It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate flags filmed being stolen, destroyed in new social media challenge

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Do you recall the words "In order to form a more perfect Union"? Just as humans are flawed it goes without saying their societies are as well. While hopefully we make progress and better ourselves on a personal level so too should we collectively.

Nobody is saying the people of the Confederacy were perfect (except maybe Marse Robert, the marble man). Yes, slavery was a great flaw in American society. The only reason this argument is even arising is because the South was forced to change at the point of a gun.

Had Native Americans enjoyed the same treatment there would be many more of them around today. As a Nation we continued our collective genocide and removal of the American Indian tribes for nearly another 50 years. The fact that it took until 1964 for Black Americans to receive equal rights was far from the being the fault alone of the Southern people. Just as many in the North did not want integration or equal rights. Several Presidents intervened and forced the issue along.

Our progress on human rights in this country has been painfully slow in coming. We should be proud of our collective achievements as a Nation, however singling out any particular group of Americans as being the sole stumbling block on the way to equal rights for all is far from being the truth nor is it even necessary. We moved on which is great, but right or wrong we accept all of our history as being flawed in some fashion. The Confederacy was just one more flawed step in the road to progress. We cannot survive as a Nation self-loathing over the events of the last 200 years. Hatred of who they were is lost on those already dead but rings loudly in those alive today.

The Civil War was commonly referred to as a "Rich man's war and a poor man's fight". That still rings true today as Congress sends our young men and women off to die in unpopular wars. Will our descendants condemn us for failing to stop those wars? How they will view us in the future is our hands right now.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I didn't think you were attacking me and I wasn't responding to just your words but the assumption of one dimensionality by many. Equality matters as much as economics and the two do converge at multiple points.

(post by SheopleNation removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't disagree with that once bit. TBH, having to discuss equality is asinine. It should go without saying. "Equal protection under the law". "All men are created equal". So on and so forth.

But right now the house is on fire. So there really isn't time to argue over the color of the drapes.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

I agree 100% with your post. Its divide and then divide more. What will bring people together?

I think there are 3 things that could do it:

- SHTF scenario where all you have to rely on is your neighbor. If they are alive.
- CME that knocks out peoples ability to access crap like Facebook, or anywhere else people kill time by making memes out of this kind of nonsense
- Focus. This is the easiest to live with....but apparently the hardest to achieve.

For now, we have so many unanswered issues that we just let move under the bridge. Fast and Furious, Mayan Jaguar, and B Barksdale are screaming for attention. If we'd just stop eating gay cake with Bruce Jenner

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree 100% with your post. Its divide and then divide more. What will bring people together?

I think there are 3 things that could do it:

- SHTF scenario where all you have to rely on is your neighbor. If they are alive.
- CME that knocks out peoples ability to access crap like Facebook, or anywhere else people kill time by making memes out of this kind of nonsense
- Focus. This is the easiest to live with....but apparently the hardest to achieve.

For now, we have so many unanswered issues that we just let move under the bridge. Fast and Furious, Mayan Jaguar, and B Barksdale are screaming for attention. If we'd just stop eating gay cake with Bruce Jenner

The STHF and CME are very likely scenarios, however i am hoping they never come to pass even though we are likely to get a solor flare or rouge nuke at some point.

However if we just can hold on for the next big thing like the internet, cell phones, computers, etc something may bridge the gap in humankind so we are able to see each other as ourselves. According to physics its all the same stuff, just we have a different perception of it, if we were somehow able to see information of ourselves and others that might bridge the gap between peoples.

But who knows, it may be all FUBAR and we may never move ahead in our lifetimes, it may be passed on to our kids which is really pathetic. .. . . . . . .

We couldnt do it so our kids will have to solve the problems we couldnt, or should I say wouldnt/refused to solve.
edit on 17-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I actually agree. I just wish the dummies who "perverted" the actual meaning of the alabama flag were around so i could ask them why they did such a dis service to their ancestors. Im sure some of them are rolling in their graves.

Now th echallenge is how to recreate the alabama flag as one of inclusion but pay memory to th eolder design. Maybe a US flag backround with a blue x and rainbow stars. 50 of them in the blue bars.

