It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate flags filmed being stolen, destroyed in new social media challenge

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

I was born and raised in the south. I have never owned nor flown nor really cared too much for the Confederate flag. Not that Im offended by it or I think its anything other than a flag, its just not my thing. But, trespassing, theft, destruction of private property are all criminal offenses. And in some states you can and will be shot for those crimes. It wont be long before someone ends up shot or dead and then its going to be about race. Im seriously disappointed in things people do these days.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

It's already starting. Apparently freedom of speech only applies to one side .

Freedom of speech has NOTHING to do with theft and/or destruction of private property.

The 1st Amendment only guarantees that CONGRESS shall make no laws restricting freedom of speech, and the 14th expands that guarantee to the STATES. It has nothing to do with private individuals or private property or private media. I am getting really tired of people misrepresenting this simple fact.

That said, this flag theft business is stupid, dangerous, and self-destructive.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa

It's already starting. Apparently freedom of speech only applies to one side .

Freedom of speech has NOTHING to do with theft and/or destruction of private property.

The 1st Amendment only guarantees that CONGRESS shall make no laws restricting freedom of speech, and the 14th expands that guarantee to the STATES. It has nothing to do with private individuals or private property or private media. I am getting really tired of people misrepresenting this simple fact.

That said, this flag theft business is stupid, dangerous, and self-destructive.

Ya think????

Edit;

I don't want you to take that reply wrong. That's pretty much been my onion in my entire life. I don't care whether someone says something I like or not but I will support the right to say it no matter how distasteful I find it .
edit on 15-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Were are all the people screaming about destroying private property? Trespassing?

Well, yours was post number 7 (including the OP). Posts numbers 1 (OP), 4 (SubTruth), and 6 (KrazySh0t) all directly addressed your question. Post number 2 and to a lesser extent post number 3 sort of implied it. It seems to me that you hadn't let the issue 'mature' enough yet - I'm sure there are other folks as outraged as you if you'd just give them a chance.

Do you often get outraged over a perceived lack of outrage before giving others a chance to express their own outrage? There must be some yoga or meditation you could do to help with that - I'd bet that your friends and family would be thankful for your effort.

edit on 15/7/2015 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
People are falling for this crap, hook, line and sinker. This group blames that group, that group blames this group. Fingers flying all over the place. It's sad really, that we let our beliefs straddle our intelligence.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I don't care whether someone says something I like or not but I will support the right to say it no matter how distasteful I find it .

Me either, basically. I won't tolerate hate speech, but maybe that is just me.

My remark is about people that claim that their freedom of speech is being denied because someone objects to their post on some forum (like this one), or is cut off on TV, or is shouted down at a meeting, or has their book refused by a publisher, or banned on YouTube, or whatever. In each of these cases, there is no freedom of speech expressed or implied at any time on any of these private environments and for folks to claim some infringement of that right just exposes their ignorance (and raises my irritation level of course).

The Government is in no way preventing them from showing their support for treason, slavery, and racism in anyway they want, including flying that stupid piece of cloth or any other artwork, as long as it doesn't actually interfere with anyone else's property and freedom to live. Conversely, the Government has no business encouraging or supporting such a display either - the Government is, and must remain, neutral on that specific topic (to the extent that it doesn't infringe someone else's rights, as I said).

There are, however, laws, and rightly so, against trespass and destruction of property. The people attacking those homeowners private art 'collections' are stupid and engaging in criminal behavior. They are not engaging in 'protected' free speech. It is not a freedom of speech issue, it is trespass, theft, vandalism.

Your post seemed to indicate that the vandals were expressing a free speech that was being denied to the homeowners. That is a false assertion. The vandals were expressing nothing but their own ignorance and criminality.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa

I don't care whether someone says something I like or not but I will support the right to say it no matter how distasteful I find it .

Me either, basically. I won't tolerate hate speech, but maybe that is just me.

My remark is about people that claim that their freedom of speech is being denied because someone objects to their post on some forum (like this one), or is cut off on TV, or is shouted down at a meeting, or has their book refused by a publisher, or banned on YouTube, or whatever. In each of these cases, there is no freedom of speech expressed or implied at any time on any of these private environments and for folks to claim some infringement of that right just exposes their ignorance (and raises my irritation level of course).

The Government is in no way preventing them from showing their support for treason, slavery, and racism in anyway they want, including flying that stupid piece of cloth or any other artwork, as long as it doesn't actually interfere with anyone else's property and freedom to live. Conversely, the Government has no business encouraging or supporting such a display either - the Government is, and must remain, neutral on that specific topic (to the extent that it doesn't infringe someone else's rights, as I said).

There are, however, laws, and rightly so, against trespass and destruction of property. The people attacking those homeowners private art 'collections' are stupid and engaging in criminal behavior. They are not engaging in 'protected' free speech. It is not a freedom of speech issue, it is trespass, theft, vandalism.

Your post seemed to indicate that the vandals were expressing a free speech that was being denied to the homeowners. That is a false assertion. The vandals were expressing nothing but their own ignorance and criminality.

If that is your opinion you completely miss judged my post .

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

wow!
the foolishness of people never ceases to surprise me.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Someone needs to issue a social media challenge about stealing planned parenthoods.( since it's socially acceptable to steal things someone doesn't lke)..

Since it appears that some people don't like things with racist histories.'

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Oh well. Sounds like one or two people are going to win a Darwin Award.

I was thinking of how they would feel after collecting a load of rock salt from a 12 gauge.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Sounds like a 'muck-up day' prank. Kids will be kids.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexJowls

The cauldron is doing a slow boil, soon it will be bubbling.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlexJowls
Sounds like a 'muck-up day' prank. Kids will be kids.

Actually it is progressives will be idealists. In a progressives mind stealing is justified because this flag is against the agenda they are pushing. Imagine gay pride flags being ripped down across the country......Progressives would be crying a river of tolerance tears. But because this is something they are against it is justified away using progressive logic which is flawed at it's moral core.
edit on 16-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think what's happening is they are confusing civil disobedience principles by using it against private parties.

It is inherently non violent, so let's keep some perspective. imo, it doesn't do anything credit their "movement", it should embarrass truly civil-minded people and actually turn people off from their "cause".

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I think what's happening is they are confusing civil disobedience principles by using it against private parties.

It is inherently non violent, so let's keep some perspective. imo, it doesn't do anything credit their "movement", it should embarrass truly civil-minded people and actually turn people off from their "cause".

Or their idealism is causing justification of these acts because it fits into their personal ideals and agendas. It reminds me of riots in a way........They justify criminal acts because of some perceived wrong or injustice.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
...however minor.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The confederate naval jack is a symbol, some people really do have a strong belief that it is about heritage and represents the cultures of days gone by where states actually had rights apart from big government and really were separate entities, just as some people believe in the USA flag represents freedom, what concerns me is the fact that what is going on now, is the idea that freedom of speech is whats really under attack and not the confederate symbol and what it means to various people.

Just as other countries fly their flag, it is a means of silently expressing a personal belief and can be shared with others, while those that reject it in this way, despite the various meanings behind it, seems to be a means of abolishing it and all of those beliefs from the nations history.

A good thing to do is fly only two flags in a particular state, that states personal flag for obvious reasons, and the USA flag as a means to represent the agreed upon union from day one and not as a means of representing big government.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Are you guys nuts? You can't shoot someone for stealing a flag. Your life isn't in danger from that act, that's not only crazy its murder.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
Most progressives are hypocrites .

If people were tearing down the rainbow flag in protest over the gay marriage decision by the Supreme Court.

The same people glorifying rebel flag attacks would be outraged .

I believe you are absolutely right.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join