It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since gay marriage, i dont see seperation of church and state

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Since the supreme court decsion. I honestly do not see seperation of church and state. This is...or was one of the special distinction with our government.

That being said lgbt group are now a special class of citizens. How are we sappose to distinctly tell if someone is or isnt gay.

If the church shuns these people its a hate crime.

Im pretty liberal, and i find this new direction destructive, not because people are gay, but because government, citizens and america are still racist/bigot

Lets keep pissing off the ignorant people out there.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Jordan River

Your views echo four out of nine Supreme Court justices opinions .

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jordan River

That being said lgbt group are now a special class of citizens. How are we sappose to distinctly tell if someone is or isnt gay.

I believe that is Protected Class, not special class. As in a minority. Same as other protected minorities.

Equal treatment does not require you to know if someone is gay or not.

edit on 12-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

EXACTLY!!!

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We are not a protected class, in 31 states you can get fired for being GLBTQ+, you can get denied services and housing/property, because the states lack the civil rights laws, and we are not federally protected. GLBTQ+ people still have issues with adoption, Gay and Bisexual men can't donate blood, on top of all the other hate crimes, abuse and murder of GLBTQ+ people.

Do you seriously not understand that this ruling didn't "add" anything, it ruled that the states were violating the 14th amendment by not allowing same-sex marriages ...

Seriously the ignorance of people lately is outstanding

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I'm with Annee on this. The separation of church and state still exist perfectly fine. No one is forcing religions to perform same-sex marriages, and if a same-sex couple goes up to a church and demands they marry them, it is still within the church's right to refuse.

Where's the issue here?

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I honestly do not see seperation of church and state.

What do you mean? Churches are exempt from marrying gay people. How is that not separation of church and state? Give an example...

How are we sappose to distinctly tell if someone is or isnt gay.

It's really none of your business. Why do you need to know?

If the church shuns these people its a hate crime.

No it isn't. You clearly don't know the meaning of hate crime. And now I'm wondering if you know the meaning of "separation of church and state" AND if you even know the Supreme Court ruling.

The church is free to shun gay people, just as they always have. Don't worry. The church can be as exclusionary and restrictive as they've always been. The church can kick out the gays without worry of government intervention.

Lets keep pissing off the ignorant people out there.

You seem pretty pissed... And about something you are clearly ignorant about...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Cor blimey I knew the right would be pissed off about this...

I didn't know it would end up so specious in rhetoric that they'd expose themselves on a daily basis to knowing absolutely nothing.

This is great.

Edit: Specious is too kind a word. Absolutely false is better.
edit on 12-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Please explain how the ruling erases the separation between church and state, because I don't think I understand what you're saying and I don't see it clarified in the OP.

How are you supposed to know if a hetero couple is truly hetero or if it was a marriage of social acceptability?
Who cares whether knowing if someone is gay or not? Whether or not someone is gay doesn't affect your life, or mine.

As far as I know, churches themselves aren't being forced to marry gay couple, it's the STATE that is refusing, even after the SCOTUS says they are entitled.

Not sure the point of this thread either....

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I was talking to a man the other day helped him get what was needed and he went his way. Later I learned he was gay. If he returns I wont treat him any different than previously but how could i have treated him with hatred if I don't know he is gay.

Gay is not something you see on the outside like color, gender or a handicap.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

This has zero to do with religion. What in hell are you talking about?
It's not forcing churches to change anything at all.
It's changing laws . Not religion. Your church can still refuse to marry a gay couple because the religion says so. The new law doesn't say your church must marry a gay couple.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You call it 'gay marriage"
It is marriage.

'Since the supreme court decsion. I honestly do not see seperation of church and state. This is...or was one of the special distinction with our government.'

How does this decision nullify the separation of church and state. The state is not telling someone how to believe in God, just how to act as a citizen

'That being said lgbt group are now a special class of citizens. '

How does granting equal rights classify them as a 'special class of citizen?

' How are we sappose to distinctly tell if someone is or isnt gay. "
It is not our business who is gay and who is not gay. What is our business is that all citizens are granted equal rights.

'Im pretty liberal, and i find this new direction destructive, not because people are gay, but because government, citizens and america are still racist/bigot'

If you could explain this sentence It might help me understand your position more clearly. As it stands, it makes on sense to me at all.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This gay marriage bullcrap, I do not care about either...