Now thats a positive step in the right direction, F the dixiecrats make your own thing, and people will follow you and stand with you.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Good lord you conservatives are unreal...hypocrites. "progressives are only for their own freedom of speech" blah blah blah the usual conservative rhetoric

You know the rhetoric...where every single problem is the liberals fault and conservatives are squeaky clean and never ever do anything wrong. Yet every damn day it's all about "NO LGBT rights! You can't have your way!"

Then if an oppressed group speaks out then it is suddenly "an attack on christianity!!! OMG halp!"

Look. Let's drop a few facts here ok? For BOTH sides

1. Your freedom of speech is intact conservatives...it was never decreased or gone. If you want to, right now, go outside and hang a confed flag you can do it any time you want. You can walk on the street right now and say that gays are the sum of the Earth and government won't stop you. Just because we speak back or even if a good amount or majority on MSM sides with LGBT rights DOES NOT MEAN you don't have the freedom of speech. Us not wanting to hear it does not mean the government is purposefully stopping you. Get over yourself. Stop being a martyr and quit whining. Look all over facebook. Anti-LGBT talk is everywhere. I haven't seen the DOD come out in force against them. I have seen the administration call for a change to the 1st

2. On the other hand...progressives...I do agree with you on marriage equality and gender equality...and well any type of equality. Problem is while I vehemently disagree with conservatives on several things (with the exception of a few ideas such as gun control and other stuff), freedom of speech MEANS freedom of speech. As in so long as someone isn't inciting violence, they have the right to their words.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
Good lord you conservatives are unreal...hypocrites. "progressives are only for their own freedom of speech" blah blah blah the usual conservative rhetoric

You know the rhetoric...where every single problem is the liberals fault and conservatives are squeaky clean and never ever do anything wrong.

Sounds a lot like the libs when Bush was in office.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: EverydayInVA

YES! thank you! And you just proved my point!

But BOTH sides want to pretend like their side NEVER does this! Nobody is ever guilty. It's ALWAYS the other side.

But both sides are too damn blind and busy blaming everyone else. It's maddening

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

If by Confederate "trash" do you mean men like Robert E Lee, Nathan Bedford Forrest and Jefferson Davis? Those men were patriots, honorable and not deserving of such snide remarks.

Those men were traitors and not deserving of such enduring honor and protection.

Their courage and commitment stand as testament to what men can achieve under difficult circumstances. Those men were great Americans in every sense of the word.

What they achieved was the economic and physical destruction of the rebelling states, the impoverishment of the citizens of those states which endures to this day, and the deaths of thousands of their followers on the alter of maintaining their privilege of owning human beings as they owned horses, dogs, and pigs, and treating them even worse.

No one can deny that those men were not brilliant men. Lee was, of course, one of the most brilliant military men the USA has ever produced. But they were all TRAITORS, every one of them. Not just traitors because now-a-days everybody who sneezes is called a traitor by internet nincompoops, but because they overtly and incontrovertibly committed the crime of treason as defined in the Constitution of the United States.

In doing so they caused enormous damage to the nation, damage which has not been repaired in the intervening 150 years - as this thread attests.

They have most certainly earned the description "trash", and should never be put in the same sentence as the words 'great Americans'.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

But if your house is burning do you save your cash stash or the other humans in the building, if given the choice?

edit on 7/17/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JeanPaul
I don't really care about the flag. Where I grew up it has in fact been used by racists to announce their racism. Usually on a flag pole attached to a truck as they drive around. White males in their 20's. Angry and or ignorant (living in northern CA). I wouldn't mind if every racist wore a confederate flag T-shirt and flew the flag in front of their home. We'd know where they stand. Same with NAZI's.

The thought that we can stamp out racism by banning a flag is silly. I don't think the flag should be on gov buildings and such but private citizens should be left to their own devices. Like when we allow the KKK to hold rallies. When we allow Neo NAZI's to march in the streets. It doesn't mean we agree with it and plenty of people show up to protest when it happens. It usually looks like a Jerry Springer episode. On both sides. Reality is absurd.

The thing is now people are trying to say the confederate flag doesnt represent racism, slavery, dehumanization , and oppression.

