It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scum of Self-Checkouts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese
Can you add ignorant people who are on their phone and push in front of you at a display/shelf/rack etc as if you aren't there.

Oh and another : not sure if this applies in the states. When at the checkout here we put the bar for the next person behind our shopping. The bars are usually further up near the cashier. Sometimes you have to wait to get nearer but there are some people who seem to hit panic mode if there is more than 2mm of conveyor space and MUST have that bar NOW and push past you to get it........put their shopping down and then wait minutes to get served...idiots!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't like self-checkouts and refuse to use them.

They are all part of the Globalist conspiracy!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Same in the states. I usually look behind me and if the person behind me looks worried I slide them one of the dividers..
As for me I just hold on to my stuff for the extra few seconds/minutes.

I mean really nothing is an issue. I help people out..

In fact I'm usually the guy who gets special treatment, with people letting me cut in front if I don't have a lot to buy. I think people can sense my coolness.. That's what it is. MY cool world revolves around me in coolness. Just oozing..

sry making fun of myself again.

lol

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I refuse to use self service checkouts, since it is a disgrace that they are even installed.

Put another way, companies should not be permitted to replace frontline staff with machines in retail environments. The whole practice goes against everything I believe, and that is why I will always insist on being served by a human being.

Bloody automatic tills... When they automate thought, do you suppose anyone will still do that the old fashioned way at least?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well, a lot of people feel that way, but look at history, and then we can consider now, and project into the future.

We used to have people in the fields doing all the labor to get our food. We now have machinery that has automated a lot of the jobs of the past. Are you against that? These innovations enabled the continued growth without going through famines and stabilizing our population. I can see an argument for both.

What about the telephone switching operators? We now have digital switching systems. I mean, really, you're fighting the inevitable. I don't think it's a well thought-out strategy.

So right now, we've lost a lot of industry in the west, and part of that is due to trade agreements, and some of that is due to automation. It seems these will continue to trend, until 25-45% of the currently available jobs are automated over the next 15-20 or so years. That's also inevitable, or do you honestly think there's a viable alternative? If not here, elsewhere, and then we are on a losing side. It doesn't make sense.

What does make sense is to apply the tech, then reconsider it's social impacts and adjust accordingly. So if the tech enables us to leverage our needs with less energy requirements, then society should benefit as a whole. What this means, in consideration of the same needs being met for less energy, and up to half the workforce not needing to fill jobs (some new ones will be created, but not nearly as many as will be lost), then we need to rewrite the social contract as a whole.

This isn't the way the system is run, and it would take a hell of a lot of reworking in multiple spheres of the system in order for it to take shape in full. Hell of a process, and yet if not, the consequences are dire, which is what you seem to want to really not have happen. I just don't think we should go against the flow of progress, rather bring tech progress in alignment with our values.
edit on 19-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I checked into this thread as I thought the title had an entirely different meaning.
These checkouts are stealing employment.
Same to be said for automated tellers.
Doesn't change the fact jobs are lost. If they're large companies, the employee is also losing benefits, etc., yes?
Takes awhile for the spinoff of that to trickle down the community.

What kind of jobs they going to get to replace the ones that are lost?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

From TrueBrit:

Put another way, companies should not be permitted to replace frontline staff with machines in retail environments.

See what he said there: "frontline staff...in retail environments." Yet you go all off on him about labor in the fields and telephone switching?
I don't use these automated check-out lines. I simply refuse to do so. Heck, the locally owned store where I do most of my grocery shopping doesn't even have them. They have people smiling and saying "Hello, did you find everything you needed today?" That's what retail is all about to me. If I wanted automation I could do all my shopping online except for the stuff from the Farmers' Market.
It's the cell phone addicts in the grocery store that get me frustrated. Why must they park their carts sideways in the aisle and stand there chatting, oblivious to the world around them. A polite "Excuse me, please" often doesn't even get a response. Sometimes it gets a scowl and a huff! Once I got a growl, "I was here first." when I politely asked a lady if I could get to an item she was blocking by standing there making plans for next week.
So I understand your frustration with the people who aren't paying attention to the task at hand---but really, there is no reason to take it out on TrueBrit because he has a different take on the world, now is there?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Wow! This is perhaps the most bonker thread I've encountered on ATS. You think I was in any way being disrespectful to TruBit in my post?

This is just so bizarre.

Think I'm out of here, it's high weirdness looking at these posts.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I dunno.

I like the idea of just walking into an environment, picking out my goods and having them scanned and deducted from my account as I pass through the doors. Been working on a way to make the environment less "institutionalized" and more friendly and comforting. You know, make it to where the cameras aren't "in your face" and the scanner door isn't so ominous looking.