Once again we have much bigger problems on this planet, then whether or not people who are attracted to the same sex, are happy or not..

Everyone should be allowed to marry whoever, BY LAW....

I find it a irony, that our society as a whole matures faster then the individual being part of it..

Society is going to continue to progress, whether it is excepted or not..

IN THE END our civilization will be remembered by our society...

Lets get over it and talk about the real mysteries and worries of our lives...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Specious isn't even a word never mind that it's too kind.
Suspecious perhaps? I can't even venture a guess.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Specious is a word, it means 'apparently good or right though lacking real merit; superficially pleasing or plausible'.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
We are not a protected class, in 31 states you can get fired for being GLBTQ+,

Civil Service Reform Act

The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (CSRA), as amended, also protects federal government applicants and employees from discrimination in personnel actions (see "Prohibited Personnel Practices" www.opm.gov...) based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, or on conduct which does not adversely affect the performance of the applicant or employee -- which can include sexual orientation or transgender (gender identity) status. The Office of Special Counsel (OSC), www.osc.gov, and the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), www.mspb.gov, enforce the prohibitions against federal employment discrimination codified in the CSRA. For more information, see OPM's Addressing Sexual Orientation Discrimination in Federal Civilian Employment at www.opm.gov/er/address2/guide01.htm, OPM's Guidance Regarding the Employment of Transgender Individuals in the Federal Workplace at www.opm.gov/diversity/Transgender/Guidance.asp, and OSC's Prohibited Personnel Practices and How to File a Complaint at www.osc.gov...

Executive Orders

Additionally, federal agencies retain procedures for making complaints of discrimination on any bases prohibited by Executive Orders reviewed below. For example, some lesbian, gay, and bisexual employees may file complaints under both the agency's Executive Order complaint process (for sexual orientation discrimination) and 1614 process (for sex discrimination), as these are separate processes.

Executive Order 11478, section 1 (as amended by Executive Orders 13087 and 13152) provides:

It is the policy of the government of the United States to provide equal opportunity in federal employment for all persons, to prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, age, sexual orientation or status as a parent, and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a continuing affirmative program in each executive department and agency. This policy of equal opportunity applies to and must be an integral part of every aspect of personnel policy and practice in the employment, development, advancement, and treatment of civilian employees of the federal government, to the extent permitted by law.
Executive Order 13152 states that "status as a parent" refers to the status of an individual who, with respect to an individual who is under the age of 18 or who is 18 or older but is incapable of self-care because of a physical or mental disability, is: a biological parent, an adoptive parent, a foster parent, a stepparent, a custodian of a legal ward, in loco parentis over such individual, or actively seeking legal custody or adoption of such an individual. The Executive Order authorized OPM to develop guidance on the provisions of the Order.

you can get denied services and housing/property, because the states lack the civil rights laws, and we are not federally protected. GLBTQ+ people still have issues with adoption.

The Fair Housing Act does not specifically include sexual orientation and gender identity as prohibited bases. However, a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) person's experience with sexual orientation or gender identity housing discrimination may still be covered by the Fair Housing Act. In addition, housing providers that receive HUD funding, have loans insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), as well as lenders insured by FHA, may be subject to HUD program regulations intended to ensure equal access of LGBT

Gay and Bisexual men can't donate blood,

This has to do with the higher risk of sexually transmitted diseases with these groups and not being gay. Hell they do not want my blood either since I traveled all over the world into some rather nasty areas.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

It's changing laws . Not religion. Your church can still refuse to marry a gay couple because the religion says so. The new law doesn't say your church must marry a gay couple.

It's not really changing laws.

The SCOTUS decision determined Marriage Equality is guaranteed by the 14th ammendment.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Not everyone is a federal employee.

Yes Federal Employees that are LGBTQ are protected.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Not everyone is a federal employee.

Yes Federal Employees that are LGBTQ are protected.

It might be Washington state, but I can not hire or fire based on sexual orientation, a future employer can't even ask, so it is protected here.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That is for Federal Employees, they are protected from discrimination..

The 31 states i mentioned don't have any Anti-Discrimination laws for GLBTQ+, so it's technically legal to discriminate and deny services

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join