It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jenny Horne's Tearful Confederate Flag Speech Shakes South Carolina Statehouse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

When Jenny Horne stepped up to the podium to address South Carolina's House of Representatives, her first words let on that she was fed up. Just not how fed up.

Of the words stirred by passion in the debate that eventually led lawmakers to vote to remove the Confederate battle flag from the State House grounds, hers would burn themselves into memory.

Horne started out with a calm complaint.

"We are going to be doing this all summer long," she said after stepping up to the microphone, referring to a stream of amendments that the flag's supporters were adding to the bill and effectively delaying a vote.
www.cnn.com...

Very inspiring speech by this descendent of a confederate hero seems to have carried the day in the debate on removing the flag

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

White guilt is strong in her................Take a good hard look and ask yourself a serious question.....WHY. The economy and job market as a whole are both crumbling apart. But the common man would rather talk about some stupid flag that really means nothing from a war fought 2 centuries ago. Get over it and move on with making yourself better and holding the people we elect accountable.

Are Americans so gullible they fall for every little diversion put in front of them like a 1 year old?
edit on 9-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: SubTruth

Nice........What this progressive pushing faker should be crying about is the sad state of the economy. Really guys the economy is having huge issues and this actually effects people. What I see is a woman who wanted her 10 minutes in the spotlight and in reality could care less. Progressives flap in the wind and if the direction would be blowing the other way she would be saying nothing.

I can prove what I am saying remember all the anti-war protestors under Bush.......Once Obama gained power all of a sudden the war was justified........Flapping in the wind just like a flag in the breeze.........Oh that was a good one. One last point.....If she actually cared why did this tearful fake speech take so long........Why now.......Do not be a fool and fall for this.
edit on 9-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
My thoughts exactly. At least the "informed" should realize this flag thing is orchestrated to turn everyones attention to petty b######t while our so called leaders quietly take our freedoms away.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

And here we have all the closet racists arriving to rant about how meaningless this is, from their white priveliged point of view...

It's good to see an American politician actually passionate about something affecting her fellow citizens.

This is what your elected are SUPPOSED to do, representing the people of their area, the people who elected them. All those claiming there are bigger issues are really only saying "this is meaningless to me, as a white Republican male, so it shouldn't be discussed at all".

No wonder America is still so f-ed up, every attempt to move anything forward in your country is met with partisan resistance, backward attitudes, conservative nonsense, Bible-thumping, constitution-waving... the rest of the world looks at your country and wonders how the hell you became so-called "world leaders" in anything when so many in your country are so desperate to take you back to some imagined "good old days" that never existed.
edit on 9-7-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The word is control. Absolute , verified , total control . If I dont have the same feelings or beliefs as you , then I must be wrong. I should "conform" with what you believe. After all , you cannot be wrong , ever.....

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The word is control. Absolute , verified , total control . If I dont have the same feelings or beliefs as you , then I must be wrong. I should "conform" with what you believe. After all , you cannot be wrong , ever.....

The thing is, she's not wrong.

Are you denying that this flag is in fact a symbol of hate, ignorance and intolerance for a large number of people who are supposed to be represented by that regional government?

If you claim that, you are clearly wrong.

That's exactly what it represents, and that's exactly why it needs to be removed from those grounds. This should not even be a debate. If you are elected, you have a DUTY to represent your people, not some of them, ALL OF THEM.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
Are Americans so gullible they fall for every little diversion put in front of them like a 1 year old?

Hell yeah they are. I think that's been proven without a doubt to be had throughout this pissing and whining exercise.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
If you are elected, you have a DUTY to represent your people, not some of them, ALL OF THEM.

How does that decision represent the people who did not want to see the flag brought down?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Just to clear it up:

Somebody doesn't think the flag is that big of a deal, it's because they're secretly racist and have white privilege?

So...what about one of my good buddies that doesn't seem to think it's nearly as big a deal as people want it to be? And has gone so far as to slap a battle flag patch onto his vest?

