It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

single Mom Leaves Kids in Food Court to Go on Interview Nearby, Gets Arrested for Abandoning Them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
A Houston mom was arrested for "abandoning her children" after leaving them in the food court while she went on a job interview only 30 yards away.

She said her kids who are 2 and 6 were never out of her sight. Single mothers have it hard enough, at least she took them into the food court in a public place with air conditioning.

She could have left them at home alone , she could have left them in the car, she did what she was supposed to do she took them in, fed them and told them to sit there until she got back, and probably told the 6 year old to make sure the 2 year old stayed in their seat.

when I was 6 I was allowed to play outside all by myself, My sister( who was 2 years older) and I walked to and from school and were left home alone often lol.

A single mother in Houston is facing charges for abandoning her two young children so she could go on a job interview, KHOU reports.

Laura Browder took her two children to the Memorial City Mall where she was scheduled to have an interview with a local company. The job was not with a business in the mall, but the interview was arranged to take place there. Browder let her 2-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter sit in front of the McDonald's at the food court while she went on the interview, which she later said in a statement was not more than 30 yards away.

link

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It only takes seconds for a pederass to swoop them up. I doubt she could look at the interviewer and the kids at the same time.

That said, it looks a little extreme if they are actually at the distance stated.

Does anyone know what the law is there about the maximum distance kids can be from parents?

Or is this an actual law?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Thats f'n sad, I wonder if the interviewer was aware the interviewee had children in the vicinity, why not at the next table as opposed to 30y away?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
It only takes seconds for a pederass to swoop them up. I doubt she could look at the interviewer and the kids at the same time.

That said, it looks a little extreme if they are actually at the distance stated.

Does anyone know what the law is there about the maximum distance kids can be from parents?

Then you are in favor of welfare over work?

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

So... the single mom is either considered a leech on the system or they're arrested for trying to not be a leech on the system.

If anything, this should go down as an illustration for how difficult it is for a single mother to find work and "pull herself up by her bootstraps".
edit on 21-7-2015 by Cuervo because: Grammar

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
And if her children had been kidnapped, injured, or killed, everyone would be blaming her for leaving them alone regardless of the circumstances.

Maybe she should have explained the situation to the interviewer and took them with her. I mean, if an employer has a problem with bringing children along for an interview due to hard circumstances, how understanding would they be when she has to stay home with her sick kid?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

No, I like pizza

WTF are you talking about?

edit:

I'm for putting your kids in a safe place while you handle your business.
Plan ahead, and be responsible. That is your only job as a guardian.

Daycare, neighbor, babysitter, family, whatever. But sitting them in a place with high traffic is just stupid.

Is a criminal charge a little overboard? Definitely

edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
And if her children had been kidnapped, injured, or killed, everyone would be blaming her for leaving them alone regardless of the circumstances.

Maybe she should have explained the situation to the interviewer and took them with her. I mean, if an employer has a problem with bringing children along for an interview due to hard circumstances, how understanding would they be when she has to stay home with her sick kid?

Precisely the point - there is no 'understanding' employer in a food court - and no laws to ensure sick children receive care from their parents or other caregivers.

So which is it: Work or Welfare?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

No, I like pizza

WTF are you talking about?

Exactly.

Let me add - she did do the best she could do in her circumstances. She was at the mercy of her potential (minimum wage - a food court vendor - simple deduction holmes) employer as to when to show up.

edit on 21-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wouldn't it have been nice if there was a program in place where someone required to do volunteer work to earn a portion of their welfare could volunteer to babysit for others who are trying to find work?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

It could very well be that an employer might regard someone with children more likely to call in sick..etc, not right at all but a reality/fear of a single mother looking for work in a market where jobs are few, arresting her is not helpfull Im sure.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Wouldn't it have been nice if there was a program in place where someone required to do volunteer work to earn a portion of their welfare could volunteer to babysit for others who are trying to find work?

Actually there are baby-sitting co-opts - but not for poor people.

It generally requires a LOT of organization and scheduling basically a full time job - stay at home moms can mange it but working moms rarely can. To do it for the poor, working - mind you - poor - would require paid administration.

I think it's a terrific idea - but government would have to fund organization and probably liability insurance of some sort. These things are all doable - if the public will is behind it.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo This makes me sooooo angry. If she is 30 feet away she can see them, is in control of them. )(**()^*&^(&(*(%&% people who keep poor people from getting a job and at the same (()&(*%^*(^) time yell about how they must go about it. If I was there I might have walked by the 6 yr old and said 'where is mommy?' Or not, 30 minutes is sooo short. If I noticed, I likely would have sat there a bit and thought.

From the interview, maybe she could have asked a nearby parent with kids to ask, but that is embarasing.

I would have done it , if they were in eye view.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

There isn't a law. There are local laws about babysitting age, but not about this.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On one hand we want people to work and take care of themselves, but on the other we condemn them when they have to find "unacceptable" ways to secure stability.

We can't have it both ways people.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Interviewers, in general, do not like extra 'circumstances'. When I was a supervisor, hiring, I would have let the kids in the outer office, had a CSR entertain them. But DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE THAT IS? I meant the caps.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Maybe, but most that get cash welfare have more than 1 child. It is a thought , though.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

That is, again, a thought that looks good on paper. But they would have to be licensed to participate in such a thing. They would need a home inspection. Training. Many things the random person getting assistance does not have.

However....most places you apply for food stamps or Medicaid from also have you fill out an application for a county job. They could include such a childcare application. However...I have filled out those applications multiple times, have a degree, a good resume..and never a call. I would have welcomed working for social services downtown in an administrative capacity. Good subway service to the location, health insurance. Not the best starting wage, but a county job is nice. I don't think they read those, I don't have faith they would read a childcare app.
edit on 21-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Why is she the only one making statements to the media - do the police have nothing to say?
She says - she was "only 30 yards away".
In a busy mall you can lose your kids 10 feet away.
You can't see them or hear them over the din in those malls.
Again she said they were never out of her sight.

When she returned to pick them up, she found police officers waiting to arrest her.

The cops were WAITING.
She didn't see them approach her children then.
You don't leave a 6 year old in charge of any younger sibling.
Period.

McDonalds is not a babysitter, neither is a mall.
No sympathy from me, I raised my kids already.

edit on 21-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Some of them have multiple children or are being forced to seek employment under the terms of cash assistance. It wouldn't be reliable, as they must go to every interview offered. That could be less than a day's notice. Then, what happens to the person they were to babysit for?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join