It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate flags filmed being stolen, destroyed in new social media challenge

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: XTexan Its a #ing flag!? Why the outcry and bull# its a #ing flag. Maybe they should ban boats, since thats what transported the slaves. btw I'm not American, and I don't need to be to see how stupid this whole thing is. They want you to hate each other and start something bad, dont fall for it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yeah 3. Maybe a couple more since I made that post... considering the topic is the #noflaggingchallenge and not defacing the confederate trash littering public grounds.

If by Confederate "trash" do you mean men like Robert E Lee, Nathan Bedford Forrest and Jefferson Davis? Those men were patriots, honorable and not deserving of such snide remarks. Their courage and commitment stand as testament to what men can achieve under difficult circumstances. Those men were great Americans in every sense of the word.

It's easy to sit here in our modern world and pass moral judgment on people from long ago but since your on the bandwagon you may as well put George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and US Grant on your list along with every Asian and Middle Eastern figure of historical note going back to the beginnings of civilization.

Are you going to call every Pharaoh, most African tribes and Arab Nations "trash" as well? How about Jesus? Israel had plenty of slaves. It would only be fair given your standard of slavery being accepted in their particular culture at the time. FTR Saudi Arabia didn't outlaw slavery until 1962 - a full century after the Civil War.

People cannot control the time and place of their birth. Had you been born in that society and time your views would no doubt be very similar to the very people you seem to take such delight in mocking. Empathy works for understanding history as well. Not all life is as cut and dry/good and evil as some would like to think it is.

BS that wasnt the confederate flag until the dixiecrats waved it, before that it was the navy jack or the generals emblem not the whole of the confederate states.
edit on 17-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I condemn it because it is still respected and idolized today. I respect history, just not people who mourn those days and turn what we now know as monstrous into heroism. I'm just as entitled to do so as you are to do the latter.

People dead and gone cannot come back with new understanding and change the horrible things they did because they didn't know better. People living today know that there's no excuse for thinking one human is lesser than another based on their grouping and choose to do so anyway. That I will disparage, why you find that offensive is beyond me.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

it seems to me that while we bicker over trivial matters like the flag, the heat gets removed from the government.

If i were running the government, id sure try to keep folks bickering over the same old same old for as long as possible.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

A lot of people seem convinced that people, namely people that take issues with symbolism, are entirely one dimensional. I suppose some of us are. But from my perspective that's not true at all. My window shows me a fight about equal justice and equal representation. I think only the most ignorant among us could claim that justice is blind and that elected representation doesn't mostly ignore minority groups on top of all the dog whistling they do when they have the mic or the spotlight falls on them.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

This is a pervasive problem among more than just the people tired of people complaining about symbolism. It seems whenever there is an issue occurring in the public domain, there is some person who doesn't like the discussion or doesn't want to hear about it anymore. They get frustrated and say something along the lines of, "well while we are bickering over this, such and such is going through untouched." "Such and such" is usually a topic THAT person is interested about though. Here's the thing, no ONE is truly one dimensional, and we all have opinions on a great many things. Just because we aren't talking about the one thing at the moment doesn't mean we've forgotten about it or it is unimportant to us though.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Exactly so, I should have expanded to "topic du jour" lol. You made me think of something else too... a lot of people also trivialize issues by saying things like no one cared about ____ before ____ made it trend. Obviously not true either. Social issues get talked about in waves on social media because things that trigger debates about them keep happening.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I don't really care about the flag. Where I grew up it has in fact been used by racists to announce their racism. Usually on a flag pole attached to a truck as they drive around. White males in their 20's. Angry and or ignorant (living in northern CA). I wouldn't mind if every racist wore a confederate flag T-shirt and flew the flag in front of their home. We'd know where they stand. Same with NAZI's.

The thought that we can stamp out racism by banning a flag is silly. I don't think the flag should be on gov buildings and such but private citizens should be left to their own devices. Like when we allow the KKK to hold rallies. When we allow Neo NAZI's to march in the streets. It doesn't mean we agree with it and plenty of people show up to protest when it happens. It usually looks like a Jerry Springer episode. On both sides. Reality is absurd.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JeanPaul
I don't really care about the flag. Where I grew up it has in fact been used by racists to announce their racism. Usually on a flag pole attached to a truck as they drive around. White males in their 20's. Angry and or ignorant (living in northern CA). I wouldn't mind if every racist wore a confederate flag T-shirt and flew the flag in front of their home. We'd know where they stand. Same with NAZI's.

The thought that we can stamp out racism by banning a flag is silly. I don't think the flag should be on gov buildings and such but private citizens should be left to their own devices. Like when we allow the KKK to hold rallies. When we allow Neo NAZI's to march in the streets. It doesn't mean we agree with it and plenty of people show up to protest when it happens. It usually looks like a Jerry Springer episode. On both sides. Reality is absurd.

The thing is now people are trying to say the confederate flag doesnt represent racism, slavery, dehumanization , and oppression.

People are manufacturing thier own history for the flag and saying it doesnt mean what it has always meant.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

A lot of people seem convinced that people, namely people that take issues with symbolism, are entirely one dimensional. I suppose some of us are. But from my perspective that's not true at all. My window shows me a fight about equal justice and equal representation. I think only the most ignorant among us could claim that justice is blind and that elected representation doesn't mostly ignore minority groups on top of all the dog whistling they do when they have the mic or the spotlight falls on them.