People are manufacturing thier own history for the flag and saying it doesnt mean what it has always meant.

I didn't care 6 months ago and I don't care now. Focusing on living wage jobs is time better spent.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
This is no different than the Boston tea party. Accept it, the flag is done. If there are murders based on the stealing and destruction of these flags they will be seen as murders and the flags will be completely banned federally. Stop needing to have your way so badly.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

You forgot one.Lincoln,and sherman were also traitors to the constitution and as such to the entire country. The states had the right to leave the union. but lincoln wanted the souths goods and services for himself and the union and not allow any to go to over seas interest. Sherman committed so many war crimes its impossible to list them all.

Honest abe my arse. More like greedy abe.Oh and dont forget his own words about a white mans superiority to the black man.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
How deliciously ironic that so many people are butthurt over someone stealing (an act against one law) a flag that at its core represents treason (an act against the entire country)...

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't see anything here relaly, except people trespassing. Progressives don't support someone tresspassing on another's property, even if they support banning the confederate flag. Their emotions about the flag do not crossover into criminal territory.

This is two things:
1) Young dolts who like to break the rules--belong in jail
2) Racist bigots who want to suggest progressives aren't any better than themselves--ignoring they're comparing young dolts to progressives

As far as my opinion about the salvery in this country preceding the civil war, I think it was just a convenient excuse to step on another person, so you can use them for cheap labor. Remove their individuality to ease the shame. It's not a huge amount different from today, except the slavery is legal and people say "We're giving them a better life." They say that ignorant that if it happened in their own country it'd be opposed. Fact is, right now, there're workers in China working for what's about $3/hour, living in housing supplied by the companies, on-call 24/7 and working very long days oftentimes 7 days/week--and hey if they jump off buildings there're nets to catch them. Their own country doesn't care either. Why should it? They're getting money and those people are generally laborers. But lets just ignore all that because we need our ipads and ipods cheap. If you ask the companies, they'll say it's cheaper to produce over there and there's more talent and lower taxes. But the elephant in the room--namely the much lower wages and substantially more aggressive working demands--are all safely swept aside just as they were when slavery in our own country was accepted. We're giving them a better life!!!

Slavery has been alive and well all these years you fools:
www.dailymail.co.uk - 'Forced to stand for 24 hours, suicide nets, toxin exposure and explosions': Inside the Chinese factories making iPads for Apple...

‘But what’s morally repugnant in one country is accepted business practices in another, and companies take advantage of that,’ the former U.S. Labor Department advisor added.

Banners in the Chengdu plant gave a warning to the 120,000 staff: ‘Work hard on the job today or work hard to find a job tomorrow’. Workers who arrived late often had to write confession letters.

‘Apple never cared about anything other than increasing product quality and decreasing production cost,’ Mr Li told the New York Times. ‘Workers’ welfare has nothing to do with their interests.’

edit on 18-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: solarjetman
How deliciously ironic that so many people are butthurt over someone stealing (an act against one law) a flag that at its core represents treason (an act against the entire country)...

Actually according to the TENTH AMENDMENT the states Could leave at any time. The traitor was Lincoln because he didnt respect the constitution.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I wonder if it's illegal to surround a Rebel flag with some punji sticks hidden in the grass. Use it as bait.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Actually according to the TENTH AMENDMENT the states Could leave at any time.

No. You are wrong.

The 10th Amendment says no such thing. Not even remotely. Not even by implication.

It just doesn't. Period.

Not in the explicit wording, not in the intention of the authors of the "Bill of Rights" after the Convention, and not in the minds of the secessionist states who attempted to justify their actions when they published their reasons for their actions.

Not one State, NOT ONE, said anything about the 10th Amendment in their Secession Declaration. NOT ONE. The 10th amendment is about what the Constitution DOESN'T say. They were all concerned with what it DID say.

Every one of them was closer to those who wrote the Constitution. They were the sons and grandsons of some of the founding fathers - some of whom may have still have been alive. They knew and were living that Constitutional crisis first hand, and not one of them thought that the 10th Amendment justified their treason or had much of anything to say about their actions.
edit on 18/7/2015 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join