Attention to detail and consideration for human psyches is important.

I've experienced the same thing pl3bscheese did and when it happens to my husband, it takes every ounce of self control we can both muster not to furiously yell at the deer in the headlights or self-absorbed pushy and socially unaware consumer.

Sadly, many market practices these day rely heavily on maintaining that dazed and confused type of consumer, and I feel it does everyone a grave disservice as such.

TrueBrit prefers human interaction. I have moments when it's enjoyable for me as well, plus it provides an employment opportunity for one who enjoys retail and service industry work. I know I miss my years behind the register before the consumer crowds became somewhat oblivious and irrational in their expectations and demands.

Personally, I would love to see a resurgence of small family grocers....more options tailored to individual preferences.

Hell, I remember when Whole Foods was just a small installation in a converted house in Austin. It was awesome. Slow pace, quiet and considerate clientele and wonderful healthy and wholesome selection. Now look at it. Big and boisterous.

It's nauseating.

Bigger does not always mean better - but until people learn to satiate their desire to force feed an ideology on everyone and destroy something that works in an attempt to generate astronomical revenue...it's gonna be a long road to Tipperary.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Maybe, but when you can check yourself out faster than the folks at the registers can ... why wouldn't you? If I have three or four items and there are a ton of people with carts full of stuff, isn't it better for me to simply check myself out quickly and quietly and let the checkers handle the folks who have lots of stuff?

Trust me. When it's a Sunday before the local NFL team plays or a day before a holiday and EVERYONE hits the grocery store at the same time ... and I have maybe two items, why take up space in line when I can just hit the self-check and walk?

Also, Mr. Ketsuko points out that nothing is more annoying than waiting in line with a whiny child and a cartload of groceries behind the guy with one or two items who simply refuses to use the self-check. It's a bit like being behind the person in the express check who has 20 items when you're only supposed to have between 12 and 15.

If folks could go to the appropriate place for their number of items, we'd all get out of the store faster and more efficiently.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
If I keep perspective, it's really a tiny, non-issue, yet it still got to me just a little in the moment. I just had the experience, and would like to get it off my chest to move on with the day.

I walk to a store. Time 3mins.

I acquire my items. Time 1min

I enter the self-checkout line. Time 5mins

There was 4 lanes, one closed down. Each had a person occupying, I was first in line. Some clueless girl with wandering eyes either tries to play off as if I wasn't there and cut in front of the only person in line, else truly was that clueless.

"Are you in line". eyes wandering still, looks up for a brief moment to nod head. "So am I". Steps in front of her. WTF?

Each person in these self-checkouts is incompetent. Their speed is at least 1/4 my own. I'm watching each person confused for reasons that are beyond my comprehension. There's no "please see attendant". on any screen, but one is looking around the store and stopped entirely. WTF? The second is having issues understanding you need to scan where the barcode can be read. She's experiencing insanity. I'm curious how long this could possibly go on. The third is fumbling in her bag, can't figure out how to get out monies, seems as if she's waiting for someone to say, "for the love of god, I'll pay for that for you, just GFTO". Not me.

Now back to the first, it was her husband. They make sure to kiss before he scans a case of soda. The girl who cut me off, yea so two lanes opened nearly at the same time. She stepped in front of me to take the first a fraction of a second before the second opened up. Can you believe this crap? It really happened. I scan my two items, stick in cash already prepared, and am out within 15 secs. That bitch is still there.

Man, it really was nothing, but at the same time I kept thinging things like what speed most people are truly processing at, how self-absorbed they really are, inconsiderate, what implications this has for society as a whole. I know this is one damned event, and I just need someone to open the door for me within the next 48 hours or so to restore my faith in humanity, but damned, that tiny experience had a not-so tiny impact on me.

Stupid people.

I feel your pain, some people afe really a brickshort of a load of common sense. I am glad instead of being one of the people who make a huge unneccisary scene that you cam here instead to rant.

You know who im talking about,the "Oh Hell no! " type of people.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
OP, ever heard the saying, stop and smell the roses?

I hate those darn things but actual human cashiers in my area are becoming extinct. When the store only has self check out line and not a single lane with a human cashier, what else can you do?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm sorry you took it that way. Please believe me when I say I was just pointing out that you seemed to be continuing your rant at TrueBrit because he didn't hold the same view of automated check-out lines. I was simply pointing out that there is a big difference between what he actually posted and what you addressed, i.e. frontline retail stores v. labor in the fields and telephone operators.

I understand that it is a rant and like you, I really didn't understand some of the responses you got!

