It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you think cutting edge science will take us?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Bruce Willis was really good in that movie.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
science will only take us as far as profits will tolerate....if a profit can't be made, we will not benefit from it

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

[Ahem, cough cough, Google Glass cough cough]
I'm actually a fan of the idea as well, but I don't think I want it to be an implant. Wearables only for me, thanks.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I want to be able to purchase any item that is packaged and the package to be biodegradable.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

That is fast becoming a reality, actually. There is a huge number of lab-on-a-chip diagnostic devices being developed to quickly and cheaply diagnose disease in economically depressed areas of the world where the expensive traditional diagnostic equipment is unavailable. And many of them are being designed to connect either physically or wirelessly with tablets and smartphones.
It is potentially the beginning of a huge shift in diagnostic ability and medicine in general.
edit on 21-7-2015 by pfishy because: That's not a parking lot, that's my child.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

The idea has merit but it also has tremendous potential for abuse or other misuse. The administrative body running it would have to be ENTIRELY beyond reproach, and it would have to have security measures that dwarfed anything in existence.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Also on it's way. Just read an article about yet another satellite Internet service about to launch and commission the first satellites in their fleet. And several philanthropists have expressed in trestle and have even begun development of satellite fleets for free global Internet access.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Direct answer to your subject line:

The "cutting edge" will be right around our throats.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Taken to its logical conclusion cutting edge science will take our species on-wards to immortality and another plane of existence or into oblivion which is rather synonymous with quite a few of our religions ideologies if you ask me.

End of the day only the singularity will tell.

edit on 21-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
I would like to see the establishment of a World Medical Database with all our medical records in it.
Each time we update our personal medical record the database is updated. This database can be accessed, via a authorization protocol, from emergency rooms, hospitals, doctors, even cruise ships. Included in this database should be records from colds to operations to physicals.

Now,that sounds great on the surface-but in reality,it would be abused by people in power for profit and control.
Its a good idea by people with decent intentions which can so easily be perverted by people with different agendas.
This illustrates exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.

Humaninty is flawed,science is not.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Also pretty close to being feasible. Just a matter of outfitting phones to ping and scan RFID tags. You could maybe gather everything you want to purchase and once you get to a certain point in the store, you activate the purchase system. Your phone would use a low-power signal so that it only reads the items in your basket. It then wirelessly communicates the purchases it has logged to a system in the store, which then checks it against the tags it detects in your cart and prompts your phone to proceed with the transaction. And it emails you a receipt.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Someday they'll just be contact lenses powered by your body's electrical impulses and heat.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
www.imdb.com...

I think were headed exactly here.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Could be either awesome or a nightmare. They would need the ability to fix any injury or disease, which would require a considerable amount of memory and processing power. It would likely have to be an external control system. Which would obviously have to maintain wireless 2 way communication with the nanobots on a constant basis. If the security of that system were to be compromised, the results could be unimaginably nightmarish.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The nanobots could be organic in nature...

They might read your DNA and notice if anything is out of whack in the body compared to what your DNA blueprint says it should be.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

More than likely. I saw an article not too long ago about sensors than can be built into contact lenses to detect blood sugar levels.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Oh, immune cells...
Just kidding. I don't doubt that technology will be able to make something like that a reality one day. I would just hope that they were not subject to the possibility of defect or mutation themselves.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think cutting edge science when wielded by wisdom can add so much joy to the world. Such would be the discoveries of a cooperative humanity....great and wondrous things.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

One thing I would like to see happen sooner than later the ability to use our smartphones for health related test results. To be able to install a health app that will provide a wide variety of results from a a small blood sample from a finger. There will need to be a devise that hooks up to the smartphone. This devise will take the blood sample and be able to provide the following results:
Cholesterol, Liver, Sugar, Heart Rate, Oxygen level, and the other organs in the body. Also be able to pick up markers that might indicate an issue. Basically the same results we get today when we get a physical. You will be able to read the results on the smartphone app showing results against the norm's.

This of course can be done at anytime and anywhere. You will be able to send the information to your family doctor so he has a record and keep it in a database.

There are some applications that can read your pulse using the smartphone flashlight and the CCD sensor. It's sensitive enough to detect the changes in colour due to a heartbeat. I'm sure that with a multispectral CCD sensor (multiple wavelengths, not just red/green/blue), it would be possible to take spectrograph readings and do all of the above.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

I would like to see the establishment of a World Medical Database with all our medical records in it.
Each time we update our personal medical record the database is updated. This database can be accessed, via a authorization protocol, from emergency rooms, hospitals, doctors, even cruise ships. Included in this database should be records from colds to operations to physicals.

Now,that sounds great on the surface-but in reality,it would be abused by people in power for profit and control.
Its a good idea by people with decent intentions which can so easily be perverted by people with different agendas.
This illustrates exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.

Humaninty is flawed,science is not.

That was one of the goals of Obamacare - to have an electronic health record system.

en.wikipedia.org...

The advantages are that you can keep all the different medical record together; everything from X-rays to MRI scans,
lab results, toxicology tests, doctors notes, prescriptions. The problems are that you have to keep the database and systems secure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join