies and trying to compare them to what happened in this case.

I am the one making up wild fantasies? Omg there is a stranger lurking around every corner just waiting to snatch and do horrible things to your children. Do you have any idea how rare it is for a stranger to abduct your child? I really thought you were above being brainwashed by the media..

veryone knows how dangerous it is for kids out in the world, right? Everyone knows that strangers can't be trusted, right? This is so sad. It's sad because what "everyone knows" is a huge steaming pile of bull#. According to all the recorded facts and statistics, it seems that children are actually SAFER with strangers than they are with their own parents! Let's take a look at some of those facts I promised....

According to the U.S. Dept. of Justice statistics on violent crimes (1973 - 2002), the rate of kidnappings perpetrated by strangers is 0.0017 percent for every 1,000 children. In real-world numbers, this means that out of every 1,000 children who get kidnapped, only 1 or 2 of them are taken by strangers.

Oh... Bet that's news to ya, eh? Maybe not. Let's move on.

According to another study done by the U.S. Dept. of Justice, of the roughly 69,000 kidnappings that occurred in 1999 only 115 of them were abductions by strangers.

But wait, there's more!

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, in the year 2000, the following occurred:

• 255 children died of the flu or pnuemonia
• 452 children died from heart disease
• 1,921 children committed suicide
• 11,560 children died from accidental injuries

So, what does all that mean in relation to the topic at hand? Lemme break it down for you, dumbass. When compared to the actual statistics for stranger abductions, a little simple math shows us....

• Children are twice as likely to die of the flu than be kidnapped by a stranger
• Children are 4 times more likely to die of heart disease than be kidnapped by a stranger
• Children are 17 times more likely to commit suicide than be kidnapped by a stranger
• Children are 100 times more likely to die because of an accidental death than be kidnapped
by a stranger

Let's get even crazier with this #, shall we? Let's compare the odds of getting abducted by a stranger to some other things (cuz fact-filled documents just LOVE doing that, y'know).

The odds of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 310,000. The odds of being abducted by a stranger? 1 in 610,000! Wow, that means that a child is more likely to die in a plane crash than get kidnapped by a stranger. That isn't the coolest thing though... Check this # out. The odds of being struck by lightening are 1 in 240,000! That's right, do the math, you bitches! A child is 2 and a half times more likely to get hit by lightening than to get taken by a stranger! But, when was the last time the news made a big deal out of child getting struck dead by lightening? Apparently, it happens more than twice as often, yet we never hear about it. Hmmm.. I wonder why.

Watch out for the child predators..
www.snipeme.com...
I never left my kid alone but I was married and have a good wife with lots of family support.. I can not imagine being a single parent of 2 kids with no help.
edit on 22-7-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Lol!

I'll go so far as to say that at this point I'm not very sympathetic to her. There's any number of things she could've done that would have easily prevented any of this from happening.

But, alas, I'm not adverse to changing that mindset if and when further information comes to light.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Lol!

I'll go so far as to say that at this point I'm not very sympathetic to her. There's any number of things she could've done that would have easily prevented any of this from happening.

But, alas, I'm not adverse to changing that mindset if and when further information comes to light.
I lean toward the side of the mother, in this case. Though I too will wait for all the facts.

She could have made better choices, for sure. I just think we're going a little too far as a society in telling parents how to look after their youngins.

This could be a symptom of that, or it could be legitimate neglect. I'll hold my judgements until then.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You know what's funny about your comment?

I can very easily imagine being a single parent of two small children. Because I am one. And have been for three years. My nearest family is a 7 hour drive away. And that's one person. The rest of them are a minimum 3 hour flight of further.

You may not be able to imagine it, but I don't need to imagine it because I live it. 365 days a year, 366 in a leap year.

ETA - since you like stats and all, I dug some up for you: over 460,000 entries for missing children in 2014. About 100 kids a year that are abducted are murdered. No big deal, it's "only" a hundred. Let the kids do what they want, leave em in the food court while you go do something. The odds are probably in your favor.

www.missingkids.com...

www.fbi.gov...
edit on 22-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Typo. My bad homies.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I doubt if they would put her in jail. more likely, the judge released the children to her, and a case manager from social services was called in. they will work with her, make her jump through a few hoops, maybe help her transition from single mom to working mom even. ya know like if there are any of those churches out there like so many claim there is that will give moms a day off by watching their kids for free and things like that they can point her into the direction of them. they might even be able to get her some financial help with child care. of course, if they think that it might be better for their kids (or possilby the agency's balance sheep they might recommend that the children be put into foster care for a spell.

edit on 23-7-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

scared of the world.

It's the only words in this thread worth quoting. So much fear exhibited here. Seems the MSM has done it's job. A boogeyman everywhere so we must all live in fear.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join