Yet when I do some basic analysis of topics on ATS, even with just a cursory view, it sure looks one dimensional to me.

I heard it said (several times) over recent weeks: Please...a bigfoot story....a ufo story....anything but gay wedding cakes (or whatever social issue is en vogue that day)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Oh, I agree. Seems like it is perfectly acceptable to stereotype white southern people.
I'd wonder if it would still be happening if more of them were liberals.

Funny isn't always humorous. Sometimes it is more like that funny feeling you get in your stomach before you just want to puke. That's what I mean - something's not right.

I think there's censorship going on, and manipulation. If it is true that a black man set up that flat rally in Oklahoma to be in Obama's face, that's the sort of thing we need to be thinking about. It seems like a political set up to me.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

meaning of the alabama flag's meaning never changed just the dumb asses holding it. The CONFEDERATE FLAG with a huge field of WHITE was SPECIFICALLY STATED to be racist though.

Original meaning of the "alabama" flag was the red was the blood of the corageous. the Blue crossed bars stood for cross us out of your country,and the white stars represented the colonies/states in the south.

Of course the KKK and dixicrats didnt know their meaning of the flag and then the rest of the sheeple not knowing hos to actually think for themselves believed the news and Government when they claimed its meaning was the same as the flag with the huge WHITE FIELD.

Of course Some here are to emotional to think clearly and even with proof just dismisses it as lies and propaganda when the Government is using this as a way to sneak things through.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

So because some people social issue oriented that makes them one dimensional? Even though we talk about more than one thing, for instance you reference gay wedding cakes but this thread is about some idiots that failed to make a social media challenge go viral, but it still caused the hashtag to trend, yet still others in the thread want to talk about using authoritarian tactics to eradicate hate and others want to defend the rebel rag, others the confederates themselves. How many facets are we up to now?

ETA: And on a personal note, on ATS alone... I'm in three different topics right now. Off the internet, I've had discussions with my mother and a cousin about different social issues and politics. Tonight I'm going out dancing, tomorrow is boyfriend time... but somehow I'm one dimensional?
edit on 7/17/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Yea, they are both ways to deflect from a topic from people who don't want to discuss it, don't think it is that important, or feel uncomfortable talking about it because it exposes some characteristic about them.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

meaning of the alabama flag's meaning never changed just the dumb asses holding it. The CONFEDERATE FLAG with a huge field of WHITE was SPECIFICALLY STATED to be racist though.

Original meaning of the "alabama" flag was the red was the blood of the corageous. the Blue crossed bars stood for cross us out of your country,and the white stars represented the colonies/states in the south.

Of course the KKK and dixicrats didnt know their meaning of the flag and then the rest of the sheeple not knowing hos to actually think for themselves believed the news and Government when they claimed its meaning was the same as the flag with the huge WHITE FIELD.

Of course Some here are to emotional to think clearly and even with proof just dismisses it as lies and propaganda when the Government is using this as a way to sneak things through.

I agree at least you accept that the history of the navy jack and the actual confederate flag is different, one does represent slavery, while the other represents pro segregation. Two different flags two meanings both with a negative connotation to them, better to just make a new flag to represent southern pride, without the slavery and racism.

The dixiecrats did it why cant people these days just do it too! Flags change all the time, just look at the American flag, it isnt what it started as! Start a movement in a positive direction that all people can agree with, I assure you people arent going to like the history of the navy jack at all if they look into it after 1948. . . . . . .

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Kali, we should be clear: i don't attack the player. I attack the ball. So whether you are or are not one dimensional is something I haven't even thought about, let alone formed an opinion on. My statements regard my personal opinion based on my own observations.

And what I see is a nation in financial turmoil, with a shaky employment base, a rotting dollar, and a world ready to strangle each of us because of our runaway train of a government.

Gay wedding cakes, confederate flags, and Bruce Jenner are not solutions to any of those issues.

When people talk about "divide and conquer"...this is what they mean.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Gay wedding cakes, confederate flags, and Bruce Jenner are not solutions to any of those issues.

Good point. Imagine a gake, made from Bruce Jenner and decorated with a Confederate flag?

I would be so damn distracted the 10th Mountain Division could kick my front door down and I would not even pay them any mind.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Kali, we should be clear: i don't attack the player. I attack the ball. So whether you are or are not one dimensional is something I haven't even thought about, let alone formed an opinion on. My statements regard my personal opinion based on my own observations.

And what I see is a nation in financial turmoil, with a shaky employment base, a rotting dollar, and a world ready to strangle each of us because of our runaway train of a government.

When people talk about "divide and conquer"...this is what they mean.

I agree 100% with your post. Its divide and then divide more. What will bring people together?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I actually agree. I just wish the dummies who "perverted" the actual meaning of the alabama flag were around so i could ask them why they did such a dis service to their ancestors. Im sure some of them are rolling in their graves.

Now th echallenge is how to recreate the alabama flag as one of inclusion but pay memory to th eolder design. Maybe a US flag backround with a blue x and rainbow stars. 50 of them in the blue bars.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

I agree 100% with your post. Its divide and then divide more. What will bring people together?

Tolerance.

Respect of other people's beliefs, views and expressions.

Whether others agree with it or not.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join