It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scum of Self-Checkouts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

find an ice cream shop and buy a cone. give it to the first little kid you see. take a moment to appreciate the look on their face, and acknowledge the role you played in that. feel the power you have to make someone smile and realize how important that is, because smiles are contagious.

Seriously? In this day and age? If you give a random kid an ice cream you'd be suspected of grooming. In an ideal world it's a nice thought, but not in this one, not a good tip to offer in these cynical times, TzarChasm.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

This is the RANT FORUM! This is exactly what this forum is for!

Also now a days handing a random kid a cone could probably get you labeled a pedophile and or arrested.

Their rant is valid! I hate slow people in self checkout.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

What I keep thinking is that the price of labor at the register is built into product prices and mark-ups..

But somehow grocery stores have convinced us to do that job for them ourselves through self-checkout.

Yet we see no discount in price?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

It's a fair point, but you have to take account the cost of purchase, support, and upgrades for the hardware. I think the gear is just starting to be economically viable, so it's not yet reasonable to expect a price drop just yet.

The other factor is... well, greed. If you can get away with it, you will.

Something I was toying with was a tax on automation. So if we would be wise to setup policy to disincentive outsourcing labor. Why not the same for losing labor to automation? I think the tax should be weighed slightly less than it's difference between a human laborer, so that the increased efficiency can be used as a social good, but still be worth it for corporations to make the switch.

This works within the current system to leverage tech increases towards societies benefit.
edit on 14-8-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Indigo5

Something I was toying with was a tax on automation. So if we would be wise to setup policy to disincentive outsourcing labor. Why not the same for losing labor to automation?

Interesting and I think this relates to greed.

Meaning that a tax on automation would not be necessary to offset the unemployment automation brings if the price and cost to consumers dropped significantly...and there is a lot of automation coming with AI and robotics.

If corporations get away with preserving their margins despite the savings and no cost savings are passed on to consumers than we have the public earning less, higher unemployment and cost of living staying the same.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join