Side note: he's as black as a black cat in a coal bin on a moonless night.

But no, he must be racist and feeling his white privilege, I guess.

How progressive it is to trot at the race card and privilege card at the first sign of dissent.

edit on 9-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Typo

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

To be honest, I'm white. I never liked that Flag.

We all know what it stood for. It was never my flag.

It should of been put in a museum. Let them fly it on Private Property.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The fact remains that it's a free country. Telling a large group of people they can't display a symbol of this country's past, for better or worse is going to produce the opposite effect. Which is why if you live in the south, you're seeing more rebel flags than ever in the past few weeks. It's become nothing but a damn lightening rod of distraction from far more important issues.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

To be honest, I'm white. I never liked that Flag.

It should of been put in a museum. Let them fly it on Private Property.

My thoughts as well.

Don't care if you want to fly it on your property or person. Just get it off our buildings.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder about the priorities of the political crap in this nation, the scapegoat today is the confederate flag, because it stirs the emotions of the oppress class in the nation

And we know that the purpose of stirring those sentiments and emotions in the oppressed class and removing the flag will made them feel that somebody cares.

Yes, the flag is at fault for the state of the economy, for the lack of employment, for the growing welfare class and racism will be erased out of history.

Keep dreaming oppressed class, you will still be the victims of class division, because fighting to remove a flag is not what is going to fix the problems of oppression, neither is going to take you out of the slumps, I guess people tend to feel that erasing history is the cure to their problems.

At the end the confederate flag Is just that a flag. people have been played on.
edit on 9-7-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

In all fairness, flags mean different things to different people. The symbol of what it means to individuals is subjective and will vary. The vast majority of people who fly the Confederate flag probably don't want to bring back slavery. That is just a guess though.
edit on 9-7-2015 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Regardless of what one thinks of the flag, what this woman did took strength and courage and conviction... not so much because of the public response, but that of her own family. As the great-great-granddaughter of a Confederate Army officer and so-called "hero," I can almost guarantee that she will be condemned, vilified and ostracized by at least some members of her family for taking this position. I tip my hat to her for taking a very proud and public stand that may very well haunt her the rest of her life.

White guilt? Not at all. Just the strength of her convictions and the moral fortitude to stand loud and proud.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Just to clear it up:

Somebody doesn't think the flag is that big of a deal, it's because they're secretly racist and have white privilege?

So...what about one of my good buddies that doesn't seem to think it's nearly as big a deal as people want it to be? And has gone so far as to slap a battle flag patch onto his vest?

Side note: he's as black as a black cat in a coal bin on a moonless night.

But no, he must be racist and feeling his white privilege, I guess.

How progressive it is to trot at the race card and privilege card at the first sign of dissent.

The majority of people who think it's racist are those who don't use it. Many consider it heritage but many more see it as more of a symbol of defiance--an "F-U" against authority and all this kerfuffle will do is encourage more flying of it because those who defy authority will do the opposite of what you demand to them.

AS for Ms Horne:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious

In all fairness, flags mean different things to different people. The symbol of what it means to individuals is subjective and will vary. The vast majority of people who fly the Confederate flag probably don't want to bring back slavery. That is just a guess though.

Maybe my statement was too broad. The Flag seemed to represent Southern Pride.

I'm OK flying that Flag on any Private Property. When I see it on a State building.

It makes me feel like it doesn't belong. However, I never asked for it to be removed.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I careless what flies in the nations or state buildings or what is displayed be religious, political, national or else.Because I had better things to do than feeling victimized and offended by anything.

A symbol just that a symbol that for some means different than for others, as with any symbol people seems to be enamored to them, including and comes to mind things like religion and displays of religious symbols in state and Federal properties, national symbols like the American flag, pagan symbols like many that decorate many historical buildings in the nation and the list goes on and on, when should we stop? perhaps when all symbolism is erased from the grounds, minds and harts of the American people.

Yes erasing history and rewriting history is to become the norm in America this days so we don't offend with anything those that decide that they want to be offended by something or anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join