It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you think cutting edge science will take us?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
There are only two paths technology will lead us.

1. The conquest of space.

2. Extinction.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
For those who want to be left alone and can understand the con being pulled or simply those who search for truth, imagine a boot stamping on the human head.
For those who's drive consist of happiness and instant gratification, bigger ball games, more sex, more soma; with easier access to anything to instantly gratify and thus distract.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a) We invent AI. We chock it full of safeguards to appease the party poopers and doomsayers. As the years wear on, those safeguards start being taken down in the name of efficiency and eventually, morality. AI either wipes us out maliciously or simply becomes a more successful species and humanity dies out.

b) We find definitive proof of the simulated reality argument. We attempt to contact our Programmers using out own technology. We either reach a state of mutual scientific/philosophical interest, or out Programmers freak out and shut us down.

c) Studies into quantum physics make a meaningful transition into the realms of neurobiology and the heart of the experience of consciousness. Rather than a dismissive, black-box take on the human experience, with it's every day wonders, science is used to explore (particularly in the paranormal areas of precognition, ESP, astral travel and the like) and reveals these to be potentials of the human mind to travel anywhere, at any speed and to manipulate the reality of a profound non-physical shadow world which it turns out, we are actually from.

d) Space/exoplanet colonies help save humanity from mass extinction events.

I predict any of the above four, or perhaps all four, within the next hundred years. And to future readers studying this thread, I apologize in advance for my hilarious inaccuracy

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I definitely recommend reading "The Invisible Pyramid" By Loren Eiseley for interesting musings on this topic!!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Down the same path to destruction we are already traveling.

I just wish it would end sooner. Humans aren't deserving of this wonderful thing called EARTH.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
One thing I very much want to see made reality, and I suspect the majority of those here do as well, is FTL travel. I sadly acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely in my lifetime, but it is still such a paradigm shifting technology. If it can actually be realized.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: thestillborn1
I just wish it would end sooner. Humans aren't deserving of this wonderful thing called EARTH.

Yes, we're all just so awful. Boo hoo.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
And one thing I think definitely will be part of humanity's future is the technology for hibernation-like sleep for long duration space travel.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
How many of the "humans are destroying Earth!" crown also deny AGW?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

To clarify, AGW is anthropogenic global warming? Or something else?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

3d-printing with be the next really big thing......It will change everything and put millions of people out of work in the next 5 years. Everything will be produced at home using your 3d-printer. They will be very cheap because the real money will be made on data downloads and raw material cost. Metal,plastic,rubber,fabric......This will all be made at home.

This will happen...........It has already begun.......3d-printing is the next huge leap forward. In the next 10-15 years nano technology will reach it's growth points and change things in amazing ways.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

We will never conquer space until all our nations come together and unite, thus utilizing our combined resources and cognitive ability's towards another form of conquest/expansion/colonization that does not involve self annihilation and the subjugation of other weaker members of our society.

To accomplish such a feat however without destroying ourselves in the process, or bringing about an Orwellian totalitarian nightmare requires a shift regarding our basic human paradigm. Simply because humanity being what it is in it present state absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Essentially what i'm saying is that we need to grow somewhat as a species before we are allowed into the deep end of the pool that is our universe.

edit on 23-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Cutting edge science will take us to a discovery of the universe as but the physical level of God.
In fact, this has already been shown in a mathematically rigorous way to be happening:
smphillips.8m.com...
It's just that few are competant enough in both the cutting edge of theoretical physics and ancient, religious & philosphical insight into the nature of God to recognise this. And those that are feel reluctant to give their support to this research because it is not a wise academic career move.....

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

Mathematically rigorous...
Posts numerology website...

Riiiiight.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I want an army of nanobots inside me that fix and prevent any medical issues!

I shall be immortal!

You will die of boredom.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Artificial spinal columns, if the nano bots aren't around yet. I already have a new knee, hip and reconstructed ankle. I'm well on my way to becoming RoboMom.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I would like to see us be able to generate and manipulate Supersymmetric particles and create cohesive stable matter from them.
And I do think we will develop the technology and process to create and harness magnetic monopoles. If we do, I want build a house from the material.
edit on 23-7-2015 by pfishy because: That's not a parking lot, that's my child.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I hope that advanced technology can give us plastic films for microwave dinners that come off in one piece rather than breaking off at the edges or into annoying strips.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
I hope that advanced technology can give us plastic films for microwave dinners that come off in one piece rather than breaking off at the edges or into annoying strips.

^^^ This. Mankind needs nothing else. You, GetHyped, are a visionary.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishyWhat is your vision of future technology, and how do you think it will shape society?

Heh. My "vision" is kind of irrelevant. As I'm not any kind of scientist, designer, inventor or engineer.

I don't think technology is some kind of a natural force that shapes society by sheer accident. I think technology is a tool that is purposely designed to shape society in a particular way. Some kind of engineer conceives of what he'd like society to look like in 50 years and asks himself what kind of changes would need to be made in order to push people in that direction.

Of course it's not just technology that such people could (And do, I would argue) conceivably use. However, it is obviously a powerful force.

People always ask why we don't have flying cars yet. Is it because they're impossible? Not really. If the internet is possible, I think someone could make a car fly. It's because technology isn't just a mad rush to create anything that can be conceived as quickly as possible. It's because flying cars just aren't wanted by the right people. At least for now.

What are they gonna come up with next? Well, what do they need to come up with in order to get us to do what they want us to do next?
edit on 26-7-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join