It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since gay marriage, i dont see seperation of church and state

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Annee
Why would we be interested in old/past cases of God on our money?

My only interest is that AugustusMasonicus claimed that the Supreme Court had already ruled on it. I cannot find that they have, so my interest is fading fast. LOL!

I agree with everything you've said. It WILL happen. It should happen. It's just a matter of time, just as marriage equality was.

Here's a ruling by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals 1970

Ninth Circuit United States Court of Appeals ruled: It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency “In God We Trust” has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. Its use is of a patriotic or ceremonial character and bears no true resemblance to a governmental sponsorship of a religious exercise.

What? Reminds me of the lame excuses I've read why Mormons had to give up polygamy, blacks weren't equal, and gays can't marry.

God is God ---- how you phrase it doesn't matter. If it's on an official government document --- it disenfranchises every citizen that does not recognize a God. Any God.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Atheist Activist Hatches New Plan to Strike ‘In God We Trust’ From U.S. Currency — and One Liberal Site Says ‘It Might Just Work’

May 19, 2015

www.theblaze.com... -might-just-work/

Guess that sorta, sideways, fits the discussion of Separation of Church and State

edit on 12-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Lots of good discussion on here ,I've been reading the comments. Good discussion,

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Government needs to be for ALL citizens, not exclusive for God believers. Atheists do not recognize or want a 'Ceremonial' God or any God on a legal government document.

Even 'Ceremonial Deism' creates separation.

If one doesn't believe why care?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

If one doesn't believe why care?

Because of this sort of nonsense. Because of the creation of discriminatory laws based upon religious mores.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

edit on 7/12/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

so....what do you fear having it removed from our money?....can't we all rally around the phrase "E. pluribus Unum" which means "out of many, one"....this would seem to aptly define the richness and diversity of all Americans, as well as a "symbol" for America

No remove E. pluribus Unum too I don't like to be included in a group....

Well the vast majority of America is religious so why not keep it since our country is basically a religious one? For me it is more the annoying aspects of the atheist that seems to have zero tolerance and wants religion removed from everything that they might happen to see....

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Jordan River

What does legalizing gay marriage have to do with separation of church & state? They don't require religious groups to marry same sex individuals. You must have read our heard something way off base from reality somewhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

For me it is more the annoying aspects of the atheist that seems to have zero tolerance and wants religion removed from everything that they might happen to see....

I wish "missionaries" would quit coming to my door to save me. I don't care what they do in church.

But don't you think atheists are actually more interested in removing religion from government? You know, as in keeping church and state separate?
edit on 7/12/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Because of this sort of nonsense. Because of the creation of discriminatory laws based upon religious mores.

Religion is as much a part of being human as science is, it is here anyway you look at it and the vast majority of America is religious, facts of life. Maybe the Government should get completely out of the marriage business and just go with contracts. I have always though a marriage licence was way to powerful.

The Government never gives anything up even marriage and so we end up with a situation of two groups stepping on each other and it really doesn't need to be that way.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

But don't you think atheists are actually more interested in removing religion from government? You know, as in keeping church and state separate?

I think it goes deeper than that.... Most true atheist I know live and breath religion to debate it every chance they get. They spend more time thinking about religion than the average religious person does, its like an emotional issue with them... hehe

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Religion is as much a part of being human as science is, it is here anyway you look at it and the vast majority of America is religious, facts of life.
Not for me it isn't. But like I said, I don't care what people do on their own. It's when they start imposing their religious mores on others that the problem arises.

I have always though a marriage licence was way to powerful.
It's just like any other legal contract.

The Government never gives anything up even marriage and so we end up with a situation of two groups stepping on each other and it really doesn't need to be that way.
How does homosexuals getting married "step on" the rights of the religious?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

looks like it added a new definition of marriage…

studies now show that adopted by GLBTQ+ children are significantly more likely to be GLBTQ+ themselves.

don"t CHILDREN have rights and don't children deserve to be protected and raised without this bias?

yt: Are People Born Gay? Genetic and Epigenetic Determinism in Homosexuality
youtu.be...

Joseph Davis provides an overview of recent studies in genetics whose findings do not support the self-reporting deterministic claims in homosexuality. Rather, they provide evidence that there is no gene that exclusively determines homosexual sexual identity. This lecture is part of the 2014 Faith and Science Conference.

HOMOSEXUALITY_101
youtu.be...

yt: Former Homosexual Speaks Out Part 1
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
a reply to: Annee

I'm with Annee on this. The separation of church and state still exist perfectly fine. No one is forcing religions to perform same-sex marriages, and if a same-sex couple goes up to a church and demands they marry them, it is still within the church's right to refuse.

Where's the issue here?

No separation has actually ever occurred, the state and CHURCH have always been one, you just do not see or know WHICH church it is.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

But like I said, I don't care what people do on their own. It's when they start imposing their religious mores on others that the problem arises.

Phage, do you have morals? Do you have mores? Do you have any customs etc, they are based on something, maybe not religion but something. We all do, so some you agree with and some you don't, religion has little to do with it other than being one of many foundations that people build their values from.

How does homosexuals getting married "step on" the rights of the religious?

In the traditional sense marriage has been defined for an extremely long time as a religious union between a man and a woman, then the Government stepped in and made it a contract and now they redefine it, people get pissed....

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
it is the very mother-father bond transition that is often a root cause of homosexuality. How is this transition supposed to happen if the men are not around and/or the child is raised in same sex family? looks like we are setting ourselves up for an dramatic increase in homosexuality, just based on how BIOLOGY works. Why not put laws in place to protect children and educate parents? Parental roles are more than just to provide food.

-------------------------------
yt: Are People Born Gay? Genetic and Epigenetic Determinism in Homosexuality
youtu.be...

Joseph Davis provides an overview of recent studies in genetics whose findings do not support the self-reporting deterministic claims in homosexuality. Rather, they provide evidence that there is no gene that exclusively determines homosexual sexual identity. This lecture is part of the 2014 Faith and Science Conference.

HOMOSEXUALITY_101
youtu.be...

yt: Former Homosexual Speaks Out Part 1
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Phage, do you have morals? Do you have mores? Do you have any customs etc, they are based on something, maybe not religion but something.
Yes. But my morals don't get in the way of other peoples rights.

In the traditional sense marriage has been defined for an extremely long time as a religious union between a man and a woman, then the Government stepped in and made it a contract and now they redefine it, people get pissed....
Governments have sanctioned marriage for a very long time. For good reason. It hasn't been redefined. The SCOTUS decision was that it is discriminatory to create laws which prohibited homosexuals from enjoying the same benefits as heterosexuals. Yes, people got pissed. So what? Who was harmed?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I think it goes deeper than that.... Most true atheist I know live and breath religion to debate it every chance they get. They spend more time thinking about religion than the average religious person does, its like an emotional issue with them... hehe

Are you transferring. Sounds like someone desparate to defend their God belief.

No, atheists don't care about religion. They do care about religious belief infringement in government. It is our government too.

edit on 12-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You are comparing an Object to a person, and i've seen you do it before...you have your guns you are protected as a "Straight Person" assuming you are straight.

If you want to bring up the Bakery case because everyone seems to fall back on it, saying you can't bring a Gun in the store, and i wont make a cake for you because you are Gay are complete different

a Person gets denied services because he is Gay

A person is told he can't bring a gun into a Store

how is that the same?

Ignorant

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

You are so complete wrong it's actually funny, Children adopted by GLBTQ+ people are more likely to turn GLBTQ+?

so adopting a Child can change their Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity...

Just for the fun of it.. what if a Straight person adopts a GLBTQ+ Child, do they turn straight?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join