It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jenny Horne's Tearful Confederate Flag Speech Shakes South Carolina Statehouse

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The word is control. Absolute , verified , total control . If I dont have the same feelings or beliefs as you , then I must be wrong. I should "conform" with what you believe. After all , you cannot be wrong , ever.....

THIS!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
She went against the grain and from the heart. I love it

The confederate flag is and always has been a symbol and an ideology of white supremacy over inferior races. That's hatred. I can wave any flag under the sun and claim to see it only from my point of view, pride, and heritage but if the history of that flag is evil.....then the history of the flag is evil. Get the flag off of our buildings and let us step forward to a new future together.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
And nothing is going to change in the way the people making the big deal of it act.

At least a group can claim Mission Accomplished and find a new cause.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It's too be expected. If you're gonna waste your time following the MSM and politicians this is what's going to happen. Rarely do they ever focus on the real problems and the problems behind the problems.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: Rocker2013

To be honest, I'm white. I never liked that Flag.

We all know what it stood for. It was never my flag.

It should of been put in a museum. Let them fly it on Private Property.

My thoughts as well.

Don't care if you want to fly it on your property or person. Just get it off our buildings.

Along with the UN flag the rainbow and any other flag that does not belong on government buildings.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
If its about banning something that brings about hard feelings, bad memories and is a symbol of hatred........

.........Why havent they banned the Nazi flag?

....oh right....wrong agenda, my apologies

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It's the new trend.

Whine a lot and even shed a tear or two then talk in front of what society deems as 'important people' and voila you'll get your way, just like magic.

I wonder how many more people hired by the liberal gov't will stand up and throw out more arrows to the tune of 'I find it OFFENSIVE therefore get rid of it'.

Crazy Crazy Crazy x 100,000,000,000

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
If its about banning something that brings about hard feelings, bad memories and is a symbol of hatred........

Does Germany still fly the Nazi flay on it government buildings?
Does Japan still fly the rising sun flag on government buildings?

The answer is no.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Where’s you peoples souls…your hearts…where’s your capacity to love, to understand, to empathize with the downtrodden of history.

It’s unfortunate, I wanted people to read this thread to feel the emotional and spiritual message that this fine lady conveyed to the hearts and spirits of America.

As for this flag:

They put that flag up in 1961 in response to civil rights gains as an affront to the suffering and righteous cause of black Americans who in many cases weren’t even allowed to vote. Had to sit on the back of buses behind white people. Drink from separate water fountains. Weren’t allowed to go to Southern colleges. Not to mention the thousands of black people who were lynched over the years.

That flag was a symbol to them at that time and still to many of that oppression

If people are so dense, so jaded, they cant understand that then God help us for WE ARE DOOMED!

edit on 9-7-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

[sarcasm]your white guilt is killing me you bleeding heart liberal!!!! that was a long time ago and those people should get over it already!!![/sarcasm]

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: Helious
a reply to: whyamIhere

We all know what it stood for. It was never my flag.

In all fairness, flags mean different things to different people. The symbol of what it means to individuals is subjective and will vary. The vast majority of people who fly the Confederate flag probably don't want to bring back slavery. That is just a guess though.

Maybe my statement was too broad. The Flag seemed to represent Southern Pride.

I'm OK flying that Flag on any Private Property. When I see it on a State building.

It makes me feel like it doesn't belong. However, I never asked for it to be removed.

Agreed.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Rocker2013
If you are elected, you have a DUTY to represent your people, not some of them, ALL OF THEM.

How does that decision represent the people who did not want to see the flag brought down?

Their lives are not changed one bit by the removal of that flag.
Their rights are not infringed upon, their freedoms not damaged, their representation not threatened...

Removal of that flag to a museum changes nothing for those who want that symbol to remain.
Leaving it in place actively promotes hostility and symbolizes ignorance and hate to millions of people.
Leaving it there tells millions of people that their government supports hate symbols more than it supports millions of citizens.

It's a no-brainer - quite literally.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Okay, now you're just being deliberately dense, like a lot of other commenters here.

This is not about banning a flag, you know that, I know that, we all know that.
This is about REMOVING THAT FLAG FROM THE STATE GROUNDS.

You get the difference now, or do I need to write a 1000 word essay on what you are clearly choosing to deliberately ignore?

This is an elected government, its duty is to represent ALL citizens in the operation of the state and the creation of laws. The people entering those grounds have one responsibility - to REPRESENT their people.

This flag represents oppression, ignorance, hatred and violence to millions of those people. It sucks if you don't like that association, but you can thank all the many red neck racists over the years who have adopted that symbol as a form of abuse toward others.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
So are they going to go after the Graves also?

Confederate soldiers buried in state and federal cemeteries?

Some are marked with csa, other the Virginia battle flag... Where does the line get drawn?

Beyond the fact this is a distraction, the crux of my beef is where does the witch hunt stop?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: GUITARPLAYER

The answer is no.

Except, as I learned yesterday evening, this flag was not on a government building but at a confederate dead memorial near the building. Does that make a difference?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Except, as I learned yesterday evening, this flag was not on a government building but at a confederate dead memorial near the building. Does that make a difference?

It made absolutely no difference to blacks in SC who care about the issue.

They know the reason the flag was put on the capitol and it had absolutely nothing to do with Confederate dead of southern heritage.

It was put there as a prominent middle finger to the federal government AND to blacks.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: GUITARPLAYER

The answer is no.

It was still on the statehouse grounds. They moved that confederate memorial to the statehouse and started flying the battle flag in 1962 in response to the civil rights movement.

edit on 10-7-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
i wonder if in germany there are staues and schools named after hitler and goebbels? in japan do they have statues and schools named after hirohito? does italy have mussolini high school?

in russian and china do they oh wait they do.

the thing that freaks me out is that a lot of atrocities and injustices have been committed under the u.s flag as well and i think it's time we start to acknowledge that as well. i'm not saying ban the u.s flag but it's time we get out of denial if we want to put our own evil history behind us.
edit on 10-7-2015 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: GUITARPLAYER

regarding the rising sun flag of japan.

just a small correction here. Japan still does fly the rising sun flag all the time. it's used at sporting events, ships fly it for good luck, even us military units stationed in Japan wear it, the Japanese maritime defense force along with their ground defense forces all wear it. asahi beer uses it. it's flown for good luck by average Japanese people. the only ones that don't like the Japanese rising sun flag are south Koreans and Chinese who feel it represents Japanese imperialism.

swastikas are still prominent in almost every serious Buddhist temple.

just sayn.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: GUITARPLAYER

Are we talking about Japan or Germany's policies ....no

We're talking about the U.S. and it's reasoning behind banning this flag but still allowing that one to be produced and flown here.

But nice detraction

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join