Me, I'm for having the choice of human interaction or not. Our little locally owned store doesn't have those fancy machines and I'm good with that. Those who prefer to do business with machines can hit the stores that offer that service and it's all cool. One of the reasons I like the human aspect is that the machine can't notice the tiny hole in my bag of flour and ask if I want to exchange it for one without a hole.
Just yesterday morning I saw a young woman throw an absolute hissy fit in the midst of the Farmers' Market because most of the vendors there don't take plastic! She was literally standing in the middle of the Market yelling obscenities about it despite the fact that most of the stalls have signs which clearly say, "Cash or Checks only Please."

Again, I'm sorry if you thought it was an attack. I didn't mean it that way but I can understand your taking it that way.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

i am pretty sure this is the first post i have ever starred. i feel this way on a daily basis. at the self checkout, at my job. everywhere i go, and it makes me feel strange sometimes, like i cannot possibly be this much smarter than these people.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Sounds like one of these moments. The juxtaposition of patience (you were in a hurry), tolerance (little of) and the full self checkout line slowed to a crawl. A perfect triangle to test you.

How'd you do? Well, you steamed at being made to wait and instead of helping you just stood there fuming and passing judgement on others in their own predicaments.

I give you a C- overall. Its a passing grade.

Next time bring a gun and clear the room, that'll show them to slow down in front of you.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: blondegiraffe

like i cannot possibly be this much smarter than these people.

Thats just arrogance. You ave those moments like everyone else. You just don't notice you having them. Look back in line behind you next time it does happen to you. Look at those faces staring at your plight with the same disdain.

I go, thanks for being patient folks. Thats reassuring, shows you aren't one of the dummies ahead of you in line.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I obviously cannot speak for OP so I'll stick to speaking for myself.

My problem as I stated is largely me. I desire and crave efficiency. I do understand TrueBrit's stance...as often speaking the truth

I would love for more cashiers to be present. Creates jobs and moves lines quickly. Me personally...I love the self checkouts we have. All of a sudden...one day our Meijer switched their scanners and they are much quicker. Which means I can get in, out, no questions, no fuss and move on. I admit I have a preference for less interaction because frankly two places that grate me more than anything are the mall and the grocery store. Frankly I have no problem at all if people want to spend time and take it slow. I get a wee bit of the anxiety being around others...again...my problem not theirs

It's just the other set of things I mentioned (cutting people off, taking 100 items into the 12 or less, and such) seem so disrespectful to me. In that case I don't think I am off in thinking it's rude.

-shrug-

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

As I said, I disagree with service industry, and particularly retail sector jobs, being done by machine. There are a great number of industrial and agricultural processes that are better off done by machine simply from a health and safety perspective, and indeed many of those which are carried out by machine are in fact simply better at the job than a mob of humans ever could be.

However, retail is about more than goods in, and goods out. Retail is about equal parts supply/demand dynamic, and customer service. Now, you might have met the worst till operators on the face of the planet, and people often look down upon the lowly assistant at their local supermarket, especially when the chain for which they work is large. But in actual fact, if one applies oneself, one can get fantastically good at ones job in that arena, such that people will prefer to use ones till, because they will get served faster, and be spoken to politely, and with a smile.

For example, my first job was that of till operator and shop floor sales assistant. Basically, when I was not on tills,I would be stacking shelves, or helping the lads in the warehouse. But till work is where I really hit my niche back in the day. When I started out, it took me a month to figure out which till had the fastest scanner on it, and once I had, and proven myself capable on the slower tills, I managed to get it down to an art. One hundred and fifty quids worth of shopping, scanned, bagged, and out the door in less than two minutes, was one of my personal favourites. At no point during this blisteringly rapid service, did any of my customers feel like I was rushing them. All I was doing, was getting the job done as rapidly and effectively as possible, and the whole time, I would be talking to the customer, ensuring that everything they needed had been located, pulling in assistance to find hidden items, or just shooting the breeze with the customer if certain that their needs were being met.

I used to get hotel managers come in to do emergency restock shops, and they would come directly to my till, or ask a supervisor to pull me off shop floor to serve them, because they knew it would be faster, and they had meals to prepare once the shopping was done. And it is not as if speed is the only way that a young person with vim and drive can apply themselves to that sort of work either. Good service toward one particular customer got me a five pound tip once, although I only found out about it a couple of days after the fact. I had served an elderly lady with several bags full of shopping, and it was a fantastically hot day. My tea break (fifteen minutes, more commonly known as a cig break elsewhere in the world) was literally coming right up after I was done with that customers shop, and the customer herself was in a bit of a state, not being able to afford a taxi, and also not strong enough to carry her bags to her door, so I offered to help the lady get her shopping home.

