It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., Cuba Restore Full Diplomatic Ties After 5 Decades

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

The new era began with little fanfare when an agreement between the two nations to resume normal ties on July 20 came into force just after midnight Sunday and the diplomatic missions of each country were upgraded from interests sections to embassies. When clocks struck 12:00 in Washington and Havana, they tolled a knell for policy approaches spawned and hardened over the five decades since President John F. Kennedy first tangled with youthful revolutionary Fidel Castro over Soviet expansion in the Americas.

U.S., Cuba Restore Full Diplomatic Ties After 5 Decades

Well it looks like as this work week starts, we have just normalized relations with Cuba. It's about time. I'm glad that we can finally go back to Cuba.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The American dollar at work.

But actually, don't he Chinese have many oil drilling wells off the coast of Cuba. Something just doesn't add up and also, who built the new airport in Cuba. Does China ring a bell.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

But actually, don't he Chinese have many oil drilling wells off the coast of Cuba. Something just doesn't add up and also, who built the new airport in Cuba. Does China ring a bell.

The US is China's biggest trade partner, it does not care if other countries do business with China.

As for the OP, it is about time. This was something that should have happened in the 1990's. I am looking forward to taking a cruise there in the next few years since I have done the rest of the Caribbean to death.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Who cares? Is any of that any real reason not to start trading with Cuba?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
As for the OP, it is about time. This was something that should have happened in the 1990's. I am looking forward to taking a cruise there in the next few years since I have done the rest of the Caribbean to death.

Yeah, that'll be nice. Plus we'll finally be able to smoke those cigars we hear so much about. I mean after all while they were illegal no one was smoking them of course... heh heh.

edit on 20-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This could be the one foreign policy decision from Obama that might be positive.

Well, one out of 138,957,865,748,930,978 isn't too bad.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Well, apparently most of the world thinks that Iran deal is a good thing too. So I don't know how YOU feel about that personally, but that would make at least 2 foreign policy decisions that Obama did positively.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

The US is China's biggest trade partner, it does not care if other countries do business with China.

I dont think so, africa is.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

As someone from the UK, I've been lucky enough to visit Cuba and if you have experience in the Caribbean then I would liken it a little to the Dominican Republic IMHO. Personally I can't say I was blown away by the cigars, and some are very costly, but that's not to put them down - maybe the reality just didn't meet the expectation.

To the OP though, this is great news and long overdue.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The Cuba embargo has been a worldwide joke. Glad its lifted.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Cuba will now become one big asre American Resort......Guess who all the hired help will be.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I didn't see too many cubans at versailles this morning shouting in outrage.

IMO this is great. I'd like to visit Cuba myself.
And I may seriously consider doing business in Cuba.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Plus we'll finally be able to smoke those cigars we hear so much about. I mean after all while they were illegal no one was smoking them of course... heh heh.

Not that I do this *ahem* but there are a few European cigar distributors that ship to the United States and guarantee delivery.

I need my Montys.

edit on 20-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

The Cuba embargo has been a worldwide joke. Glad its lifted.

The embargo is still on, only Congress can end that (which they should).

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Strange how we've had relations with the Commies of China and even Vietnam but have always made a stink about Cuba and still have that embargo, but relations now.
Mafia types still pissed that they were run out greasing Washington palms?
You have to admit, it is ridiculous to not have relations with a country you have a international detention center and Naval base within its borders.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Plus we'll finally be able to smoke those cigars we hear so much about. I mean after all while they were illegal no one was smoking them of course... heh heh.

Not that I do this *ahem* but there are a few European cigar distributors that ship to the United States and guarantee delivery.

I need my Montys.

Of course not! We all know that when the government bans things, no one EVER uses those things again right? After all, why continue to ban things we don't like?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Of course not! We all know that when the government bans things, no one EVER uses those things again right?

Nope. I never stock piled any R134 for one of my older cars that I had when the ban went into effect.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Cuba will now become one big asre American Resort......Guess who all the hired help will be.

American tourist may be able to travel to Cuba but all the great resort spots have been taken by a Spanish Corp.

www.paradisuscuba.com...

The US is SOL due to the stupid embargo.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Canadians will have to find a new spot - sounds like Cuba will be getting crowded now. .

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Canadians will have to find a new spot - sounds like Cuba will be getting crowded now. .
Maybe we can discourage the Americans...I mean it's bad enough with the Brits, Canadians and Krauts!! (relax, I represent 2/3 of those ethnicities)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join