She lived right around the corner from our store, so it only took five minutes to help her get her items back home, which was no skin off my nose at all. I had let my boss know where I was going, and when I returned, I carried on my shift after logging back into the till system. The next day was a day off for me, but the day after, when I arrived at work, I was taken aside by the supervisor, and taken to the managers office. I thought maybe I must have made an error with a transaction, and that they were looking to fire me or something, because they made no mention of the reason for my being taken aside until the door had shut, and we were sat down. It was only when my manager reached across his desk, shook my hand, and placed in it the five pound note, that I realised what had happened.

He, my manager that is, told me, with my supervisor breaking into a fat grin, that the lady I had helped out the day before had come in the day after to give me a tip, but that she had given it to my manager on account of my not being around to collect it. He also told me that in the entire history of the branch I was working at, I was the only member of staff to receive a service tip, and that he was "super chuffed" that I had gone the extra mile. I did not expect a tip. I was just doing my job as far as I was concerned. This is quite literally, what retail service is really about. It's not just about being capable of performing the tasks before one at a minimum standard, but about making sure that the customer experience of ones business is the best it can possibly be, and those auto tills cannot perform that function nearly as well as a driven, determined, and engaged employee can.

That leaves aside the bloody outrage of taking jobs away from people who desperately need them, in an industry and a job role which a machine cannot properly fill. Not only do I know the industry well enough to know that auto tills are no match for a human being, but I am STARKLY aware that placing auto tills everywhere and phasing out actual staff is bad for business, because it is bad for service. It is also bad for employment figures.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
If I keep perspective, it's really a tiny, non-issue, yet it still got to me just a little in the moment. I just had the experience, and would like to get it off my chest to move on with the day.

I walk to a store. Time 3mins.

I acquire my items. Time 1min

I enter the self-checkout line. Time 5mins

There was 4 lanes, one closed down. Each had a person occupying, I was first in line. Some clueless girl with wandering eyes either tries to play off as if I wasn't there and cut in front of the only person in line, else truly was that clueless.

"Are you in line". eyes wandering still, looks up for a brief moment to nod head. "So am I". Steps in front of her. WTF?

Each person in these self-checkouts is incompetent. Their speed is at least 1/4 my own. I'm watching each person confused for reasons that are beyond my comprehension. There's no "please see attendant". on any screen, but one is looking around the store and stopped entirely. WTF? The second is having issues understanding you need to scan where the barcode can be read. She's experiencing insanity. I'm curious how long this could possibly go on. The third is fumbling in her bag, can't figure out how to get out monies, seems as if she's waiting for someone to say, "for the love of god, I'll pay for that for you, just GFTO". Not me.

Now back to the first, it was her husband. They make sure to kiss before he scans a case of soda. The girl who cut me off, yea so two lanes opened nearly at the same time. She stepped in front of me to take the first a fraction of a second before the second opened up. Can you believe this crap? It really happened. I scan my two items, stick in cash already prepared, and am out within 15 secs. That bitch is still there.

Man, it really was nothing, but at the same time I kept thinging things like what speed most people are truly processing at, how self-absorbed they really are, inconsiderate, what implications this has for society as a whole. I know this is one damned event, and I just need someone to open the door for me within the next 48 hours or so to restore my faith in humanity, but damned, that tiny experience had a not-so tiny impact on me.

Stupid people.

disconnect from your computer. go outside. find an ice cream shop and buy a cone. give it to the first little kid you see. take a moment to appreciate the look on their face, and acknowledge the role you played in that. feel the power you have to make someone smile and realize how important that is, because smiles are contagious.

or just keep bitching on a conspiracy forum about how unfair life is.

your choice.

Not today, Bubba. If he's white and buys a black child ice cream he'll be called a privileged racist because he has money to flaunt in the face of blacks. If he's white and gives it to a white child the parents will be offended, think it's poisoned, beat him and get him shot by an officer. Don't you know better than to buy children ice cream and give it as a gift from the heart? It's far too offensive, too white, and too nice.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Here's the thing though: ATMs didn't replace bank tellers, and self-checks won't replace cashiers. There are still plenty of times when the cashier is necessary. And at most of the places I know of where I shop, there are maybe two or three self-checks manned by one employee and plenty of regular lanes. And when it gets busy, every human cashier right down to the person at floral and the gals at Starbucks are ringing people out if they can although their setups are limited without scales AND the self-checks are jumping AND there are long lines at every spot.

I'm not talking about Walmart which is a different animal altogether, but then again, I only shop there when circumstances force me to it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join